Best way to clean wooden blinds?

1,414 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by eloc62
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have some wooden blinds in my kitchen that need more than a dusting to clean them. I have a large kitchen and do a lot of cooking, so I am sure it is a combination of dust and grease. Do you take them outside and use 409 and a scrub brush on them? Pressure washing? Is there a local company that does any thing like this?
Oogway
I wash all of our blinds by removing them and giving them a good wash and rinse.
Murphy's soap is what you might use on yours to remove the grime. Catch a day when it is pleasant weather and you'll be done pretty quick.

I'm sure there are people in town who will do it for you. College Station Maid may know some folks, or may offer that service as well.
Red Krow
If they are real wood blinds be very careful using water on them. Water will warp wood blind slats. My vendors recommend using a cleaner like Pledge. If they are faux wood blinds then you can use water, they are essentially plastic.

Shutters and Blinds

Use a clean, dry feather duster, cloth or vacuum with brush attachment to gently remove dust and debris. To ensure thorough cleaning, wipe the louvers or slats in the open and closed positions. Do not immerse the product in water or use abrasive chemical solvents. This may cause discoloration and the wood to warp. Ultrasonic cleaning is not recommended.

WOOD BLINDS

For blinds with painted and stained finishes, clean with spray polish or Pledge and a soft cloth. For best results, never use water on any wood products.

These are care instructions from two of my vendors. If you are going to use water be very carful not to use too much. Maybe a damp cloth with a very mild degreaser, but I would try it on a slat or two first to see if it warps them. I hope this helps, have a great day!

Andy Krotulski
Made in the Shade, Blinds and More.
979-676-2844
CollegeStationMaid
When I clean blinds, I start with flat/dry swiffer pads to remove the dust. I go slat by slat. If there is grease, I use a very damp cloth with a little greased lightning. It's tedious but gets the job done. Hope that helps.
eloc62
Thanks for the response. The blinds are real wood. College Station maid, do you do this type of service? Could i hire you to do this for me? I have seen seen you post many times on subject's like this, but not sure if you do jobs this small.
CollegeStationMaid
I can and do. Give me a call tomorrow and I'll see what we can do. 979-218-2336

Right now I'm down with a pinched sciatic nerve so it would be middle/end of next week before I could get to you.
eloc62
Great! I will call you. I won't bother you on the weekend, but will call you Monday. I really need to get this done, but it is not an urgent matter. Any time over the next few weeks is fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.