Dogs in Grocery Stores

6,772 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BQ_90
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today at Krogers on Boonville and last week at the Tower Point HEB, people have had regular dogs on leashes. The people were not blind and needed no assistance. The dogs did not have on special vests identifying them as assistance dogs.

Is this not a Health Department violation?

(I know this opens a can of worms about a lot of situations. I can handle most everything but in the grocery store.)
AggieBaseball06
AG
Service animals aren't required to wear vests or anything that identifies them as a service animal.
Builder93
AG
I think you are confused about which animal was actually the service animal.
Love Gun
AggieBaseball06 said:

Service animals aren't required to wear vests or anything that identifies them as a service animal.

Correct, but managers have the right to ask:

1. Is that animal a service dog; and

2. What special tasks does this animal perform?

If the person with the dog cannot answer both of these questions, they need to GTFO. The bad part is people these days lack the courage to ask and are too worried about offending people.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Love Gun said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

If the person with the dog cannot answer both of these questions, they need to GTFO. The bad part is people these days lack the courage to ask and are too worried about offending people.

That is spot on. I've managed a couple of places and have had to deal with this situation on a few occasions. Which leads to my next question... Did the OP talk to a manager about it?
Aggie
AG
What the chit is it with people and their dogs?

Was at a local restaurant and a college age girl had a small dog in like a beach bag. When manger told her she couldn't have the dog she got upset and couldn't figure out why.

And I have seen dogs in supermarkets as well.

It's 100% a health code violation.. you can't bring a dog into a supermarket just as you can't bring a dog to a restaurant, unless it's a trained / certified service dog.
Tim Weaver
Meh.

Most dogs are cleaner than some of the people I see shopping. I'd take a dog in the grocery over little kids fondling all my produce and sneezing on the cold cuts....

Plus, dogs make me smile......
SumAggie
Another thing ruined for the few who truly need the assistance by fanatics and idiots...
Love Gun
Here is the thing:

- There are service dogs that are legit and actually help their owner. These dogs are pretty much allowed anywhere.

- There is a new fad these days with "emotional support dogs/animals" brought on by a bunch of people that dare others to question them. Not sure where this crap started, but it reminds me of the Paris Hilton's of the world.

You can literally buy vests and certifications for these "support" animals online. These are the people that care not for rules, but want to be able to take their dogs anywhere. Airlines have actually had problems with these people lately because they bent the rules just an inch, and people took advantage of it - so much to where someone actually tried to board with an "emotional support lizard".

The thing is, businesses need to firm up their policies regarding animals (less service dogs) and actually get a spine and enforce it.
Love Gun
Dogs might make you smile, but rules are rules. This type of "but their feelings (the dog owner's)" thinking is exactly what these people want from others.
Carnwellag2
AggieBaseball06 said:

well - this is absurd.....they don't have to be identified and you can't ask what their purpose is....... this is another example of the downfall of America
Carnwellag2
Tim Weaver said:

Meh.

Most dogs are cleaner than some of the people I see shopping. I'd take a dog in the grocery over little kids fondling all my produce and sneezing on the cold cuts....

Plus, dogs make me smile......
well as long as it makes YOU happy
stinkerbelle
There is a lady with her dog in the Walmart on 2818 and Villa Maria all of the time. This dog is the size of a horse. Every time I have seen them, it is always on the grocery side.
agnerd
AG
Love Gun said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Problem is that #1 you don't have to provide any proof that your dog is a service dog and #2 people are liars. Nothing stopping me from taking a Chihuahua into HEB, saying it's a service dog and that it has been trained to alert to my (nonexistent) seizures.
Love Gun
I agree, but that is the law. If people choose to break it, that's on them.
studioone

well... considering i cant stand dogs in any way, shape or form, and im completely terrified of them, i dont want them anywhere near where i shop...
BrandoC
AG
Obviously service dogs are the exception but I cannot stand people brining dogs anywhere other than the dog park. No sense in it.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hey, staff. You deleted my harmless attempt to add a little humor to this thread. Fine, you can make that decision. But if you're going to do that make it so it doesn't show up in my watch list. So done with this board and the "moderation." That comment gets removed but the resident power-users can post whatever they want.
jja79
AG
More annoying than dogs at the store is dog owners who think I/we want to see pictures of their dogs and hear the story of how the photo opportunity came about.
RGRAg1/75
AG
agnerd said:

Love Gun said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Problem is that #1 you don't have to provide any proof that your dog is a service dog and #2 people are liars. Nothing stopping me from taking a Chihuahua into HEB, saying it's a service dog and that it has been trained to alert to my (nonexistent) seizures.

