Future of Hearne ISD?

8,554 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggieman27
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/hearne-isd-receives-not-accredited-revoked-status-from-tea-at/article_e2c92fdf-44a0-5f1f-b7db-c691f233b53f.html

Quote:

If the accreditation status is upheld as "Revoked," Hearne would no longer be recognized as a Texas public school and could potentially be required to merge with a nearby district.

If this happens, where would the students end up? Bryan ISD? The other districts around Hearne are so small I can't imagine them being asked to absorb that many kids.
tdm89
Prayers for all of the folks who have fled to Mumford.
Wicked Good Ag
tdm89 said:

Prayers for all of the folks who have fled to Mumford.

Why?? It is a way above average small school district
tdm89
Would the state merge Hearne and Mumford or merge Hearne and Bryan? Maybe Hearne and Franklin?

My point is that many folks have fled Hearne to nearby districts because of the problems in Hearne. The problems don't magically disappear by shutting down the school district. The problems originate at home with crappy parents and horrible home lives.

Figure out how to solve the home issues and you'll figure out how to solve the majority of today's problems. Shutting down a school district does nothing.

If anything, keep Hearne open as an alternative campus to send all crappy Bryan, Franklin and Mumford students to, and let the good kids go somewhere else.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Franklin ISD has around 1,000 students total. Hearne has around 900. It would be hard for a school district to double its enrollment overnight. That's why I think Bryan is the likely place as it would be the only district equipped to absorb that many kids.

Not disagreeing with your points and concern but want to try and keep it focused on the question of what could happen to the district and their students as that could be a big impact on one of the area's schools.
EMY92
AG
The Hearne kids would likely still be going to the same schools, just a new admin running things.
JP76
Mumford has around 600 and a long waiting list due to current space.
I don't think the infrastructure is there to handle 900 more students

PS3D
If they did shut down Hearne ISD it would be after a court battle and the buildings of Hearne ISD would likely be kept open unless they were particularly poor shape (modern Hearne High School opened in 2004 I believe). They would either merge it with Bryan, or split it between Gause and Calvert, I don't think they would put too much on one small district.
Aggie
AG
EMY92 said:

The Hearne kids would likely still be going to the same schools, just a new admin running things.

This
Some of you act as if the whole school would completely shut down altogether and bulldozed to the ground.
If Bryan ISD took it over the Hearne students would still be zoned for that school and would still Goto that school and use all the current facilities already in place.
It just would not be Hearne ISD anymore and new administration would be in place.
CS78
tdm89 said:

My point is that many folks have fled Hearne to nearby districts because of the problems in Hearne. The problems don't magically disappear by shutting down the school district. The problems originate at home with crappy parents and horrible home lives.

I Hearne that!
AggiePhil
AG
Sure would be a shame.
buddybee
Take a look at Marlin ISD. They are in the same boat as Hearne. They have been underwater now for 6 years and still allowed to stay open. Your tax dollars at work.
buddybee
Two good examples of the Government Run Schools. Hearne and Marlin. We need school choice.
cavscout96
AG
You have school choice.... Private school... Homeschool....etc.
SW AG80
AG
Or move to a different school district.
EMY92
AG
cavscout96 said:

You have a choice to pay for a second school in addition to the one you are already paying for.
lost my dog
buddybee said:

Two good examples of the Government Run Schools. Hearne and Marlin. We need school choice.
That comes across as a meaningless slogan in this situation. Do you really think a charter school would solve the problems of Hearne ISD?

badbilly
AG
School choice means the dollars follow the kid and not the failing district. Meaning even the most economically disadvantaged kid can go to a private school.
buddybee
Exactly, money follows the student. Even to private school or another district.
ro828
A friend of mine "taught" for a year in Hearne. There's a good reason for the quotation marks, since if one person is going to teach it's necessary for another person or persons to be there to learn. That was the last thing on the students' minds. Hearne is a high crime area with high unemployment, broken homes, and numerous issues that have an adverse affect on the kids.

