PSA: The Remnant Of Nawlins is REALLY REALLY ....GOOOOD

6,441 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Eliminatus
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally tried this place, it's on Grosebeck off Palasota via Finefeather, the old Gina's restaurant..

Best food I've had in this area in a long time. Super nice owners, and not just the best cajun food, I'd put it up against any of the 'greats' around here.

Anyone else been ?

Geralt of Rivia
S
I haven't been in a long time, just because it isn't in my area of town. I agree that it is really good, though.
trouble
AG
It's amazing. We've been going since they moved to that location.
isitjustme
AG
My family go semi-regularly, probably 6-7 times this past year. The food is good and the owners are pretty cool. I heartily recommend it.
bobinator
AG
I still haven't been since they moved, need to get over there.
jja79
AG
Went saturday at lunch. Blacked catfish, friend shrimp, potato salad and green beans. I agree that it's one of the top restaurants in the area regardless of other's acclaim and price point. It's fantastic.
KidDoc
AG
I have been once and enjoyed it. It is BYOB if you like to have a beer with your cajun food.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChampsAg
Owner went on a rant about crawfish over the weekend. Apparently not enough people buying it. Needs to get the word out
aggiemom89
Went a few weeks ago for the first time. It is good, but they were out of all crawfish dishes which was very disappointing.
phatpat21
Went to their old location once and it was phenomenal. Need to make it over to their new place!
mgreen
I am from New Orleans. I try to support them as much as I can. Love it.
AgSportsFan
AG
Went about a month ago. First time visit to new location. Food was great and owner was cool. Saw some past and present Aggie football players eating there too. Will be back soon.

Edit: no idea how that emoji got selected.
eloc62
I went there a few times when they were in CS, and the food was good. Haven't been to the new one. Are they open only during the day?
KidDoc
AG
eloc62 said:

I went there a few times when they were in CS, and the food was good. Haven't been to the new one. Are they open only during the day?
They are open for dinner.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
barbwire
Love their food and yes, everyone's very nice! Try the meat pies - they're delish!
CrazyAgE
So is everything there really spicy? I don't mind a little, but nothing overwhelming
mgreen
CrazyAgE said:

So is everything there really spicy? I don't mind a little, but nothing overwhelming
No.
soccermom94
Are there two If these in town, because y'all can't be talking about the place I went last week.
Slow. Slow. Slow. The dirty rice was terrible.
isitjustme
AG
While they have never set any speed records for service, they've always been really nice. And their food has been as close to authentic Cajun as I have found around here (Hebert's is the other) and I really like their dirty rice and everything else I've had there.
The Anchor
AG
soccermom94 said:

Are there two If these in town, because y'all can't be talking about the place I went last week.

You went a week ago and it moved you so much you searched for this older thread and posted about it? Nice thread bump. I've been a couple of times. Great people and great food.
Old Ag 74
AG
I went a couple of weeks ago also based on the reviews here and was not that impressed. Didn't search out this thread to post a negative review. Just saw that it was still active so thought I would give my two cents worth.

Maybe I just caught them on an off day, but both of the sides I had were cold in the middle, the fried fish was just average, and it took a full 30 minutes to get our food, despite the restaurant being less than half full. Sounds like my experience was not typical, so I'll probably give them another shot.

On a positive note, the people there were very nice, so no complaints on that.
AggieBarstool
soccermom94 said:

Of course they're slow. They're a "mom-and-pop" type place that makes food from scratch, not some some regurgitated frozen garbage like what you'd find at Razoo's.

I've been a couple times and have to say their gumbo and boudin balls are the best I've ever had. I even told Cory? that when he personally checked on us during our meal.
Gigem314
AG
Didn't realize they had moved out of the gas station (good move) and had a bigger location. Will have to check it out!
jja79
AG
No place is spot on every time. No place. And some people don't care for some particular styles of cooking. I've been supporting these people since they were in the gas station at the corner of Welsh and SW. As was mentioned it's cooked from scratch so each time I have found it to be a bit different but always excellent. Now I want to go there again.
DTP02
AG
I'm glad someone posted this thread. I have been meaning to try this place forever and I actually thought it had closed down. I am making plans to go there soon.
wasntme
I've never heard about it before reading this. I went tonight to try it out. It was FANTASTIC! Great food, owner is super nice! Would definitely recommend it, and will definitely be back!
Goat Man
AG
The family and I finally tried this place on Friday. It was packed and the service was slow but somehow my young children made it through a 2 hour dinner without melting down. I am going to chalk it up to the crab legs they kept stealing from my plate. To say our food was excellent would be an understatement.

Cory (sp?) came by after we finished eating to apologize for how long it took the food to come out but I expect service to be slow at a Mom and Pop joint. I've got a lot of family from Baton Rouge and the food tastes just like they prepare. My advice: go enjoy the food/experience and don't worry if you are there a little longer than you would normally stay at a restaurant.
bushytailed
AG
The founder died earlier this week from complications of breast cancer. So sad. Prayers for her family.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/the-remnant-of-nawlins-founder-deborah-miller-dies-at/article_8deaf77c-ab72-11e9-8359-17c3ea8a2b79.html
Eliminatus
AG
bushytailed said:

The founder died earlier this week from complications of breast cancer. So sad. Prayers for her family.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/the-remnant-of-nawlins-founder-deborah-miller-dies-at/article_8deaf77c-ab72-11e9-8359-17c3ea8a2b79.html
She was such a nice person. I always felt like it was stepping into my grandmothers home when I went there. Fantastic food and even better people.

**** cancer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.