BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2019)

573,088 Views | 1522 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JSAD said:

Supposedly, Urban Bricks has their last day of business today
Horrible location. Can't get to it northbound Texas without a suicide U, and don't really see it southbound with all the action at the Harvey intersection. Also bet the rent on that building is not small, despite all it's disadvantages.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dallasiteinsa02
You put Urban Bricks in about 10 other locations at it does well.
EBrazosAg
AG
EBrazosAg said:

JSAD said:

Horrible location. Can't get to it northbound Texas without a suicide U, and don't really see it southbound with all the action at the Harvey intersection. Also bet the rent on that building is not small, despite all it's disadvantages.
The other thing to note, there is some saturation in this market for dining in certain categories and areas. That will take out the places with marginal food, location, finances, etc. I have heard this from multiple successful long time restaurant owner/managers in town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChampsAg
Jersey Mikes's is really good! Line moves fast. Don't try to call in your order until next week. He said after yesterday that they want to take care of in house patrons first.
toolshed
AG
JMac03 said:

JSAD said:

Closing because lack of business? I have never eaten there.

I read somewhere, I think here, that the owner was trying to sell it, fairly cheap by my recollection, $250,000-300,000 I think. I would assume a restaurant would go for much more than that, even with a leased location.
PS3D
EBrazosAg said:

EBrazosAg said:

JSAD said:

The other thing to note, there is some saturation in this market for dining in certain categories and areas. That will take out the places with marginal food, location, finances, etc. I have heard this from multiple successful long time restaurant owner/managers in town.
From reading reviews, the reviews were generally mixed, and it probably had low margins too. You could access the shopping center from turning left onto Milliff but it isn't intuitive on how to get through to the shopping center from the TRYP parking lot.
armymom
I know that there are great reviews for Jersey Mike's but after having a cheesesteak last night I wasn't impressed. I don't think I liked their bread and not a wide variety of fixins! Since it is more expensive I will stick with Subway when I need a sandwich. Disappointed since JM is so close to my house! But glad that people do like them, I hope they succeed!

techno-ag
AG
Tutor Doctor opens in BCS. It's a franchise. They come out to your house instead of you going to a retail location.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/tutor-doctor-opens-bryan-college-station-franchise/article_b8c9927e-cd54-5c51-b1c4-1e9b7dc31e20.html
OnlyANobody
Yes, I posted it a while back. The asking price is now $150,000. Assuming you can see it without a login, here is the offering:

Urban Bricks for Sale
ethridgem
AG
JMac03 said:

JSAD said:

Closing because lack of business? I have never eaten there.
According to the listing:

Reason for Selling:Owners need to sell now due to some on-setting family obligations.
mason12
AG
Looking at the other listings by the seller is interesting. There is a Dry Cleaner for sale in town.
AggieBarstool
PS3D said:

EBrazosAg said:

EBrazosAg said:

JSAD said:

From reading reviews, the reviews were generally mixed, and it probably had low margins too. You could access the shopping center from turning left onto Milliff but it isn't intuitive on how to get through to the shopping center from the TRYP parking lot.
Went once, thought it was terrible. Would much rather give my wood-fired-grilled-pizza business to Blue Baker.
Captn_Ag05
AG
At the recent economic development conference there was a brief mention that phase two of Century Square will begin in 2019. Any idea which part of the development this will be (off university in front of hopdoddy, etc or closer to university and college intersection)? Will it be more of the same type of development?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Fajita Pete's is going in at 711 University. I know them coming was discussed on last year's thread, but I wasn't sure if the location was known at that time. Sorry if old news!
Love Gun
Alright, I'm flagging all these stupid posts about JM. Time to take out the trash. You people make me not even want to go to the place.

Start a new thread to discuss JM. This is the Coming and Going thread.

Trash is out. -Staff

Tailgate88
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Jersey Mike's preparation method by using the flat griddle is clearly superior.

It should be noted, in fairness, that the oven at subway is NOT a microwave. Those are extremely bad a$$ $10,000 toaster ovens.

I'm going to throw in a shout out to potbelly. They have extremely good subs. They have been my go to. I haven't tried Jersey Mike's yet, but if all of this commentary holds true, sounds like they will be in the roatation if not topping the rotation.

