Dinner place to take out-of-town coworkers

4,493 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
madeye03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Several newcomers to Aggieland for a conference. Where should we take them for dinner?
Koko Chingo
AG
I am assuming you want to go somewhere different than from what your group can get back in their hometowns. A few questions to help get you good responses from the board:

What kind of atmosphere / price point - (fancy,casual, etc.)
How big of a group?
Where are the people from?

I like taking people from up north or way out west to Fargo's, All the Kings Men, or Remnant of Nawlins.

For big groups and upscale, I like Casa do Brazil (not unique, but really good).
madeye03
AG
3 people from Lubbockall Tech fans. Casual+. Price point in the $-$$$ range. Just looking for something unique without being mainstream, any-town TX.
Koko Chingo
AG
I think All The Kings Men in downtown Bryan would be good. Their candied pork belly burnt ends (appetizer) were just recognized by TX Monthly. And they are awesome. Its a cool place and you can walk around to other places depending on what time it is. The Proudest Monkey and Rx Pizza are open late for drinks.

https://www.atkmbbq.com/

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-best-texas-bbq-bites-of-2018/

KidDoc
AG
Kings men sounds good for that. Great whiskey selection also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tmaggies
AG
Just tried the Bavarian Brauhaus in downtown Bryan and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and dinner.
madeye03
AG
Thank you, Koko Chingo for the suggestion and the article links. That's seems perfect. KidDoc, your mention of the whiskeys is right on for the crowd I'm asking about. tmaggies reminds me that downtown Bryan is really the place to be. I've lived here for for almost 20 years, but rarely venture out. I think these suggestions are just what I needed to show these folks a good time.
techno-ag
AG
Take them out to Top of the Hill on OSR. It's a hole in the wall place, but they'll be amazed how good the burgers are.
halibut sinclair
DBSwooper
madeye03 said:

Several newcomers to Aggieland for a conference. Where should we take them for dinner?
After eating in downtown at one of the many unique and amazing places, take them down to 5-knocks to finish out the night. If you haven't been it is a really neat place.
AggieBarstool
The standard answers apply, in order from most casual > most "fancy."

• First Watch
  • Napa Flats
  • Amico Nave
  • Paolo's Italian Kitchen
  • Cafe Eccell
  • Luigi's
  • Madden's Casual Gourmet
  • Casa do Brasil
  • Porter's
  • Brazos - Proper Texas Kitchen
  • Christopher's
  • Republic Steakhouse
  • Veritas
jrhmc
AG
All the King's Men and 5 Knocks for the win
biobioprof
AggieBarstool said:

The standard answers apply, in order from most casual > most "fancy."

• Amico Nave
  • Paolo's Italian Kitchen
  • Cafe Eccell
  • Luigi's
  • Madden's Casual Gourmet
  • Christopher's
  • Republic Steakhouse
  • Veritas

These days, based on where people are taking seminar speakers, add Porter's in Century Square, the Brazilian place, and the Brazos Proper Texas Kitchen to the bottom part of the list.

For the Brazos Proper Texas Kitchen, people may not realize there's a parking garage where Cain Hall used to be that's something like a $2 flat rate. The only time I was there I parked in the Kyle Field lot off Wellborn.

edit to add: The few Yelpers seem to hate the Brazos Proper Texas Kitchen. I've only been once and wouldn't be as harsh as they are, it's fair to say that I wouldn't pick them over the Republic or Veritas or some of the others on the previous list. The location is definitely unique though.
AggiePirate
AG
Hot Dogs Etc. hands down.
AggieBarstool
Heh. Totally spazzed on Porters and the Brazilian steakhouse. Never heard of the 3rd one.
75AG
AG
Good list, but I would never place Veritas above The Republic in terms of "fancy". But that's just me.
nought
AG
75AG said:

Good list, but I would never place Veritas above The Republic in terms of "fancy". But that's just me.

In terms of decor, Republic is fancier. In terms of food, Veritas wins.
Tailgate88
AG
Napa Flats
75AG
AG
Agree to disagree on that one
KidDoc
AG
nought said:

75AG said:

In terms of decor, Republic is fancier. In terms of food, Veritas wins.
I agree with this.

But both are excellent- as is Christopher's and Porter's. We are lucky to have excellent higher end places in a town this size.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieBarstool
Yeah, quality of food was what I was going for.
OBannonsPub
AG
Ronin in Downtown Bryan is a pretty cool spot if you are looking for a place on the weekend
Wicked Good Ag
All of the above are good places
I would add Koppe Bridge as well to go with the aura of BCS
tmaggies
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

All of the above are good places
I would add Koppe Bridge as well to go with the aura of BCS

Hamburgers just ok and if you love Vietnamese produced catfish be sure to sample that.
justcallmeharry
S
AggiePirate said:

Hot Dogs Etc. hands down.
The hot dog sundae is a great finish to any meal.
Cancelled
AG
I really like Poppy at Cent Sq
tmaggies
AG
I have been informed Koppe Bridge no longer serves the Vietnamese catfish to their customers. Myself and others are satisfied you no longer are misleading your customers with an inferior product. I am sure the Catfish Farmers of America are pleased too. Thank you Koppe Bridge.......
Belton Ag
AG
Note to self: Never try and serve Vietnamese catfish to tmaggies...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.