Very specific example that I actually witnessed last month in TPA. Woman was getting ready to pre-board because, well she had a "disability" of some kind. She was holding a chihuahua, and a guy next to me started asking her about it.

Her: "oh this is my service animal. He and I have a very close bond. He actually saved my life when he alerted me that something was wrong. It turns out I almost had an aneurism. He detected it and alerted me to it!!! Now he has to go everywhere with me to alert me of possible aneurisms."

Is **** you not. That's almost verbatim what she said. The "service animal" fad is so far out of control, I don't know how it can be reeled back in. It's really unfortunate. Those who abuse the system only end up screwing the people and creating stigma for those who actually need have an issue.
Aggie
AG
Emotional Support Dog

Anyone else read that and think .. "where the hell are we in society where this is even a thing?"

Seriously .. a effing emotional support dog?
woodiewood1
A couple of months ago in the HEB on Texas ave there were two college age gals with their dogs sitting in the small section of the shopping cart which to me is unsanitary. It is very doubtful that they were service dogs, but just a neat thing to take my pet with me.

And no, I didn't contact the manager. I also don't call the police if I see someone changing lanes with out using a blinker.

woodiewood1
Aggie said:

Emotional Support Dog

Anyone else read that and think .. "where the hell are we in society where this is even a thing?"

Seriously .. a effing emotional support dog?

In our country's history, in the early days settlers went west and fought the weather elements without help, cleared land and built homes. During the depression days people survived and then fought in WWI and then the Greatest Generation came along and went to war for years with many not coming back and those in the U.S. working in the war factories. Friends and relatives went to the swamps and jungles of Vietnam many came home in body bags and many others with PTSD.

Not referring to true service dogs, but now we need an emotional support dog with us in order to purchase Ramen noodles in the grocery store?
annie88
AG
nm
Bullpen Chias
AG
I was in at the Pappadeuxs in Arlington a couple years ago and woman brought in a large dog with her and sat down at table next to us. After a couple minutes, I realized it was Chris Kyle's wife and it was her emotional support dog. Im typically not a fan of people bringing their dogs everywhere, but it made me stop and think that there are probably people out there that do really need them.
FlyRod
[You are not going to do a General Board derail on this board. -Staff]
src94
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

Love Gun said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

That is spot on. I've managed a couple of places and have had to deal with this situation on a few occasions. Which leads to my next question... Did the OP talk to a manager about it?
Exactly. And Emotional Support animals are not Service Animals

https://www.adatitleiii.com/2018/08/service-animals-vs-emotional-support-animals-ferreting-out-the-truth/
Tim Weaver
Ya'll that are worried about a dog in the little part of the grocery cart? What about the fact that that section is specifically designed for babies with poopie diapers.

Never thought of that didjya? hahahaha....
Tim Weaver
Fact of the matter is, any public space is full of germs and cooties. The dogs don't make it any worse.

I'm not advocating dogs in food areas at all. I'm just saying it doesn't bother me and that people are typically far worse animals than dogs are.....
cslifer
Why would his wife need one more than anyone else? This sounds harsh but are you saying because she had a well known husband murdered she gets to take her dog everywhere?
justalocal
Trying to remember where I saw the girl with the cat last week....HEB or maybe Target.
src94
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Ya'll that are worried about a dog in the little part of the grocery cart? What about the fact that that section is specifically designed for babies with poopie diapers.

Never thought of that didjya? hahahaha....
True, and i agree for the most part.
I was in a situation where a student had a full size dog (like a German Shepherd but was a mix) in a study area in a building on campus. I was unaware of the dog until, as I approached and walked by the area, the dog rose and barked at me. I'm not saying i did and I'm not saying I didn't, but I may have had to wash my pants that night. the guy tried to tell me it was an emotional support animal. I asked him the required questions and got the answers from him that allowed me to boot his butt out of the building. Scared the crap out of me! I'm not scared of dogs in any way, but i was not expecting it in that environment.
RGRAg1/75
AG
cslifer said:

Why would his wife need one more than anyone else? This sounds harsh but are you saying because she had a well known husband murdered she gets to take her dog everywhere?

Not many widows walking around (percentage wise) whose husband was murdered. He only knew her husband was murdered bc he recognized woman as his wife. Nothing to do with Kyle being "well known," as you said. She would've just been some woman with a big ass dog at her table if he didn't know better.
cslifer
Exactly, just a woman with a dog in a restaurant. He implied that because of who she was she needs it. Nobody needs or is entitled to a pet in a restaurant.
Aggie
AG
cslifer said:

Exactly, just a woman with a dog in a restaurant. He implied that because of who she was she needs it. Nobody needs or is entitled to a pet in a restaurant.

I agree with this

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.