Ten grand for a toaster oven?!?! Sorry for the derail it geez! I'm in the wrong business.
bushytailed
AG
NSIAP: New HEB being built at Cooperfirld next year. I overheard some of the TP employees talking about it this afternoon.
toolshed
AG
I heard from a supplier that he "wouldn't be surprised" if H-E-B built a new store somewhere around University/ Boonville in the next few years. He said with all the new apartments/ rooftops over there, in addition to Copperfield, Tiffany Park and the people out 30 toward Huntsville, H-E-B would likely try to capitalize on that and take business from Kroger. Not sure if he new something was in the works, or just knowing the grocery business he had a hunch.

Either way, good news for the E side. Hopefully it's a fully developed center, like Jones Crossing vs a stand alone building.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A grocery store at University and Boonville was a rumor I first heard a couple years ago, so hope this comes to fruition. Would that be Bryan or CS?
snaglepuss
It looks like it depends on which corner it is built on.
Cyp0111
They were trying to sell that location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Just listened to the new "is this a thing" podcast and the director of economic development mentioned that there are three restaurants along University that are currently looking to add a second location to south College Station.

Any guesses on which three? I'd say it comes from the list of: Pei Wei, Panera, Rosa's, Grub, Chipotle, and possibly Cheddars.
Wicked Good Ag
Urban Table just dropped a few more pop up dates including some for it new lunch menu although it seems they are going their lunch menu at night
jac4
AG
Dinosaur Egg float and massage studio has a grand opening on Monday 2/4 according to their website. They are located at Caprock.

I'm not associated with them at all, just came across them driving by.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I've been reading several articles lately about Target's fairly new concept of smaller, more urban (less suburban) stores that they are locating right across from college campuses in high density areas. The stores focus on food and "dorm room essentials" plus a scaled back selection of what you would expect at a regular target. Reading some of the colleges that they have located them by, I am a little surprised that College Station hasn't been on the list. Around the new mid-rises on University seems like it would be an attractive location for that type of store.

Maybe wishful thinking, but would love to see that happen.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A Chicken Salad Chick is going in at Jones Crossing.

12 out of the 20 sites (non-HEB) now leased.
Nosh
Wicked Good Ag said:

Urban Table just dropped a few more pop up dates including some for it new lunch menu although it seems they are going their lunch menu at night
ethridgem
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

A Chicken Salad Chick is going on at Jones Crossing.

We should work up a list of everything that coming or already opened in there. Here's my best stab at it (I'll update as I learn more):

UPDATED 02/05/2019 10:40AM

HEB - open
Twin Liquor - open
Oishi Sushi - open
Sports Clips - open
Angel Nails - open
Super Cuts - open
CS Dental - open
MOD Super Fast Pizza - under construction
Zero Degrees
Chicken Salad Chick
Chick-fil-A
Threads Boutique
The Joint
CapRock ER

Thanks to Oldham Goodwin for the updated info.
Captn_Ag05
AG
ethridgem said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

A Chicken Salad Chick is going on at Jones Crossing.

We should work up a list of everything that coming or already opened in there. Here's my best stab at it:

HEB - open
Twin Liquor - open
Oishi Sushi - open
Sports Clips - open
Angel Nails
Super Cuts
Zero Degrees
Chicken Salad Chick
MOD Super Fast Pizza
Chick-fil-A

To add to your list (not sure if any are open yet or not):

Threads Boutique
The Joint
CS Dental
CapRock ER
ethridgem
AG
Added!
ethridgem
AG
This list sure looks familiar...
https://www.collegestationhomes.com/new-businesses-bryan-college-station-tx/
JayHowdy!
ethridgem said:

That Robert Young had to have spent days compiling that list. Good work.
Broncos
ethridgem said:

This won't end well. Might as well put Brazos County Realty on the "going" section.
patrick.redmill
Captn_Ag05 said:

I've been reading several articles lately about Target's fairly new concept of smaller, more urban (less suburban) stores that they are locating right across from college campuses in high density areas. The stores focus on food and "dorm room essentials" plus a scaled back selection of what you would expect at a regular target. Reading some of the colleges that they have located them by, I am a little surprised that College Station hasn't been on the list. Around the new mid-rises on University seems like it would be an attractive location for that type of store.

Maybe wishful thinking, but would love to see that happen.

I was on the University of Minnesota's campus earlier this year, and the adjacent Target seemed to be what you are describing. Honestly, it was a fancy drug store.
dgonzo99
Chick-fil-a on Briarcrest will be torn down and rebuilt into a much larger restaurant. It is part of the redevelopment of that area into Walmart Reimagined family town center.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.