Total Lunar Eclipse this coming Sunday night, Jan 20

2,718 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Okay guys, this coming Sunday night, Jan. 20th, there will be a total lunar eclipse visible from our area. This means the Moon will be totally within the Earth's shadow for approx. an hour. During that time the Moon will be quite dark, with various shades of red, orange, copper, and possibly blue being exhibited. At present, the weather forecast for the B/CS area is favorable for clear skies. Fingers crossed!

The initial partial phase begins for us at 9:33PM. This phase will barely have any effect on the Moon visibly to start with. It will gradually darken, but will likely not be noticeable until closer to the total phase. Shortly before totality, there can be some dramatic lighting effects, so I wouldn't discount this phase completely.

Totality begins at 10:41PM, and lasts until 11:43PM. This is the most appealing phase, with a variety of colors and shading present. The Moon can become quite dark during this phase, and can be somewhat difficult to locate in the sky, especially if lots of distracting lights are in the vicinity. A viewing site away from city lights will be preferable.

After totality ends, another partial phase kicks in until 12:50AM on Monday morning.

Because of the timing of the event, the Moon will be high in the sky for us. Don't get a crick in your neck looking up!

This is from South College Station of the eclipse in 2014.

One from the eclipse of 2010.

For more detailed info on the upcoming eclipse, see here.
techno-ag
AG
Hope it's not raining.
halibut sinclair
Gibbs Slap
Loaded
AG
techno-ag said:

Hope it's not raining.
Forecast is for clear skies that night
CS78
I'd really like for our kids to see this but hate to keep them up that late. It took 3 days to get them lined out after a 10:30 new years eve. Thanks for posting!
techno-ag
AG
Looking good so far, visibility wise. A few clouds to the west ATM.
labmansid
Yeah, been eying those high clouds all afternoon. They shouldn't pose too big a problem. There is that band of clouds to the west moving this way I hope is gone for the big event.
Txmoe
AG
Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. It is most appreciated!
TexasAggie_02
AG
I think the times you posted are eastern. This website shows it starting an hour earlier.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/houston
curry97
AG
Looks pretty awesome so far.
bushytailed
AG
I love how the clouds cleared up right as it started.
Goat Man
AG
That was worth the price of admission. Thanks labmansid.
labmansid
Whoo! Just got back inside trying to warm my hands back up. It was pretty cool, literally.
labmansid
Here are a few from earlier using the telescope.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Mercury will pass in front of the sun on November 11

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/bryan-college-station?iso=20191111
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.