The New Republic Steakhouse

14,023 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DeWrecking Crew
gopitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Republic is the best in town and I've tried them all.
Can't wait to try Wade's new place but I'll give it a month or two.
nought
AG
Republic steaks are ok, not great. They're great if you have never been to a big-city steakhouse like Capital Grill, Eddie V.'s, Pappa's, Ruth's Chris, etc. If, however, you like steaks like the ones at the aforementioned places, Republic steaks fall short.

Porters comes the closest to matching a big-city steakhouse style of steak, particularly with their true wood-fired grill that gets plenty hot to put a good sear on the steak. Republic is either unable or unwilling to cook a steak with a decent sear. And, to the person who mentioned that they "boil" their steaks -- they don't, although they do sous vide them. Sous vide, when done properly, can result in an excellent steak (see comment though about lack of a good sear at Republic). There is something about the way Republic does their sous vide though that is off a bit. I think perhaps they leave them at the 'desired temperature' in the water bath too long, which changes the protein structure in the steak, and not in a good way.

Republic does have good sides and good starters, but so do other places in town.

The best thing Republic has going for it is its atmosphere -- now that is big-city steakhouse-like. It is unfortunate that their steaks don't live up to the atmosphere.

Veritas isn't a steakhouse, but I enjoy their steaks more than those at Republic. Christopher's is different than Republic, but I put their steaks at about the same level.
Invictibus12
AG
Having tried Porters and Republic both in past month, I'll give the edge to Republic. Porters has great dishes, but not quite the variety as Republic. Both steaks are top tier, but the sauces from Republic differentiate. The sauces are incredible. Service at both places is impressive, Republic has well seasoned bar tenders who are very friendly and knowledgeable. Porters has great servers with not as much experience. Great drinks to be had at both places, obviously Republic has more extensive whiskey selection. I think ultimately the ambience of Republic's new location is going to be what tips the scale in their favor. Porters has a very nice modern build out with open kitchen, but the amount of class & detail you'll find at Republic's new location is unmatched. Both establishments know how to run mighty fine steakhouses, BCS is lucky to have both of them.
MTTANK
AG
Roadhouse for the win!! I only go to the Republic if I'm on the liquid diet, cool place for that. If I want a really top notch steak I do it at the house. Out of town Del Frisco's is hard to beat, awesome filet.
GIG 'EM
75AG
AG
MTTANK said:

Roadhouse for the win!! I only go to the Republic if I'm on the liquid diet, cool place for that. If I want a really top notch steak I do it at the house. Out of town Del Frisco's is hard to beat, awesome filet.
Comparing Roadhouse to The Republic is like comparing a Honda to a BMW. One's nice, but the other is luxurious.
MTTANK
AG
I agree with you on the venue 75AG, but I have never been impressed with their steaks. Love your post's on here, so maybe I need to give it another shot.
GIG 'EM
techno-ag
AG
Invictibus12 said:

BCS is lucky to have both of them.
TheOC16
AG
I've tried Porter's once and Republic once in the past year. I consider myself something of a steak connoisseur (I dry age...). Neither experience had me rushing to return, but I want to give them each another shot.

Republic: Great ambiance, great service, great sides, average steak. The steak was cooked perfectly (my char was great in contrast to some reports here), but as mentioned didn't have much flavor. I've been told (after the experience) by someone who should know better than anyone that they do not use Prime beef, and it showed. A restaurant that considers themselves an upper end steakhouse (anything above Texas Roadhouse, Longhorn, etc) should absolutely use Prime beef.

I will return but probably have something other than steak next time, because it seems that my steak experience was consistent with the feedback I've received from everyone else. As mentioned, I like the ambiance and the other food I had was wonderful.

Porter's: Sat at the bar (actually sat at the bar twice, but one time was not for food), so I didn't get the best feel for the total environment, though I was given a very quick tour of the place - certainly seems nice. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the steak. I had actually had appetizers right before this at another establishment, so all I ordered was the steak.

They serve a very thick cut. It was cooked terribly. I was there late in the evening, so maybe the chef was tired and just screwed it up. I ordered it medium rare (Background: I cook mine between rare and medium rare. I like rare or medium rare. I'll eat anything. I never return food to the kitchen, but I also may never return to the establishment.) The steak was between rare and blue. For my taste, a steak that thick should not be cooked rare, and when it's on the blue side of rare that just makes it chewy. It had an amazing crust - unfortunately it was too amazing. It was nearly burnt. It was so crusty it was difficult to cut through. It must have been cooked at 1000 degrees for a 40 seconds on each side.

I'm hoping this was just an unfortunate mistake by the cook, and I will try their steak again.

FTR: Best restaurant steak I've ever had was at Perry's in Sugarland.

*Edit to add that I tried Republic at their old location and I did love their interior, so I'm very excited to see what the new one is like!
halibut sinclair
Saltgrass only uses Certified Angus Beef. It's our go-to. Or the Wednesday night ribeye special at Yankee's.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I dont live in Houston and only been to Perrys twice in my life

Both are in my top 10 all time beefsteaks
aTm2004
AG
You should try Vic & Anthony's, Pappas Bros, and Del Frisco's. I've been to many steakhouses and those 3 are in a tier of their own.
Smeghead4761
Lawdy...I don't think I own clothes nice enough to eat there.

