Good place to take car to get turn signal bulb replaced?

3,120 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cavscout96
nkc1981
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didnt realize that certain makes of cars require you to remove the front bumper, just to replace the turn signal bulb. That being said, does anyone have any recommendations of a place/person that will do this for a reasonable amount? My niece that lives in CS is needing it done for a VW Jetta and was told itd cost $175 by some service shop, so just seeing if anyone knew of a person or place that may do it cheaper.
AggiePhil
AG
Good God.
Oogway
Hmm, well first off I would recommend Brazos Valley Automotive or Sevcik's if she wants a mechanic to do it.

However, I'm not sure she needs to remove the front bumper to replace the turn signal. If she opens the hood, there should be a little latch adjacent to where the bulb housing is (I have no idea if that is what it is called). If she gently pulls that back, it should release the bulb and its holder and she should be able to remove the old bulb and pop a new one in. Replace the housing and gently put the latch back into place. If she does this in the parking lot of O'Reilley's auto parts and has trouble, she might be able to ask one of those folks for advice.

Bulbs in some cars have gotten a little trickier over the years, but if she takes her time, it isn't too bad to learn how to do it. Otherwise, maybe give those mechanics a call.

Good luck!
FNG
Brazos Valley Automotive is our mechanic shop of choice.

NAPA will tell her whether it really requires that much work so start there.
91_Aggie
AG
What year jetta? Have you tried googling "How to change front/back turn signal on 20xx VW Jetta?"

Youtube has saved me so much money in showing me how to do automotive work. There might be a simpler solution than taking the bumper off.
Rexter
What year car? The '05-14 looks like a 3 minute job.
dallasiteinsa02
Sounds like the classic "it will take 3 hours by the book to replace the bulb. We will have you ready to go in 5 minutes if you want to wait."
nkc1981
AG
its a 2012. She had gone to Napa and one other service place, and both told her right off the bat that it requires the bumper to be taken off.
nkc1981
AG
I looked and found a couple videos on youtube of someone doing it very easily, but she looked under her hood and said it doesnt look the same as the videos show it to be, and it doesnt seem to be easily accessible.
Rexter
It's not easily accessible. It's hidden under the headlight part of the housing. Meathooks will prolly be too big to get to it. It doesn't have wiring to the base. I can give it a look later this week when it isn't raining. Free beats paying if I can get my hand in there and get it out.
nkc1981
AG
Man that would be awesome
aviationag
AG
Pete's Auto Care in Bryan.

Wonderful, professional and honest people.

Pete is always helpful and is very reasonable on price
Rexter
Email me contact info and I'll send her a text or give you my number to send to her

Rexter1200 at yahoo
techno-ag
AG
She might try one of the fast oil change places. They stock air filters, wipers, and bulbs. Go in for an oil change and ask if they'll take care of the bulb. Adds a modest amount to the bill. The other way I get mine changed is to take it to the dealer for the inspection. They replace bulbs that are out for free, but I don't own a VW so no idea how that dealer handles it.
hungaryforchile
Second vote for Pete's Auto Care! They've always quoted me a fair price, and I really appreciate that every time they've had to do more intensive work, they always bring me out to the bay to show me why they need to do what they say they need to do. Also, they've saved me a lot of money by suggesting a simpler or quicker fix than I would have known to ask for, which is always appreciated .
LOYAL AG
AG
I'm not at all surprised it's a pain in the ass. Mrs' LA's 2015 Cadillac SRX requires the front end cap to come off. Both Firestone in CS and Wixon Auto who I have good personal relationships with told me not to tackle it myself. Neither would tell me something just to make a buck, they know I'm coming in anyway.
Red Krow
As others have said all the videos I'm finding say you do not need to remove the bumper. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do all my own work on my cars. If needed removing a bumper is very easy. I'd be happy to help out and swap it out for free. My email is Andy at mitsaggieland dot com.
Big Country51
AG
The millennials strike agian!!!!!
I'll have another beer
nkc1981
AG
Well she ended up taking it to the dealership before i got a hold of her and had to pay $85, but thank you to the two guys above that offered to do it.
Rexter
It's a standing offer. I do the same for my wife's daughters.
cavscout96
AG
I had to do this on my wife's car... total PITA. If she got it done for 85....she did well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.