Future of Hearne ISD?

8,555 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggieman27
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mumford said hell no to this. Mumford ISD has a great reputation and a very good school. I do not wish the kids of Hearne ISD to be thrown on them. Mumford ISD does have a say in the matter though.
WTM
badbilly said:

School choice means the dollars follow the kid and not the failing district. Meaning even the most economically disadvantaged kid can go to a private school.
Not really. Based on funding of state vs local etc they came up with a formula for how much money a voucher would be worth. All of the proposals that have been floated in the past few years come in at around $3500. For a typical private school in this area, this would still leave a $6500 tab for the parents. Private schools also still retain the right to have an admission process and deny any that need special services, etc. Realistically school vouchers offer a discount for those families currently in private school.
techno-ag
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

Look how carefully College Station spreads out their low socio-ec students among campuses so they don't negatively impact their stats.
Just the students and their families.
Well that's another issue. If I understand your implications you are saying that a district which spreads out low socio-ec students among many schools does so for reasons that benefit the district. However I would assert that benefits the kids too rather than have them all in one or two poor performing schools.
WTM
techno-ag said:

buddybee said:

Heard talk this morning about Bryan ISD being a possible candidate to take over Hearne ISD.
Would be interesting to see Bryan get that tax base. IIRC Hearne ISD has the most land in Robertson Co. and the biggest town. Lots of extra $$ for BISD. Then bus those kids to Bryan and back every day.
Per Robertson CAD, Hearne ISD has a taxable base of 382 million, Franklin ISD has a taxable base of 1.96 Billion. Hearne would cost a district money, especially when transportation is factored in.
techno-ag
AG
WTM said:

techno-ag said:

buddybee said:

Heard talk this morning about Bryan ISD being a possible candidate to take over Hearne ISD.
Would be interesting to see Bryan get that tax base. IIRC Hearne ISD has the most land in Robertson Co. and the biggest town. Lots of extra $$ for BISD. Then bus those kids to Bryan and back every day.
Per Robertson CAD, Hearne ISD has a taxable base of 382 million, Franklin ISD has a taxable base of 1.96 Billion. Hearne would cost a district money, especially when transportation is factored in.
Wowsers good find. Yeah Hearne is screwed. Nobody wants them.
AgFan247
AG
Quote:

Mumford said hell no to this. Mumford ISD has a great reputation and a very good school. I do not wish the kids of Hearne ISD to be thrown on them. Mumford ISD does have a say in the matter though.
You do realize that the vast majority of students in Mumford SHOULD BE Hearne ISD students. Mumford built a reputation on students zoned to Hearne ISD. Give Hearne ISD all those students back and then they are the ones with the great reputation. Dig into the demographics of Hearne ISD and Mumford ISD.

techno-ag
AG
AgFan247 said:

Quote:

You do realize that the vast majority of students in Mumford SHOULD BE Hearne ISD students. Mumford built a reputation on students zoned to Hearne ISD. Give Hearne ISD all those students back and then they are the ones with the great reputation. Dig into the demographics of Hearne ISD and Mumford ISD.

This is an old canard. Hearne has said for years their good students go to Mumford. They even sued Mumford over it and lost. But if Mumford wasn't there families who wanted out would have found another option.
aggieman27
AG
This is the funniest thing I think I've ever read. So basically Hearne would be a blue ribbon recognized school district if all the Mumford kids went back to Hearne? Surprising comment from a college educated person. Typical Hearne ISD talk. Always like to blame others for their problems.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.