Thai Tailor coming to town

7,126 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Monywolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FYI - if you are in need of a custom suit, jacket, pants, or shirts, Bobby Garia will be making a stop in College Station March 2-3.

I highly recommend him.

Edited spelling
AggiePhil
AG
Sounds like a scam.
jeffk
AG
It's not. Bobby does great stuff.
Monywolf
It's probably not for you.
AggiePhil
AG
Do you have more info about this guy/service?
UmustBKidding
Lots of other threads about him but here is one about custom suits on the metroplex board that has some information about him. https://texags.com/forums/37/topics/2939848
There are many Ags that use him, some even fly to Asia to meet him if the is not going to be back soon enough. For people that wear a suit every day its cheaper to pay the plane ticket and hotel than to buy a custom domestically produced suit.

Monywolf
He's got an Instagram site as well as the info posted above. I'll find that and post.
AggiePhil
AG
Thanks. I wear a suit most days but have never heard of this guy. A quick Google search for "Thai tailor" said it's a scam so I was unsure.
Monywolf
I should have provided more detail in the OP - my bad.

I have 4 of his suits and a few shirts. I plan on buying more suits and a few sports jackets when he comes back through town.

His Instagram is https://www.instagram.com/_bg_4eva_/
techno-ag
AG
He's the real deal. A lot of people on Varsity & AO use him. He flies in and goes to the major cities. You visit his hotel room, he measures, you tell him what you want. He flies back and produces everything in his shop that fits you to a T, then airmails it to you. Lots of happy Ags so I guess that's why he's including a stop in BCS this year.
trouble
AG
He's amazing.
Average Joe
AG
I'm going to assume this is one of those "if you have to ask you can't afford it" moments.
jeffk
AG
Prices really aren't that bad (compared to other tailored options).
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Bobby is awesome! Stayed at our house with my family last time he came to town. Fantastic quality at very reasonable prices.
BCS-Ag
So how do you select material? Can someone give us some rough idea of pricing & turnaround time? How do bc you contact him? I need a new suit right before summer.
denied
jeffk said:

Prices really aren't that bad (compared to other tailored options).

So can somebody actually quantify? I have never heard numbers put to this guy. Can I get shirts for $80 and a suit for $400? Less, more?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Let me try to answer a few questions;

You set a time to meet with Bobby, he measures you, you look through books to choose material, buttons, etc. it's all custom so you're choosing exterior material, lining, etc. Can feel overwhelming but my wife helped me and we had fun. You can also bring pictures from internet or something you already own and love.

Prices range because of material quality but generally it's this:

Suits from 450 to 1100
Shirts from 55 to 95
Blazersfrom 220 to 450
Slacks 90 to 130.
Tux from 550 to 1150.

Prices all depending on the material and styles.

As far as turn around time, he ships from Thailand, and I think you get it in about 4-6 weeks.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
One last thing on pricing: I'm a simple guy who has never spent much money on clothes, but I had a couple friends come last time Bobby came to town, and they told me his suits are generally about 1/3 what they would pay for the same quality in the US. So a $500 suit would be a $1500 suit, etc.
Carny89
Bespoke??
AggiePhil
AG
Thanks for the thread. I now have an appointment with him on the 2nd.
Eliminatus
AG
Do yall know how often he comes by this area?

I am done with off the rack stuff from now on, but have no immediate need of suits this year. I am sure I will be in the market next year however.
jeffk
AG
About once a year through the Houston and DFW areas.

And Chris did a good job summing up the prices. I'm positive I'm on the very low spending end of his client list but I tell him what I need and can afford to pay and he's really good about getting me set up with some stuff that looks really nice. And his stuff just lasts a long, long time compared to department store clothes. I still wear dress shirts I got from his and his dad's b&m store in Bangkok 10+ years ago. He can also make jeans which I've heard are amazing, but never have tried.
jcst
AG
How do you go about setting up an appointment?
jeffk
AG
My email is in my profile. Send a message and I'll forward you his contact info.
K2T2
I was really hoping this was some sort of new Subway-Chipotle-Freebird's style build your own Thai bowl restaurant coming.
ratfacemcdougal
email sent for contact info.
techno-ag
AG
Carny89 said:

Bespoke??
It's not truly bespoke, which involves multiple trips to the tailor for different measurements. "Made to measure" is a better way to put it. Rather than buying something off the rack and having it altered, he makes it to your size from the start.
ratfacemcdougal
I have an appointment set up. I have a question for those that have done this. Is it cash or credit card ok?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I did cash. Don't remember if CC was an option.
NATE AG03
AG
Anyone know if his suits are canvassed (either 1/2 or full)? I'm sure the higher price point is, but didn't know about the others in his range.
denied
As an FYI he is going to be back in town next week, 8/28-29. Several other places in the state for the next two weeks.
UglyScientist
Bumping thread as recently got word Bobby will be in town April 19-21. He does really great work. I finally got my husband in for an appt last year and he was so pleased with his clothes. I can pass along his contact info if anyone is interested.
TheOC16
AG
What is pricing like? I honestly have more suits than I need (purchased at least 15 in the past few years), but with the way I've seen y'all rave about him before I'd be interested in giving it a shot.

*Edit to add: Nevermind. I see pricing has already been listed above - I can assume it's gone up a bit since then.

That's good pricing for made to measure stuff. However I already have a mtm solution I love, so if I at some point decide to spring for something else I'll probably just pony up for bespoke.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
For the record - I've used Bobby since 2016. He even made the suit I got married in which had a lot of compliments. He's a great man and provides a quality set of clothes you'll be happy. He can make custom
Jeans too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.