They need to actively recruit teachers who have a military background to impose some order in those schools. This generation (and it hurts to say it) may be collateral damage, but those who start Kindergarten in that uniformly structured environment will have a chance to succeed.
buddybee
According to TEA Website Supt. for Hearne ISD, Adrain Johnson made (2017-2018 school year) $140,000. That puts him being paid well according to other school districts in Region 6.
lost my dog
A number of people have pointed out the problems with family life and poverty in Hearne. Explain why you think these parents seek out a charter or private school even if it were free.

The parents who care in the Hearne ISD have already moved their kids to Mumford ISD.
TXAggie1976
AG
Hearne Elementary School and the Junior High are already operating as a special Charter School this school year per a bll passed by the Legislature in 2017 for failing school districts to add more time instead of being taken over by the state.
PS3D
TXAggie1976 said:

Hearne Elementary School and the Junior High are already operating as a special Charter School this school year per a bll passed by the Legislature in 2017 for failing school districts to add more time instead of being taken over by the state.
I remember Marlin did something similar, so Marlin Elementary School became "Marlin Primary Academy".
Post removed:
by user
buddybee
Heard talk this morning about Bryan ISD being a possible candidate to take over Hearne ISD.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Quote:

Or move to a different school district.
I'm not saying this to be sarcastic or rude, but those are some very naive / uniformed statements.

Neither of those are easily viable...if at all viable....options for a LOT of people. Especially in a town like Hearne where a high number of families live paycheck to paycheck just to get the basics paid for. Extra money for private school? No chance without a scholarship. "Just move" to a different school district. That's a pipe dream for people that can't save for a down payment and are probably renting.

I'm well aware that a lot of the issues with that district start in the homes, but the kids that want to try and have no other choice deserve the best shot that they can get to break that chain.
techno-ag
AG
buddybee said:

Heard talk this morning about Bryan ISD being a possible candidate to take over Hearne ISD.
Would be interesting to see Bryan get that tax base. IIRC Hearne ISD has the most land in Robertson Co. and the biggest town. Lots of extra $$ for BISD. Then bus those kids to Bryan and back every day.
woodiewood1
they might apportion the school district boundaries in parts to Franklin, Bryan, Mumford, Gause, and Calvert.
PS3D
techno-ag said:

buddybee said:

Would be interesting to see Bryan get that tax base. IIRC Hearne ISD has the most land in Robertson Co. and the biggest town. Lots of extra $$ for BISD. Then bus those kids to Bryan and back every day.
Remember, they would keep the actual schools. Everyone's acting like all the schools in Hearne ISD will be bulldozed.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Hearne is the Haiti of Texas, even Walmart abandoned that place. I won't even drive through it.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

buddybee said:

Remember, they would keep the actual schools. Everyone's acting like all the schools in Hearne ISD will be bulldozed.
We're not sure what will happen. I'm just saying those kids would do better bused and absorbed into Navarro, Davilla, and BHS. Of course, since that's one of the better options, it's least likely to happen.
Oogway
BISD is already quite large in terms of real land boundaries. Their transportation budget dwarfs CSISD in comparison. Sending the students to the physical BISD buildings might be beneficial in some ways, but there are cons to that due to the transportation dollars and time spent on the bus. If CSISD parents complain about their students traveling 5 miles to attend school, 23 miles is four times the distance. If the buildings in Hearne are not in need of repair, it might be that student staying in their community is best but under a different administration.
techno-ag
AG
Oogway said:

BISD is already quite large in terms of real land boundaries. Their transportation budget dwarfs CSISD in comparison. Sending the students to the physical BISD buildings might be beneficial in some ways, but there are cons to that due to the transportation dollars and time spent on the bus. If CSISD parents complain about their students traveling 5 miles to attend school, 23 miles is four times the distance. If the buildings in Hearne are not in need of repair, it might be that student staying in their community is best but under a different administration.
Understood, and to be absolutely clear I'm not saying it will happen. But looking at it from the district's perspective, absorbing Hearne ISD and keeping all the students in Hearne will wreak havoc with their state numbers. Look how carefully College Station spreads out their low socio-ec students among campuses so they don't negatively impact their stats. I just don't see Bryan absorbing Hearne without the option to distribute the students into a larger population to mitigate the impact. But who knows. Hearne still has an appeal coming up.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Look how carefully College Station spreads out their low socio-ec students among campuses so they don't negatively impact their stats.
Just the students and their families.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.