Bicycle rider killed near Peach Creek Cutoff [Staff Edit on OP]

12,429 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PS3D
JimInBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Prayers to the family of the bicycle rider struck and killed today in College Station. . Many of us in BCS ride this same route. Not many details released yet.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/one-killed-in-collision-between-bicycle-and-vehicle-off-texas/article_e2ef5340-1071-11e9-b01a-530c352d572e.html

[Due to the sensitivity of this thread, we are not going to allow statements that point any amount of blame on either person in this incident at this time. As information is release by any local law enforcement we will allow it on here. We are going to error on the side of caution and some posts may be deleted or edited if they can be construed as blaming one or the other at this time. Thank you. -Staff]
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Very sad.

Watch out for bicyclists and motorcyclists. Stay alert.
dave99ag
AG
Aweful news!

Prayers for their family.
dubi
AG
What a tragedy.

Prayers for the victim's family.
farmersfight
AG
So sad to hear, this is where I always biked on my training rides.

Prayers for the families affected.
dubi
AG
Quote:

UPDATE:
Authorities have identified the person killed in a collision between a vehicle and bicycle Friday afternoon.
According to Sgt. Stephen Woodard with the Department of Public Safety, 47-year-old College Station resident Kenneth Spence was killed in the collision.

Woodard said Spence was riding a bicycle northbound on the access road of Texas 6 near the intersection of Peach Creek around 4 p.m. when he was hit from behind by a Suburban. The driver of the Suburban told authorities the sun was their eyes.
Authorities said Spence was taken to a local hospital, where he later died. No charges have been filed. The incident remains under investigation.

Kbtx
momlaw
AG
This rider lived in my neighborhood. I saw him cycling often. He was always a courteous cyclist, minding traffic and road etiquette.

What an incredible tragedy.
momlaw
Love Gun
This happened to a Captain that I served with when I was stationed in San Diego. A guy in a van hit him while he was biking to work and didn't even stop to render aid. Capt Patrick Klokow was a helluva Marine officer. RIP
birdman
Hate to hear that. I assumed it was on Rock Prairie near Lick Creek Park. It's a really dangerous road with tons of cyclists.
AggieBarstool
farmersfight said:

So sad to hear, this is where I always biked on my training rides.

Prayers for the families affected.
This is my worst nightmare. I often cycle that area, too, while training.
shiftyandquick
[This is not going to turn into a finger pointing thread. -Staff]
JimInBCS
I'm always nervous at that intersection as there is a turn lane that is created on the right side of the road just before the intersection. If I maintain a straight line on my bike then I'm kinda crossing where a car may enter the turn lane. If I keep to the edge of the road, then I have to come to a stop before crossing. Purely speculating, perhaps the driver was turning right and expected the rider to stick to the side of the road and hit them when they maintained their position just to the right of the access road, but left of the turn lane. The picture posted of the bike shows it laying on the turn lane.

Prayers to the driver as well. A momentary distraction for whatever reason resulted in tragedy for all involved.
momlaw
AG
I agree, prayers to all. Many lives changed forever.

He was an extraordinarily experienced and aware cyclist.

Sad for all.
momlaw
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Very sad! .... I am pretty sure I saw him riding yesterday. I recognize the bike
Truth99
I've followed texags since the beginning, but this is my first post. This is the 1st reason to post. This individual dedicated his life to helping others and will be missed for what he has done for many in College Station. He was a great man/father/husband, accomplished cyclist and a great nurse anesthetist. Prayers for his wife and daughter.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
It is devastating. I do not know him, but it feels close to home. I am a cyclist as well, and can't imagine the pain the family must feel. I have never been hit by a car, but know someone who has. Luckily she survived.
dowjr2
This is such a great loss! Ken was a retired naval officer an excellent nurse anesthetist. He was a leader at work and in his family. So many people are grieving at the hospital and his biking and military communities. So heartbreaking!!!!
AgFan1999
AG
Staff,

Can I recommend locking the thread?

[We aren't going to lock the thread, but we will permanently remove any poster that is disrespectful. -Staff]
tamufan
Kenny we'll miss you. I'm glad your final ride was heading toward the North Star, home and family. I hope the sun warmed you, shining on you from the west. Thanks for serving our nation in the military and for your good work at Scott and White. I pray for your wife and daughter.
You've been taken from them, and all of us, too soon. Godspeed, Ken.
happyinBCS
I did not know Ken personally but I will attend his funeral service yet I can't find anything on the public forum I have searched the local funeral homes etc and nothing Please let us know about the death of this Navy veteran
harrierdoc
AG
There will be a memorial service Friday at a local church, I think St Marys. He will be buried formally with full military honors at Fort Sam Houston sometime next week I believe
runnrboy
AG
The memorial is actually at Central Baptist Church in College Station this Friday (January 11) at 6pm.
medjunkie

I was honored to hav worked with him when Scott and white first opened. I know it's a true loss to the OR dept. he was a great CRNA, he had even been my crna a few times when I've had procedures done. I know I'm always in good hands because I worked with such a great team of nurses, CRNAs, anthesthias docs, and my surgeons continued thoughts and prayers for his family and sw team.
tx_prof
I thought The Eagle did a pretty good job with this article: https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/recent-death-highlights-safety-concerns-for-local-cyclists/article_a20e2fdb-a34a-578f-aa15-7f23a3f2c92b.html
AggieBarstool
tx_prof said:

