Another quasi-Suddenlink thread

2,595 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dgonzo99
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the other options in south CS?

Internet only

I am done with SL and going to YoutubeTV
95_Aggie
AG
Nothing that matches their internet speeds.
cavscout96
AG
I don't need 1G speeds. I am currently on the 50gB bundle.
91_Aggie
AG
yep, nothing that matches Suddenlink for internet.
Frontier, if actually still an option, is horrible.

If you are going to go the streaming route for your TV options, then you'll likely end up with Suddenlink.
cavscout96
AG
nope. done with SL. I'll go without TV and use my phone as an internet hotspot before I pay them another dime.
UmustBKidding
Internet options are limited, and unfortunately south College Station is not nearly specific enough to properly enumerate the potential few viable options. Many end up keeping Suddenlink for internet because there is no other option. And any other option will likely be at a higher price for a given speed.
I understand wanting to cut the cord but today is likely it heyday as more content owners are restricting their content to their own streaming platform. As this progresses you may end up having to have a half dozen packages to get what you need.
Potential non SuddenLink internet options: WireStar (Very limited areas), Frontier (better in some places than others), BrazosWiFi (WISP, but even they will likely tell you use suddenlink if available). There are others but not that I would recommend.
cavscout96
AG
It's less about cord cutting and more about absolutely horrendous customer service. The only TV I watch with any regularity is Aggie sports.

I need net access for work from home and schoolwork and, now, occasional streaming. No gaming, not a heavy streaming user. Max 4 devices. 2 phones; 2 laptops, but generally only 2 at any give time.

we're generally near Fitch / Hwy 6
BrazosWifi
cavscout96 said:

It's less about cord cutting and more about absolutely horrendous customer service. The only TV I watch with any regularity is Aggie sports.

I need net access for work from home and schoolwork and, now, occasional streaming. No gaming, not a heavy streaming user. Max 4 devices. 2 phones; 2 laptops, but generally only 2 at any give time.

we're generally near Fitch / Hwy 6

Check WireStar.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
cavscout96
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Internet options are limited, and unfortunately south College Station is not nearly specific enough to properly enumerate the potential few viable options. Many end up keeping Suddenlink for internet because there is no other option. And any other option will likely be at a higher price for a given speed.
I understand wanting to cut the cord but today is likely it heyday as more content owners are restricting their content to their own streaming platform. As this progresses you may end up having to have a half dozen packages to get what you need.
Potential non SuddenLink internet options: WireStar (Very limited areas), Frontier (better in some places than others), BrazosWiFi (WISP, but even they will likely tell you use suddenlink if available). There are others but not that I would recommend.

Thanks.
UmustBKidding
Ya I understand bad service, and as bad as SuddenLink is Frontier can be worse. The only reason I use it is there is no other option here and when I have a problem I call people I know that work there not their call center.
In that area you may be able to get WireStar for internet. They have a DSLAM in the Post Oak CO behind tower point. So within ~5000' they may be able to service you. You also have to no be behind a remote terminal. So this area would likely include older areas of Castle Gate, some areas of Nantucket and maybe even areas near lakeway on east side of 6. Calling them they likely can quickly tell you if you are in their service area. They use VDSL the same technology as UVerse.
cavscout96
AG
Thanks. I'll give them a shout.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I haven't had any issues with their internet. I dropped directv and have been on youtube tv, but I upped my internet to unlimited and that came with 400 speed. It's been great. No issues at all. I dislike the Suddenlink monopoly as well, but the service they're provided me has been fine.
Gigem314
AG
I'm as big of a SL critic as any, and wish we had some real competition here.

That said, I have the 200 unlimited package (grandfathered in now they've changed it) and provided my own modem (which is actually about 6 years old and needs to be replaced) and haven't had any major issues with internet service.

I'm pleasantly surprised. I think a key is buying a quality modem on your own and not using the inferior equipment they offer.

I do use YouTubeTV and couldn't be happier. Don't think i'll ever go back to cable/satellite.
taxpreparer
AG
You could see if Brazos WiFi is available. We have their 30 meg service and it works pretty good. We use ut with PS Vue.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
cavscout96
AG
WireStar and Rise seem to be the only other options available.

Unfortunately, Brazos WiFi not available at my location.

saltydog13
AG
As a rise broadband customer, I would kill to have suddenlink internet. Customer service seems to lack in the internet/tv arena no matter what you have. (Except Brazos WiFi of course) My only hope is that new neighborhood development finally gets them to build out to us.
cavscout96
AG
I'll take my chances. SL can take a hike.
dgonzo99
I have paid a lot to be a VIP customer for years. Part of the plan was not to be charged for repair visits. NOW it is 65 dollars per visit. Why pay that much to be a VIP customer when you get nothing for it? But they are the only game in town. Come on cities, get some competition!!!!!
dgonzo99
I am going in to the local office this Tuesday. The same tech I talked to said the local office is open on Saturdays until 6pm. Went over there, and they are never open on Saturdays according to what is posted on the front door. If he doesn't even know when they are open, he might not know anything about VIP service. Hope he is wrong, but I doubt it on this one!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.