OK, maybe my old Army dress blues, if I can still fit in them.
jac4
AG
Trying to this thread back on track.

Went with a group of friends the other night. Food was very good, as expected. Had their Spicy Bloody Mary for the first time which was excellent. Only downside was we didn't get sat at our table until 45 minutes after our reservation.
CactusThomas
AG
Did the copper top horseshoe make the move?
fishngame06
AG
Wife and I went there last night for anniversary and enjoyed the new atmosphere. We do wish they would have updated/tweaked the menu just a bit, but nope still same menu and layout. Now would be a good time to do this.
Nonetheless, we love their wiskey cocktails, appetizers, and sides. While we will agree that their steaks alone don't have the texture contrast and flavor as other high end big city places mentioned in this thread, their sauces are essential to make up the difference. It's their sauces that differentiate them from others and makes them somewhat unique.
FlyRod
Was told by someone behind the bar that they are going to mix it up with the menu soon. Their clientele tends to be conservative, so they wanted to usher in the new place with the old familiar menu. For now.
nought
AG
fishngame06 said:

Wife and I went there last night for anniversary and enjoyed the new atmosphere. We do wish they would have updated/tweaked the menu just a bit, but nope still same menu and layout. Now would be a good time to do this.
Nonetheless, we love their wiskey cocktails, appetizers, and sides. While we will agree that their steaks alone don't have the texture contrast and flavor as other high end big city places mentioned in this thread, their sauces are essential to make up the difference. It's their sauces that differentiate them from others and makes them somewhat unique.

See, I just don't get the comment about the sauces. If I'm paying $45 to $xxx a steak, I want the STEAK to taste amazing. I could care less about 4 little 50-cent sauces. Good steak houses don't need sauces.

Sure, I like a horseradish sauce with a prime rib, or a chimichurri sauce if I eat at Churrasco's in Houston. But, if I'm paying for a steak that is supposedly high-end, that steak better stand alone.

Wade needs to go have a bone-in filet at Eddie V.'s, or any steak for that matter at Del Frisco's, Mastro's, or Pappa's.

Republic is charging similar prices for the steaks as the prime steaks at big-city steakhouses, but isn't matching the quality of meat and definitely not the quality of preparation.
TheOC16
AG
nought said:

fishngame06 said:

See, I just don't get the comment about the sauces. If I'm paying $45 to $xxx a steak, I want the STEAK to taste amazing. I could care less about 4 little 50-cent sauces. Good steak houses don't need sauces.

Sure, I like a horseradish sauce with a prime rib, or a chimichurri sauce if I eat at Churrasco's in Houston. But, if I'm paying for a steak that is supposedly high-end, that steak better stand alone.

Wade needs to go have a bone-in filet at Eddie V.'s, or any steak for that matter at Del Frisco's, Mastro's, or Pappa's.

Republic is charging similar prices for the steaks as the prime steaks at big-city steakhouses, but isn't matching the quality of meat and definitely not the quality of preparation.

Amen. If I order a steak and they ask me if I want steak sauce, I start worrying...
fishngame06
AG
I definitely don't disagree with you. We lived in Houston for 6 years and have had plenty of amazing steaks at those places as well as other places on vacation.

I'm just saying their sauces are "their own thing" that kind of sets them apart somewhat...
Thisguy1
I've only been to The Republic once and I thought the steak was good. I don't have much to compare it to because I don't spend that much money on food.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but my steak had the most crust I've ever had on a steak and it wasn't burnt. This was in June.

My economic pick is Sodolaks. Best steak in town IMO. I HATE Roadhouse steaks. I've never gotten a steak there that was cooked right.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Good steak houses don't need sauces.

Are you aware of how much butter are put on steaks at the high end places in the cities?
Stupe
S
nought said:

Republic steaks are ok, not great. They're great if you have never been to a big-city steakhouse like Capital Grill, Eddie V.'s, Pappa's, Ruth's Chris, etc. If, however, you like steaks like the ones at the aforementioned places, Republic steaks fall short.

Those kind of comments crack me up. I've lived in Houston, traveled to Chicago, Baltimore,St. Louis, LA, and other "food" cities and just because a steak house isn't in a big city, that doesn't meant that it's not good.
Hands down some of the best steaks that I've had were at small mom-and-pop diners on road trips to go hunting, skiing, rodeo, softball, vacation, etc....

A lot of those "big-city" steakhouses that people like to flaunt don't even use their own seasoning or rub...they use pre-mixed box seasoning from wholesale distributors. However, since it's a famous / popular "high end" steak or chop house, people just glow about it.
nought
AG
Stupe said:

nought said:

Those kind of comments crack me up. I've lived in Houston, traveled to Chicago, Baltimore,St. Louis, LA, and other "food" cities and just because a steak house isn't in a big city, that doesn't meant that it's not good.
Hands down some of the best steaks that I've had were at small mom-and-pop diners on road trips to go hunting, skiing, rodeo, softball, vacation, etc....

