Porsche Repair BCS

1,592 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nwspmp
jphil1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting ready to move to BCS this summer. I have a 2008 911S. I don't see a Porsche dealer in BCS but found Autoworks showing up on a google search.
Thought I would ask the board of their experience with Autoworks ? and in general your experience getting an older Porsche repaired in BCS
AG'73
BCStalk
You might contact Bill at The Bug Clinic.
befitter
Autoworks is where to take it IMO. He has worked on both of my Audi's and my MIL classic Mercedes. He isn't cheap but he knows European cars.
Sleepnumber
AG
Autowerks
TxSquarebody
+1 for Bill at Bug Clinic. Awesome guy!
Floor it until you see God
nwspmp
I've used both Autowerks and The Bug Clinic. I would trust Autowerks much more for anything *not* an air-cooled VW.
DBSwooper
nwspmp said:

I've used both Autowerks and The Bug Clinic. I would trust Autowerks much more for anything *not* an air-cooled VW.
We've taken our watercooled VWs there (Bug Clinic), as well as other makes and models, too. Bill is one of the few mechanics in the area I trust.

With that said, he is the only shop you should take anything aircooled VW (or Porsche) to in town.
Tumble Weed
Autowerks claimed to fix something for me once. Not impressed at all. Slow service, heavy pencil, still have to hound him to get it right.

Tim Weaver
Autowerks is about the only modern euro shop in town. Although I've never had anything fixed by them, I have inspected their "for sale" cars and was not impressed. Those flip cars had a lot of corners cut and were prime examples of "fixed just good enough to run".

The Bug Clinic is more of a hometown, family friendly place.

That said, if you are just looking for basic maintenance almost anybody can do that. I often recommend Sevciks. They are not the cheapest, but they are very good and honest. I see Rover's and Volvos there a lot. And I've seen the occasional Lambo or Ferrari. They don't turn away the weird stuff.
nought
AG
If you want to pay as much as or more than you would pay if you took your car to a Porsche dealer in Houston, then use Autoworks. They do have some competent mechanics on staff, but they have also misdiagnosed issues I've had (with of course no refund after their proposed-and-implemented fix didn't actually help).

The Bug Clinic looks like a hole in the wall, but they are extremely competent and honest. Despite the VW-related name, they are excellent with anything foreign (particularly European) or domestic. They won't come up with bogus things you don't really need to have done, and they are capable of just about anything.
Prune Tracy
Caladan
We had Autowerks try to fix an issue w/our MB, and the issue was still there when we drove it home. A second attempt to fix the issue was also unsuccessful. We finally had to take the vehicle to the MB dealership in Georgetown, where they were able to diagnose and fix the problem.

The mechanics at Autowerks also left the battery charging port dangling from it's mount, and also left one of those bright blue disposable shop towels in the bottom of the engine bay. Their attention to detail is lacking. I would find it hard to recommend them......
DFWag84
OP

the only place locally is Bug Clinic

AW is high as dealer and has a bad reputation
nwspmp
DBSwooper said:

nwspmp said:

We've taken our watercooled VWs there (Bug Clinic), as well as other makes and models, too. Bill is one of the few mechanics in the area I trust.

With that said, he is the only shop you should take anything aircooled VW (or Porsche) to in town.
I guess I've had the exact opposite luck. I took a WC VW to the Bug Clinic probably a little over 15 years ago and was so disappointed in the service on it that I ended up learning how to do most of my own work. And it was like talking to an angry brick wall with him and his wife at the time. A buddy of mine ended up doing some work out of his shop for a while, mostly on aircooleds, and it went well from a vehiclular standpoint but they parted ways less than amicably, but I do not know the reasons why.

I had an MB SUV in at Autoworks for some work once, as I wasn't too used to working on diesels at the time and the work was done well and reasonably priced.

I may have just gotten the Bug Clinic on their bad days and Autoworks on their good days. I would say that Bug Clinic does still have the best reputation in aircooled and German anything in town, but I have my own personal reservations on anything else.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.