I thought The Eagle did a pretty good job with this article: https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/recent-death-highlights-safety-concerns-for-local-cyclists/article_a20e2fdb-a34a-578f-aa15-7f23a3f2c92b.html

Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Picadillo
There was a well written Letter to the Editor in the Eagle this week that mentioned distracted driving but did not cite as the cause. That said, having lived in communities with ample bike lanes that are NOT shared with cars, it disturbs me to see such unnecessary risk for such a great pastime. I gave up cycling when I moved here because there was no safe place to ride. There is no valid reason we cannot do the same. it's only going to get worse out there as our community grows.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I am a cyclist and am moving back to CS this summer. I was a dumb college kid once and probably wouldn't have paid much attention to cyclists back then. Driving around town makes me nervous. Especially considering I was in town and saw the ambulances at the crash site last weekend. Most of my rides have moved to the trainer unless I am with a group, but nothing beats riding outside.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The access roads are pure gold from a future economic standpoint, and the city just doesn't know it yet. If they did, they would promote regional travel to ride B/CS, and make the "inside lane" the motor vehicle lane, and the "outside lane," the bike lane.

"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
legalbird
a general comment about riding a bike in TX

Riding is dangerous. With the number of single car accidents I see, there is no way I would ride a bike on a road with a car.

I have seen two car lanes reduced to 2 car lanes and a bicycle lane, designated by a solid white line.

The problem is that the two car lanes lost space, and now the cars are within inches of each other, while the infrequently used bicycle lane is just there.

I think the solution is to have a separate road altogether for bicycles based on safety. Yes, most likely not feasible.

There are very few cities in the USA where cyclists and motorist coexist.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
With all due respect, and I am as serious as I can be, the biggest issue is DISTRACTED DRIVERS followed by DISTRACTED CYCLERS

I rode (raced!) City streets on a freaking ENDURO bike in the 70s and early 80s. No headphones or stupid YouTube videos while riding. I knew I had to watch out for myself.
happyinBCS
YOU MY FRIEND ARE SPOT ON GOD BLESS YOU
91_Aggie
AG
The distracted driving is definitely the biggest factor.

I run all over south College Station and my longer runs take me to campus, etc.

I would estimate that at least 50% of the drivers that I see go past me (I run against traffic so I see them coming towards me) are using a phone.

The other factors are
  • impatient drivers, those who see a cyclist in front of them and pass them dangerously because can't believe the audacity that a cyclist would be on their road making them slow down.
  • The cyclists who are adamant that they have as much right to the road as a car and they are going to be the "You are right, but you are an ***hole" guy. You see this when 2 or 3 are riding on a small road, like, for example, Rock Prairie south of Fitch. Instead of riding in a line on the side of the road, they will ride all 3 abreast and block cars behind them. While they may be right, that Bubba that is driving that big truck down those roads is not going to remember anything from Driver's Education and is going to get pissed and also try to "show those damned cyclist" what a-holes they are being and pass dangerously.

shiftyandquick
91_Aggie said:

I would estimate that at least 50% of the drivers that I see go past me (I run against traffic so I see them coming towards me) are using a phone.

The other factors are
  • impatient drivers, those who see a cyclist in front of them and pass them dangerously because can't believe the audacity that a cyclist would be on their road making them slow down.
  • The cyclists who are adamant that they have as much right to the road as a car and they are going to be the "You are right, but you are an ***hole" guy. You see this when 2 or 3 are riding on a small road, like, for example, Rock Prairie south of Fitch. Instead of riding in a line on the side of the road, they will ride all 3 abreast and block cars behind them. While they may be right, that Bubba that is driving that big truck down those roads is not going to remember anything from Driver's Education and is going to get pissed and also try to "show those damned cyclist" what a-holes they are being and pass dangerously.

actually the same guy in a situation where the three riders are riding single file on the right side, will try to squeeze past them with oncoming traffic from the other lane, hitting the cyclists with mirror, and running them off the road. Cyclists have been killed this way. It is certainly no panacea for cyclists to ride to the right and invite dangerous in-lane passes.
91_Aggie
AG
shiftyandquick said:

91_Aggie said:

The other factors are

actually the same guy in a situation where the three riders are riding single file on the right side, will try to squeeze past them with oncoming traffic from the other lane, hitting the cyclists with mirror, and running them off the road. Cyclists have been killed this way. It is certainly no panacea for cyclists to ride to the right and invite dangerous in-lane passes.
that's valid. But if riding 3 abreast, it would be nice if when they came to a place where they could be passed safely, if they would move over. Instead it seems, they all adopt the attitude of "Nope. they can drive behind us and just LEARN that we have same rights as well".

They will also be the cyclists who scream "We have the same rights as a motor vehicle on the roads and must be treated as equals" but then they will blow through every single stop sign they come to.
shiftyandquick
I fail to see a meaningful difference between three abreast and two abreast, especially when they are taking up the same width of the road. Just pass them when safe. Most of the roads these cyclists ride on are lightly traveled. Including the road Mr. Spence died on.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.