BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

573,074 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
rocketscience
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
java94 said:

I don't recall ever bearing what is going in just north of the Mercedes dealership? I originally thought Coopers was going in at Sebesta Rd, but now see sinage it's going to be at Pavilion. Is it yet another dealership?
Hyundai, Mercedes, and BMW
SpartanAg1618
AG
Any new information on when Krispy Kreme is Projected to open?
JMac03
AG
backofentb said:

Any new information on when Krispy Kreme is Projected to open?
Just drove by. Outside looks to be 95% complete. Lots of workers there right now.
Ajollyag
Considering I live in copperfield, I would want nothing more than a HEB/Chickfila/whataburger to be built at boonville and university. Sick and tired of them building ER's Clinics, and hotels over here.
bcstx06
I agree with you! That pretty much goes for the entire city of Bryan lately. The houses, hotels and ERs have come, but for the past year or so where are the restaurants and retail? Planning and Development what's up? A few months ago they were saying College Station has plenty of empty big box space for retail to come to town but Bryan doesn't, Bryan needed "greenfield" development. Ok, where is it???
I know that a mixed use development is going in on Boonville near Marimont but how long will that take?

Whatever happened to the Oakmont development?

It really does piss you off when you see South College Station sprout up out of nowhere and have all of the retail and restaurants that it does and East and West Bryan struggle to get a Whataburger or Chick-fil-a. West Bryan was supposed to get an Academy, Chick-fil-a, PetSmart, Ross, Lidl, etc but nothing ever came. Yeah, Chick-fil-a is coming, but after College Station gets year another one that was announced years after the new West Bryan one.

On top of all of that, Bryan is lossing BMW and Hyundai to South College Station.

The roofs are there. The wealth is there. Where is the retail and restaurants? Attention City of College Station! Can you please let the City of Bryan borrow your planning and development team or at least let them mentor their Bryan counterparts.

Sorry for venting so much this morning.
Ajollyag
Ill admit i dont go to town hall meetings or anything so i guess i dont have room to complain, but it would be nice if i didnt have to go all the way to texas ave for HEB.

And lets get it straight. kroger, target, and walmart dont even come close to how amazing HEB is.. they need to actually build stuff east of hwy 6. So much space and land for sale. They must want a crap ton of money for it.

I am also concerned about the oversaturation of all the apartments and condos going up on this side of town. Are they really wanting students to live way out here in copperfield? I just dont see how they are going to fill up all these rooms. Just seems like land would be better used for businesses
ethridgem
AG
ajolly said:

They must want a crap ton of money for it.

Bingo.
D_Wag97
AG
So midtown will be a lake (that may or may not fill in with silt like Wolf Pen), baseball fields, and apartments?

dgonzo99
bcstx06 said:

I agree with you! That pretty much goes for the entire city of Bryan lately. The houses, hotels and ERs have come, but for the past year or so where are the restaurants and retail? Planning and Development what's up? A few months ago they were saying College Station has plenty of empty big box space for retail to come to town but Bryan doesn't, Bryan needed "greenfield" development. Ok, where is it???
I know that a mixed use development is going in on Boonville near Marimont but how long will that take?

It really does piss you off when you see South College Station sprout up out of nowhere and have all of the retail and restaurants that it does and East and West Bryan struggle to get a Whataburger or Chick-fil-a. West Bryan was supposed to get an Academy, Chick-fil-a, PetSmart, Ross, Lidl, etc but nothing ever came. Yeah, Chick-fil-a is coming, but after College Station gets year another one that was announced years after the new West Bryan one.

On top of all of that, Bryan is lossing BMW and Hyundai to South College Station.

The roofs are there. The wealth is there. Where is the retail and restaurants? Attention City of College Station! Can you please let the City of Bryan borrow your planning and development team or at least let them mentor their Bryan counterparts.

Sorry for venting so much this morning.
Oakmont is almost finished. The streets are all in. I have driven through several times the last few weeks. There is a lot of lots back there. You need to drive back there.

One thing I can't understand is with all the new retail in CS, why is sales tax going down or flat there; and sales tax in Bryan is shooting up.
https://comptroller.texas.gov/transparency/local/allocations/sales-tax/cities.php
https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/allocation/AllocHist

PS3D
bcstx06 said:

Last time I was the area University Drive East (east of Boonville) was still gated off. I assume construction continues, since the last aerial we got on Google Maps was over a year ago and the one on Bing/Apple Maps is at least six months old.

Quote:

It really does piss you off when you see South College Station sprout up out of nowhere and have all of the retail and restaurants that it does and East and West Bryan struggle to get a Whataburger or Chick-fil-a. West Bryan was supposed to get an Academy, Chick-fil-a, PetSmart, Ross, Lidl, etc but nothing ever came.

