University Dr. Street Project

5,013 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by meteoag
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know the status of the street project on University Drive next to campus? It doesn't seem like a big project and it has been stuck in the same place for months. Did the contractor go broke or something?
Builder93
AG
It is a much bigger project than it appears and we have had so much rain it's hard to make good progress.

There is a lot of underground utility work happening that doesn't seem obvious. It also involves TXDOT, TAMU and COCS. Plus, the road has to stay open while it's happening. I'm not working on it, but I have talked to some who are.
redd38
AG
I wish they would just make it a little more drivable while they're working on it. It's un-fing-believable that the stripes on the road have been dangerously messed up for nearly a year! Does the city just not give a s*** that there's two sets of stripes that merge cars into each other? It would take less than an hour to fix. And now there are potholes big enough to fit a small child in! And you better memorize the location of them because when it rains the road floods and you can't see them.

I mostly cut through a neighborhood to avoid University now.
Eliminatus
AG
redd38 said:

I wish they would just make it a little more drivable while they're working on it. It's un-fing-believable that the stripes on the road have been dangerously messed up for nearly a year! Does the city just not give a s*** that there's two sets of stripes that merge cars into each other? It would take less than an hour to fix. And now there are potholes big enough to fit a small child in! And you better memorize the location of them because when it rains the road floods and you can't see them.

I still have to be extra careful about which set of faded lines to follow. That is just..... embarrassing.

That entire stretch of road striping needs to be redone. Boggles my mind that it hasn't yet. You have a super modern engineering building on campus right next to it. Reminds me of the Juarez borderline.
Buford T. Justice
AG
It's never going to happen, but dream with me for a moment. It would revolutionize the University Drive corridor if we had pedestrian and trolley tunnels a la downtown Houston and the IAH airport. You could then have remote parking and less vehicular traffic directly adjacent to the campus and north gate areas.
EBrazosAg
AG
It's almost like the same genius who decided to go with the converging/diverging interchange did that project .....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JMac03
AG
redd38 said:

This - I would find it hard to not sue the damn city if I got in a wreck because not knowing what damn lines I am supposed to follow - especially when it changes after you go through a light. It is absolutely absurd. And I hate all the frivolous lawsuit crap.
AgFan1999
AG
it's rare to see a road crew working on that stretch. And now there's an enormous pothole at the DDI eastbound light.
motherrunnersBCS
Would be nice if they did something about this while the students are gone, nothing major, just some reflective lane markers and some asphalt for the worst of the holes. Who do we ask?
motherrunnersBCS
Also the lines on University and Texas Ave are gone, especially the median-reworked section heading south.
AggieAces06
AG
It's a TxDot project, so the road striping is up to them, not the City.
JMac03
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Good to know.
doubledog
I know that nobody at TxDOT (or is it CoCS) has a watch, because none the lights on University from Texas Ave to west campus are timed.
AgFan1999
AG
it's rare to see someone working on the University Drive construction (I know they work on in phases)
fastsloth
None of that matters as long as we keep bringing in more students and building more condos and dorms.
Rexter
Buford T. Justice said:

It's never going to happen, but dream with me for a moment. It would revolutionize the University Drive corridor if we had pedestrian and trolley tunnels a la downtown Houston and the IAH airport. You could then have remote parking and less vehicular traffic directly adjacent to the campus and north gate areas.

Monorail is where it's at, my friend.
kraut
AG
Rexter said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Monorail is where it's at, my friend.
Well, sir, there's nothin' on Earth like a genuine bona-fide electrified six-car monorail! What'd I say?
techno-ag
AG
AggieAces06 said:

denied
motherrunnersBCS said:

Would be nice if they did something about this while the students are gone

They actually aren't allowed to do anything while the students are gone. It is in the contract.

I drove by early afternoon on Monday and it was gorgeous but nobody was there and almost all of the equipment was gone; then I realized the students had left so the project was shut down.
AgFan1999
AG
University Drive is one of the major thoroughfares in town and there's portions that are almost undrivable.
Eliminatus
AG
denied said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

They actually aren't allowed to do anything while the students are gone. It is in the contract.

I drove by early afternoon on Monday and it was gorgeous but nobody was there and almost all of the equipment was gone; then I realized the students had left so the project was shut down.

I literally cannot think of a single thing of why and how that is a good idea. Much less written into a contract. Even some public projects in backwards ass California have crews specifically working nights and really early mornings and other non peak times.

Is the contract openly available?
JMac03
AG
Eliminatus said:

denied said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

I literally cannot think of a single thing of why and how that is a good idea. Much less written into a contract. Even some public projects in backwards ass California have crews specifically working nights and really early mornings and other non peak times.

Is the contract openly available?
I think he was being a smartass
(Removed:11023A)
AG
txDot

Enough said
The Anchor
AG
Thanks to TexAgs:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/University-Drive-project-to-be-finished-by-May-503265111.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media&fbclid=IwAR1W-swlzs4gk1MR1SDyKoSD-Wb0kkM4N2f50FY3MsZzhnQo1aVgKMlK10c
Gap
AG
I was back in town for new student conferences and while it appears progress has been made, it isn't fully complete. The KBTX article says a May completion, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone know when it will be finished?
Rexter
Gap said:

I was back in town for new student conferences and while it appears progress has been made, it isn't fully complete. The KBTX article says a May completion, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone know when it will be finished?

May 2021
drivinwest
AG
Avoid west bound University. It's down to one lane. But I did see a few workers out there!
meteoag
Anyone know if this project will be finished before construction begins on the second deck/underground section that could potentially happen in the future? Hopefully when they are finished they will get the lights timed correctly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.