STEER IT CLEAR IT IS NEEDED ASAP

3,755 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by legalbird
legalbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Problem is getting worse.

Seeing simple fender benders. Estimated damage is $1500 or less.

Entire lanes of traffic shut down and backups for a mile. Gridlock for hours.

It is completely rude to close off lane(s) while drivers exchange insurance information. Pull off on a side street or parking lot!!

Wellborn Road is primary example

Highway 6 is other example

EDIT...HOURS is an exaggeration.... but a long time. Much wasted time. Wasted emissions. Wasted gas. Wasted money for those paid to travel. Clogs up road for other first responders.
PS3D
Both roads have no adequate place to pull over. Highway 6 especially has completely inadequate shoulders, barely an outside shoulder and even less of an inner shoulder.
cslifer
OP said move to a parking lot or side street, what does the shoulder have to do with it? I agree with him, if it is drivable move it. This will also cut down on the rubbernecking from all the people that apparently have never seen a car with a dented bumper before.
redd38
AG
I've never been in gridlock for hours due to a fender bender.
Belton Ag
AG
I've never been in gridlock for hours ever in Aggieland, even after football games.
nought
AG
I called this a month or 2 ago. Little accidents that would be off the road within 15 minutes in Houston are "investigated" for hours here and have traffic tied up a few times a week for miles on Highway 6. Fender bender? Holy **** send 3 ladder trucks, 2 ambulances, 5 police SUVs, and every tow truck in the county!!! Red alert! Red alert!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
This is a uniquely CSPD thing. I drive over 45,000 miles/yr all over Texas and this is the only place this has been a recurring issue

Disclaimer: Yes I'm aware its not a problem in the RGV because one or both will split the scene due to either
(A) No insurance
(B) No legal right to be in the USA; or
(C) Outstanding warrants
PS3D
cslifer said:

OP said move to a parking lot or side street, what does the shoulder have to do with it? I agree with him, if it is drivable move it. This will also cut down on the rubbernecking from all the people that apparently have never seen a car with a dented bumper before.
That's one of the main uses of highway shoulders, is to provide a way for disabled vehicles to get off the mainlanes and provide a semi-safe space for drivers to exit, and maybe with maybe half a dozen exceptions beyond the north end of 2818, there are no "parking lots or side streets" along Highway 6 in Brazos County. The exits are even worse with sharp drop-offs, and even less room to pull over.
techno-ag
AG
Obligatory:

halibut sinclair
Buford T. Justice
AG
With all due respect, unless you commute in B/CS on a daily basis, you don't understand the issue.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Agree! I travel down Wellborn every morning and afternoon to get to campus for work (from south CS) and on average see 3-4 wrecks/fender benders a WEEK on this stretch. When they happen there's no real alternate route to get where I need to get so we just sit.. even though everyone is safe and typically on their phones with their moms. If I had to be at work at a specific time or get in trouble/someone go without I'd be screwed.
Belton Ag
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

With all due respect, unless you commute in B/CS on a daily basis, you don't understand the issue.
I'd be pretty comfortable betting that I commute more in BCS on a daily basis than most people on this board.
cslifer
I know that is one of the main uses, but you are talking about disabled vehicles which is very different than a fender bender where the vehicles are drivable. I believe that the "steer it clear it" stuff in Harris county mandates that you get off the highway completely. They even have a few designated places you can exit to for this kind of thing.
OnlyANobody
OP does make a good point in that there are often little incidents that can be taken to the side of the road or a parking lot, out of traffic.

And granted, to the person who pointed it out, there is no real congestion when compared to cities we've lived in like Houston and Atlanta. But these smaller accidents tend to happen when people need to be somewhere and you finally get through endless traffic light cycles only to find 2 barely damaged cars with people standing around using their phones while traffic is piled up with now tardy students and late to work employees.

