MD Anderson shuttle?

2,971 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looked with no success.
Is there an easier, reliable way to get to MD Anderson without personal vehicle?
Thanks.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Not to my knowledge from CS. But they HAVE extended the hov closer on 290 which helps.
stinkerbelle
When my Aunt was having to take my Uncle to MD Anderson, she was terrified driving in Houston and couldn't make herself drive far enough into Houston to get to MD Anderson so she worked out something where she could park her car once she got as far in to Houston as she could handle and then get an Uber to get her and my Uncle to the hospital and then back to her car. I don't have all of the details of how she was doing it, but I know she referred to it as a lifesaver for her. I am not sure how much they spent doing it that way either. But she still took personal vehicle part way so probably not an option for you either.
carpe vinum
AG
Thanks.
I've thought of that, uber the entire way, and a couple others.
I'm now blind in my left eye, Houston traffic with terrible depth perception is less than ideal especially if early morning.
Tailgate88
AG
Ground Shuttle to Hobby then Uber?
BMo
I'm not aware of one either. I always leave about 20 minutes to five and hit the 290 HOV right around 6 AM. I exit Studemont off of I10 and go across to the Med Center. Much easier than going all around the freeways. Best of luck to you in your fight.

Orlando, how far out is the HOV on 290 now? Have they brought it back out past 1960?
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Home Spark may do transportation only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
iisanaggie
AG
I don't remember which organization it was (maybe American Cancer Society) that helps provide rides to treatment for cancer patients. You might also contact your insurance company or local home health companies to see if they could provide transportation. Praying healing for you!
FNG
My recommendation is to go to Houston the night before and spend the night if possible. If you are having imaging or treatment done, they always want labs early in the morning anyway.

I was fortunate to have family inside the loop to stay with so I could spend the night and then just make a short drive into the medical center in the morning.

There were some times that I did make the drive the morning of my appointments, and once when the big message board on 290 outside the beltway said that there was a wreck at 290 and 43rd (which seems to be every day), I did avoid that cluster by taking the HOV as Han Solo. I didn't have time to add 45 minutes or more onto my commute and miss my PET/CT or MRI time slot.

If I had gotten pulled over, I would have definitely have played the cancer card. Thankfully that didn't happen.

290 is much better than it has been in years since they opened new lanes, but there is always the construction on the west loop to back things up everywhere else.

Good luck to you and God speed. It's not convenient and it's very expensive, and I hope you can find a solution.

The Ground Shuttle to Hobby and Uber to Mr. Anderson's Fun House is not a bad plan. It's not real far from Hobby to the medical center. But you are still looking at some decent money for getting there and back.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
when I had weekly appts back in 2017, I parked my RV at Lakeview RV park on ALT 90 (S. Main)

$500/mo

They have a free shuttle every hour and its only a 10 min drive to the med center from there

They also have small modulars that they rent by the week/month
PS3D
BMo said:

I'm not aware of one either. I always leave about 20 minutes to five and hit the 290 HOV right around 6 AM. I exit Studemont off of I10 and go across to the Med Center. Much easier than going all around the freeways. Best of luck to you in your fight.

Orlando, how far out is the HOV on 290 now? Have they brought it back out past 1960?
They opened the HOT lane back to Huffmeister as it was prior to the construction, though unlike pre-construction it's grade separated (around 2011, they had repainted the inner shoulder out to Huffmeister to be a HOV lane).
JMac03
AG
When I used to live here and work in Houston, many times I would drive down and park at the Cypress Park and Ride, and take the city bus to the Medical Center (worked at Baylor Scott and White). Not that it really saves you a lot of time, but for me it saved headaches of traffic, especially on days that I was tired.
BMo
PS3D said:

BMo said:

They opened the HOT lane back to Huffmeister as it was prior to the construction, though unlike pre-construction it's grade separated (around 2011, they had repainted the inner shoulder out to Huffmeister to be a HOV lane).
Thank you for that information. Not due to go back until the end of April and that does help with that trip.
PS3D
BMo said:

PS3D said:

BMo said:

Thank you for that information. Not due to go back until the end of April and that does help with that trip.
I go from College Station/Houston roundtrip weekly and usually there's a new "surprise" to keep in mind for next time. The big things to watch for:
- Going there, the nastiest "trick" 290 offers is the right two lanes splitting off toward I-10, and leads you to think the other three lanes are for North/South 610 as it says, only to find that you have to go back over to the new two right lanes that enter to actually go into North 610.
- Coming back, there's a few tricks, there's actually two exit-only lanes for FM 1960/SH-6 southbound (stay in the left three)
- The HOT lane exit westbound no longer forces you to merge onto the inner lane, and instead grants you its own lane. This means if you were on lane 3, however, it will suddenly turn into an exit only lane for (Telge, I think)
- You still have to move one lane over as lane 3 is still Exit Only for Mason Road, even all this time later.

The surface streets are a crapshoot, though, never know when they're about to do construction that cuts down everything to a single lane...
Bassmaster
AG
They have a satellite center in The Woodlands at 45 and 242. Much easier to get to.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Medicare provides transportation for certain appointments.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.