Not a good look for Bryan PD

5,316 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cslifer
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apologies if this has been discussed but it's the first time I've seen it. The video is two years old, but still raises some questions...especially at the end.

toolshed
AG
Not sure what you think "doesn't look good"? The officers have a guy, acting strangely, maybe within his rights, with a gun in reach of him, under a T-shirt. He lies about having the gun. He's recording the whole thing. Apparently he had done it earlier in the day, recorded a stop.

Seems to me the guy is a odd person, trying to catch the cops doing something wrong, on his on mission to record someone in the act of violating one of his rights. He even says as much on the video.

I think the officers handled it fine, trying to assess the situation with what knowledge they had, asked all the questions they could, and let him go with a warning. They didn't freak out or panic when they figured out he had a gun. I think they were truly trying to determine if there was a law being broken and in the end let him go with a warning, despite his suspicious behavior. Kudos the the Bryan PD.
cslifer
What is the "bad look"? Was it the part where there were polite and professional? The part where they stated he was within his rights? The part where they did good police work and investigated the situation to make sure he wasn't up to anything other than being an idiot? Please explain.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
The bad look is at the end when one tells the other two officers to make sure their body cams were off. Yes, they were polite and thorough, which is what you would expect. Geez, it's so easy to rile people up on this board. But, the man was within his rights and did nothing wrong. It isn't illegal to be creepy and record the cops. They're recording you.
cslifer
They make sure their cameras are off at the end of the stop so that things not related to the stop aren't recorded. Officers discussing things amongst themselves isn't recorded.
Nosh
Never talk to police and record any personal interaction as much as possible. Take your ticket and move on.

The fishing was a bit much, but otherwise the cops were fine. Even if these auditors are trying to bait cops (and they are despite what they say) into overreach, the police should check egos and still submit to constitutional protections and tcole protocal. I'd encourage people to know as much of the Texas penal code as possible.
Red Krow
Great job Bryan PD! They handled a potentially dangerous situation very well. They investigated a suspicious acting person to see if he was breaking the law. The whole traffic stop was handled with respect. I'm proud to have these officers patrolling our city!

As far as the end of the video, maybe he had something of a personal nature to say that he didn't want recorded. Maybe he wanted to talk about the Aggie football game that week, who knows? I certainly would not want everything I say in a day to be recorded for all to hear.
Nosh
Also Bryan PD seem to have a great professional reputation.
Stupe
S
Posters disagreeing with you is "riled up"?
BQ_90
AG
To me this seemed like the one officer talking in the background was training the other guy? That's how I viewed it. Also I've had Bryan PD pull me over for not having my headlights on. They could have been jerks about it and gave me a ticket, just gave me a warning and where very professional.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Yes. Because my opinion is correct.

Joking.
Stupe
S
So you're doing a general board trolling job. At least that is out in the open on page 1 and hopefully everyone will see that and leave it alone so it will go off of the page or just not argue with you.
TChaney
Fonzie Scheme
AG
No, not at all. If this was the _____ Police Department, I'm wondering if the thoughts would be the same. I have known many Bryan PD officers through the years (no, not because they arrested me) and I have enjoyed a great relationship with all of them.

I never said this video is a representation of the Bryan Police Department. I said it was a "bad look" for them; as in, from the outside looking in. This trio handled themselves with the epitome of professionalism and respect. But, their actions betray their intentions. They were trying to find a reason to arrest this person, but still came up snake eyes.

And, no, previous poster, I don't think they were talking football when one told the other two to make sure their body cams were off.

I'm not calling for names, ranks, badge numbers, and definitely not heads. But, does that not mean that we cannot view our public defenders through a critical eye?

I think the person in the car was purposely trying to bate the police into some civil liberties showdown. Does that not mean this video couldn't (or shouldn't) be used as a possible training tool to make Bryan PD an even better police force?
Stupe
S
Quote:

I never said this video is a representation of the Bryan Police Department.
To the dismay of the person in the car, those officers were polite and professional. I hope that the video is representative of most of BPD.

Quote:

I think the person in the car was purposely trying to bate the police into some civil liberties showdown. Does that not mean this video couldn't (or shouldn't) be used as a possible training tool to make Bryan PD an even better police force?
I think that it could be used as a training tool.
That was a perfect way to handle someone that was doing just enough to initiate contact with the police in order to bait them into a civil liberties issue and they didn't take the bait.

It could be used as a "This is how you handle this situation" training tool.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Great news! We agree!
Stupe
S
You have to agree. Because my opinion is correct.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Just quit finding things, Stupe, about which to get your knickers twisted.

It's a worse look.
Aggie
AG
I don't know why but all these people that record traffic stops annoy the hell outta me.

You see thousands of videos on YouTube with people bragging about how they owned a " clueless cop" ..
yeah you may have the right and know your rights.. but if you're not in the wrong why not just cooperate 100% and make the officers job a little easier and smoother and move on.

Instead you see ass hats
" oh I'm not identifying myself.. I have committed no crime.. I don't have to give you my ID"

Dumbass world we live in today
Stupe
S
Fonzie Scheme said:

Just quit finding things, Stupe, about which to get your knickers twisted.

It's a worse look.
Ah, back to that.
The poster that started a thread trying to put a bad spin on something that BPD did well is telling others not to get upset about something.

And probably doesn't see the humor in that.
Stupe
S
Based on the "Sure, Jan", I guess you and a couple of others missed my joke about using your own statement earlier in the thread.
FlyRod
"Bate" the police???
hot dog
AG
I felt the exact same way until I was completely taken advantage of by a small town cop. Really soured me.
gibby03
AG
Looks like a shining piece of positive support here for Bryan PD. This would be a "good look" I guess.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bryan-City-Council-gets-update-on-police-racial-profiling-505741211.html
Sinuso
AG
Thanks to BPD for all they do!
Nosh
Aggie said:

I don't know why but all these people that record traffic stops annoy the hell outta me.

You see thousands of videos on YouTube with people bragging about how they owned a " clueless cop" ..
yeah you may have the right and know your rights.. but if you're not in the wrong why not just cooperate 100% and make the officers job a little easier and smoother and move on.

Instead you see ass hats
" oh I'm not identifying myself.. I have committed no crime.. I don't have to give you my ID"

Dumbass world we live in today
This is why. /eyeroll. Whats wrong with knowing your rights and abiding by the law? Police go fishing all the time. It will only be used against you.
Nosh
TChaney said:

The only thing I found odd was this quote from the officer at the 4:30 mark

"We have had, in Bryan people videotape officers before (for) for wrong reasons in order to try to do them harm"

I'm really curious now what those incidents were. Anyone have any insight?
Even if that were true, it is a constitutionally protected act, safeguarded by the 1st amendment.
cslifer
I don't see a lot of connection between the morons you see on YouTube and the situation in Houston. Care to elaborate?
cslifer
Nobody is saying it isn't constitutionally protected. So is filming kids playing outside a daycare, both may lead to the cops asking you questions, don't forget that they have the same rights as you when it comes to speech.
Nosh
cslifer said:

Nobody is saying it isn't constitutionally protected. So is filming kids playing outside a daycare, both may lead to the cops asking you questions, don't forget that they have the same rights as you when it comes to speech.
Point being, whether the point of filming was to cause them harm or not, it is a protected act.
Nosh

[We have been clear that posters will be polite on this forum. -Staff]
cslifer
So I will take that as a no, you are unable to draw an intelligent connection between the two.
cslifer
ok...nobody said it wasn't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.