This thread reminded me of a little funny that happened the day before Harvey made landfall. It was POURING during the after school pick-up rush and a kiddo pulled left out of WalMart into the side of me on Oak Ridge. Both cars had some serious damage, but were drivable, so I pointed for him to turn into the parking lot on our right. Otherwise, we were blocking both lanes. (clear the street so everyone can get on with their lives: kid fetching, toilet paper and water purchasing, etc.) Well, it was that little lot at Bryan High that's reserved for something..... coaches, maybe? And as soon as we stopped and got out of the cars, a coach came out SCREAMING at us to take it somewhere else. I pointed to the kid's faceless car and told him that we were just exchanging info and would be gone. He continued to scream until we agreed to go over to the pool parking lot to finish our business. I can only hope that mouth and attitude of his is producing superior athletes because it's sure not used for generating good public relations.
montegobay
I certainly support our local law enforcement, but in my daily commute from south CS to Bryan, most minor accidents are majorly exacerbated by CSPD or Bryan PD blocking lanes when an accident could easily be moved into the grass or shoulder. They oftentimes create the congestion.
jja79
AG
How frequently do you encounter an accident on your commute?
birdman
montegobay said:

I certainly support our local law enforcement, but in my daily commute from south CS to Bryan, most minor accidents are majorly exacerbated by CSPD or Bryan PD blocking lanes when an accident could easily be moved into the grass or shoulder. They oftentimes create the congestion.
This is way too common. Two car wreck with no injuries. Both cars drivable and about $500 worth of damage. There might be 4 squad cars blocking several lanes.
EBrazosAg
AG
Great thread - I have considered starting it several times. How stupid to have drivers block traffic for wrecks that would result in a ticket if you stoped in the road in DFW or Houston. If you can drive your vehicle - get off the road and call the police. Time we started acting like a big City and not like a small town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Satellite of Love
nought said:

I called this a month or 2 ago. Little accidents that would be off the road within 15 minutes in Houston are "investigated" for hours here and have traffic tied up a few times a week for miles on Highway 6. Fender bender? Holy **** send 3 ladder trucks, 2 ambulances, 5 police SUVs, and every tow truck in the county!!! Red alert! Red alert!
You obviously have never lived near the City of Bellaire. It seems like they send their whole fire and police departments when there is a tiny fender bender on 610. They will shut down 4 out of the 6 lanes for two cars that are over on the shoulder.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
BQ_90
AG
jja79 said:

How frequently do you encounter an accident on your commute?
I'd say at least once a month there will be accident or cars pulled over on bypass. Then not far down or up depending on direction or side of bypass, there will be another fending bender. I would guess rubbernecking from wreck or pulled over vehicle from #1 lead to #2.

I did see fender bender on the bypass caused by cops having pulled over car on the feeder next to allen Honda.

so there isn't any perfect answer.

IMO the speed limit on the bypass is too high. But that's another thread......
txcajun
AG
This is why I stay away from the university, if possible, especially during high commute times. It's a recipe for disaster, too many people in a town that hasn't expanded quickly enough to compensate for its growth. Also, toss in 68k+ college students, and well...

The improvements to infrastructure over the past few years are laughable. I liked it here prior to 2017, now, not so much. In some ways it feels as though CSTX is becoming a suburb of Houston.
montegobay
At least twice a week on 6 there is a minor accident with at least 3 or 4 police cars responding. I am not exaggerating.
agnerd
AG
I'd love to help you out, but I don't trust the illegal with no insurance, no license plate, no drivers license, and no inspection to fess up to taking off my bumper when the cops arrive so they can see exactly what happened. I'm going to need that police report so that I "only" have to pay my uninsured deductible instead of the full deductible. Impound cars for people without insurance or sell their cars to help pay for their shirked financial obligations and I'll gladly move to the closest parking lot.
montegobay
I don't even think a parking lot is required, but why not pull off to the side??
woodiewood1
[Please do not attempt to bypass word filters. - Staff]
legalbird
I certainly appreciate the police response. In many cities, you are left to your own devices.

I'm just saying, pull safely off the road. Think of others!

Also, safety is a key issue. I saw two drivers standing between cars on Wellborn near the new red light at. HEB. That would be enough cause to scream at the top of your lungs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.