I remember hearing about those but I can't tell if that was actually planned or just rumored. As for Lidl, they pulled out. The company still is struggling how to market their stores and has chosen to focus on the East Coast.

Quote:

Yeah, Chick-fil-a is coming, but after College Station gets year another one that was announced years after the new West Bryan one.

I have a feeling that Jones Crossing was looked at for years as the area built up to the point where it really couldn't be contained anymore. Massive growth in the apartment buildings west of 2818 (even west of the high school), continued growth with The Barracks, and future growth with River Bend Elementary School and Mission Ranch. Meanwhile, West Bryan faces with slow growth from Traditions/Atlas while the demographics aren't nearly as great, with lots of run-down rental units east of 2818 and beyond.

Quote:

The closure of the car dealerships means that the space can be opened up to highway-frontage retail and restaurants, not unlike Stripes, Taco Casa, and McDonald's to the north.
dgonzo99
If you will remember, it took South College Station almost 20 years to get any retail. The original part of Pebble Creek was built in 1993. Most of new development has been new restaurants. Regular retail is pretty much dead. I was out at Post Oak Mall a few Saturdays ago in the early afternoon, and I think there were about 25 people at the most. This is a bad time for retail and some chains. I doubt if most of the college students even know about Post Oak Mall or most of any retail in BCS. They all buy online.
halibut sinclair

Captn_Ag05
AG
Lifeway Christian store in College Station is closing.
curry97
AG
So where did Deftech move to?
southerner
AG
I believe they were acquired by CEO.
AgsWin2011
AG
While CS gets "everything" and Bryan is left out, we will trade you Targets. The one on Texas Ave in CS is crap.

Seriously though, I think Bryan has the better restaurants. Especially in the downtown area.
ChampsAg
Neither company run well. Worked for one. Constant infighting
m3prsive
Looks like aggieland credit Union on arrington has closed.
Cyp0111
It seems like development in College Station is slowing. Maxed out without any add to industry?
Collectonian
Don't remember seeing anything about it in last year's thread, but Just For Hair has closed both locations. It looks like the Texas Ave location closed in July.

Yelp is also reporting the Boonville location closed, but not sure when that happened.
OnlyANobody
Yes. Both locations have closed. Texas Avenue, as you mentioned, at the end of July and Boonville at the end of the year. The stylists have their client lists.
PS3D
m3prsive said:

Guess somebody forgot it was President's Day.
TXTEA12
Is the hotel by Cracker Barrel still under "construction"?
bcstx06
The sign is down.
aggielandcu
Good morning to all. Our Tower Point branch in south College Station is not closing, we are getting new signage on the front of our building. We apologize for any confusion while this process takes place. Come see us for any of your financial needs.
m3prsive
PS3D said:

m3prsive said:

Guess somebody forgot it was President's Day.

Saw sign was off building.
legalbird
Positive Words for New Businesses

Showcase your products on your facebook page.

Still seeing sites with ladders, blueprints, toilets, and sheetrock.

Customers want to see your products (not construction equipment)
ethridgem
AG
Has anyone said anything about the new poke place being built in the center across from Whataburger on Rock Prairie?
BrandoC
AG
[That is not the way to post on this forum. -Staff]
Dennis Reynolds
Anyone know what's going on at the old driving range on hwy 30? Right down from the new storage place. Dirt work has started up recently.
waltonag05
AG
[We are not going to allow Bryan vs College Station posts on this thread and any poster that ignores that rule from this point will get a ban. There is the warning. -Staff]
Tailgate88
AG
ethridgem said:

Has anyone said anything about the new poke place being built in the center across from Whataburger on Rock Prairie?
This post is relevant to my interests.

It's funny how ten or so years ago we had one sushi place in town, and now there are at least a dozen places serving sushi. I think Poke places might be the next wave. Kamei started serving a poke bowl...then Honolulu Poke house opened (which is very good by the way) and it looks like we have a third option coming up. I look forward to trying them...do you have any details?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Several additions to Jones Crossing:

Rusty Taco
Pizza Hut
TBT Bank
Orange Theory

And a place called Brewster Street. Not sure what that is, but if it is related to the one in Corpus, it appears to be a bar and live music venue.

I wonder if the Orange theory is in addition to the Century Square location or instead of. I know they were unhappy with the paid parking situation at Century Square, so not sure if that would have prompted a move.

With these additions, there are only three spots remaining in phase one.
carpe vinum
AG
I was hoping for a return of Oxford Street, but some of those dishes at Brewster look good.look good.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Super happy to hear about OT at Jones... it's closer to my house and you can actually get there and park! woohoo! The parking/location has been the only thing holding me back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.