A lot of those "big-city" steakhouses that people like to flaunt don't even use their own seasoning or rub...they use pre-mixed box seasoning from wholesale distributors. However, since it's a famous / popular "high end" steak or chop house, people just glow about it.
I agree with you that a steakhouse doesn't have to be "big-city" to be good. That doesn't mean Republic is good though.

Let me revise what I said. Wade also needs to go visit some small-city places like Rudy & Paco in Galveston (yes I know they aren't strictly a steak place, but again, they cook a far better steak than Republic) or Porters in College Station to see how good a steak can be without flavored sauces.
TheOC16
AG
nought said:

Stupe said:

nought said:

I agree with you that a steakhouse doesn't have to be "big-city" to be good. That doesn't mean Republic is good though.

Let me revise what I said. Wade also needs to go visit some small-city places like Rudy & Paco in Galveston (yes I know they aren't strictly a steak place, but again, they cook a far better steak than Republic) or Porters in College Station to see how good a steak can be without flavored sauces.
The question is: does he really need to do that? If customers are going to keep paying for the product, then why would he pay more money for better cuts of beef? Why would he convert to a more labor-intensive or skilled cooking process? If Choice beef and some side sauces keep his restaurant full, I'd say that's a heck of a business model when the bottom line is concerned.
75AG
AG
All that, plus he just opened a multi-million dollar facility. I'd say he's doing all right! And making darn good business decisions.
nought
AG
75AG said:

All that, plus he just opened a multi-million dollar facility. I'd say he's doing all right! And making darn good business decisions.
True, he has done well so far. However, competition is increasing in this town, and if he wants to pay for the loan on that facility and continue to succeed, he might need to step up his game.

I do hear menu changes are coming -- we'll see if that translates into any improvement in the steak area.
rockelle
I'm pretty sure the proprietor is comfortable in his steaks and his business model. The Republic restaurant has been highly successful in B/CS. It provides a great menu, service, bar and atmosphere.

His steak preparation is different than other steakhouses. It's good to have options with Porter's, Christopher's etc. Our community is fortunate to have all these restaurants serving great food.

This is like the BBQ argument. Different tastes. There's no right answer.
EliteElectric
Wow wasn't expecting to come back to this. I have eaten at all of the higher end local eateries and like all of them for their own menus. I feel we are fortunate to live in a relatively small community and have such a diverse array of fine dinning to choose from. There aren't a lot of towns our size that can boast the fine dinning assortment we can.

Also, I have traveled extensively in my lifetime and can tell you with complete certainty that not all of the places with huge reputations live up to them. I have had mediocre meals at a few of the places mentioned in this thread, I've never had a bad meal at Republic.
FreeLunch
AG
I've only had Republic once probably 5 - 7 years or so ago. All restaurants can have a good or bad day. With that said and skimming through these messages, it seems like my experience wasn't an anomaly.

Republic might be doing well in a the BCS market with less high end competition. However, if you put it in a major TX market (DFW/Houston/Austin, etc) I don't think they'd make it.

As others have mentioned if you're at a high end steak place and they ask if you want a certain type of sauce, then that's not good! Most high end places only need salt/pepper and sometimes they use butter on their steaks. There's no special seasonings other than that.
gigemags87
AG
I've eaten at the Republic 20+ times over the last few years and never had a bad meal. Always eat steak. Usually the strip but Wade added prime strip and I believe a prime rib eye in the last year or so. Both have been great. He's also had some Akaushi (a wagyu type) steaks last two times I was there and it was tasty.

Wade is a student of food, restaurants large and small and great experiences. I would suggest anyone with feedback to find him and tell him in person. Every business owner worth his salt wants direct unvarnished feedback, especially the negative type.
techno-ag
AG
Kudos to local owners like Wade and Chris. The restaurant business is a tough one, especially with all the internet experts critiquing the food.
FreeLunch
AG
The restaurant business is extremely hard to make it. I would imagine that in BCS it could even be more difficult than other markets to do well. I'm definitely not an expert in the restaurant business and think it's great that Republic has found their niche and I'm assuming has done well enough to cashflow/build a much nicer restaurant. Kudos to any entrepreneur for taking a risk and serving the community.

My specific comments are my opinion in relation to other steak places. I haven't had Republic in many years and I'm sure a lot has changed and it could be much better. It seems like some people on this post that have had it more recently than me share in some of the same opinions. I personally like finding local restaurants in BCS to eat at when I'm in town as it makes the trip more fun. I will spend $$ at places where of course I like the food. I'm not telling a person how to run their business, however, in this case, I am just stating my opinion.

DeWrecking Crew
A little tip for those looking for a little more flavor on their steak at The Republic, I always request some of their smoked salt, makes a big difference...they smoke it themselves in house, brings the flavor profile up several notches in my opinion.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.