Cross post from The Nerdery -- handicap lift to tractor

1,834 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wai3gotgoats
wai3gotgoats
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am 66 year old, class of '76, recently returned to the rural property in northern Grimes County where I grew up.

Muscular Dystrophy has zapped most of my strength, and would love to be able to get myself in and out of cab tractor to be able to perform chores on property.

I am looking for someone with interest and expertise in designing and guiding me in fabricating a lift mechanism. It could be a stand alone (not attached to the tractor) or an apparatus mounted onto the tractor.

Any thoughts or questions please reply to this thread or PM me.
TxSquarebody
There is a company here in Bryan that may be able to assist you with this. Adaptive Driving Access; +1 979-307-7676. Asside from that, I work in transportation and deal with mobility all the time. I'm certain that the lift from a bus could be attached to a stand alone frame and made to work for you. If Adaptive Driving doesn't have a solution, I'd be glad to help fabricate something.
Floor it until you see God
Lone Stranger
Dr. Doug Kingman at A&M. He was involved with a project several years ago called Agribility or something similar. I've seen pictures of several of the lifts they came up with for wheelchair bound folks to get from chair to tractor seat on different type of tractors. He can direct you to various companies that make them and/or plans to make your own I believe. He is in the Bio & Ag Engineering Dept.
wai3gotgoats
AG
I really appreciate the input each of you has provided, and I will be following up on these leads.

I have been looking at possibilities for quite some time and the two examples cited below are, at this point, the most attractive to me. My preference is to provide for my own needs, without spending other people's hard earned money that government has "aquired" and is handing out. So, being by no means "flush" with money, I am wanting to be smart with my money, hence my seeking assistance from some smarter than me Aggies.

Texas Agribility

and

Startracks Home Wheelchair Platform Lift

The later example would require modifications to withstand the elements, as it would be out in the open.
taxpreparer
AG
I have a cousin who's papraplegic husband operates a ranch in Montana. He had a ramp built to be able to get his wheelchair up to height to access his tractor.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
wai3gotgoats
AG
Thank you for your response and offer.

At this point, I am interested in determining whether a product like this
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/lift-tables/mobile-scissor/mobile-scissor-li-table-330-lb-capacity?presentType=98&trackCatKey=0&trackPrimKey=0&trackType=4&webCatKey=0
can be converted from hand operated to electrical powered unit or some other automated powering system.

If you are willing and interested in providing input into this question, I am interested in that input. My email is
wai3gotgoats@gmail.com
if you're willing to communicate directly.

Thank you
Andy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.