Yeah this is exactly what our community needs.

4,657 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KaneIsAble
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-County-District-Clerk-Elect-sued-by-former-ppponent-502207961.html

Merry Christmas.
Belton Ag
AG
Team Meece says they can back every allegation up with documented evidence, so this could get interesting, but I'm more inclined to believe this gets tossed fairly quickly.
BCSWguru
remember Brandon Fails
TxSquarebody
Meece is old enough to remember when not every kid was a winner. Like it or not, lady, you lost! Get over yourself!
Floor it until you see God
Drewmeister
AG
I still don't get why this County Clerk (excuse me, "Brazos County District Clerk"... what's the difference?) position was treated as such a huge deal in this election. Or, for that matter, why it even needs to be an elected position vs. someone appointed by the court they serve. I probably got as many mailers for that as I did for state and US Reps.

It's not exactly a position of power, but the race far overshadowed other local races with actual power like Mayor, City Councils, Sheriff, DA/County Attorney, etc. (Yes, I know many of those races were decided in the primary, but still...)
Scoopen Skwert
AG
LSCSN said:

remember Brandon Fails

Oh crap. I forgot about that whole thing.

I don't remember all the details but there was a lot and I mean a lot of talk around town.

Not one of our finest hours to be honest.
EVA3
AG
Drewmeister said:

I still don't get why this County Clerk (excuse me, "Brazos County District Clerk"... what's the difference?) position was treated as such a huge deal in this election. Or, for that matter, why it even needs to be an elected position vs. someone appointed by the court they serve. I probably got as many mailers for that as I did for state and US Reps.

It's not exactly a position of power, but the race far overshadowed other local races with actual power like Mayor, City Councils, Sheriff, DA/County Attorney, etc. (Yes, I know many of those races were decided in the primary, but still...)

County Clerk and District Clerk are two different things.
justcallmeharry
S
https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/190979

Brandon Fails discussion.
gettingitdone
The sad thing is, Margret is also suing him for his campaign when he ran for commissioner. She wasn't running for that position. I would like to know what her damages are other than going in to debt only to lose.
GoneGirl
AG
The Meeces' BSC goes waaaay back. I can't believe they're still running for public office.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Scoopen Skwert
AG
so I'm guessing mad mike is grand friends with them.
Oogway
554 page lawsuit. That is a lot of trees right there.

Who pays for the District Clerk's defense? Taxpayers? The damages are for between $100,000-200,000. If for some reason the DC were to lose, who pays that?

It is one thing to allege campaign violations, a serious concern, but some of this reads like adults having personal squabbles, behaving like children and telling on each other and then asking the courts to referee.

While that descibes a lot of lawsuits in a nutshell, what a waste of time, money, effort and brainpower.

Quote:

"77. On February 22, 2018 at approximately 11:10 a.m., Garcia, for the first time ever, entered the Brazos County District Clerk's Office in Brazos County Courthouse, a governmental building. Once there, Garcia abruptly began dressing down the current District Clerk's Office staff. He immediately became confrontational, stating, "I'm not the ass, Marc Hamlin is". "I didn't mean what I said about y'all, its Marc Hamlin that doesn't train you". "I didn't mean you don't work" "You need to be trained". He continued calling Marc Hamlin an ass and stated in various ways, that "you need to vote for me so you can keep your job, I don't plan on firing you." The staff at the District Clerks Office were devastated. Garcia then began handing out his campaign materials to the obviously upset staff, telling them to support him.

Belton Ag
AG
When did that article in the Eagle appear which talked about Garcia (and others) not showing up for jury duty when they were summoned? I wouldn't be surprised if Garcia was holding a grudge against Hamlin for that.
Oogway
February of this year.

Quote:

"Three of the five candidates running in the March 6 primary election for Brazos County district clerk have failed at least once to respond to a jury summons between 2010 and 2017, according to data provided by current District Clerk Marc Hamlin.

"I wanted to inform the voter, because an informed voter is a better voter," said Hamlin, who has held the county's district clerk seat for nearly 25 years but is not running for re-election."

Article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theeagle.com/news/local/records-of-brazos-county-district-clerk-candidates-did-not-respond/article_e54278d7-00d4-5388-add5-c03cbde83e12.amp.html

I do find it annoying that Joe Citizen can manage to deal competently with the paperwork/online registry that comes with a summons but some of the candidates who are charged with the ethical administration of said paperwork cannot. Rid your life of the pettiness and focus on the big picture or leave the profession, people.
oldag00
AG
Quote:

"Three of the five candidates running in the March 6 primary election for Brazos County district clerk have failed at least once to respond to a jury summons between 2010 and 2017, according to data provided by current District Clerk Marc Hamlin.

"I wanted to inform the voter, because an informed voter is a better voter," said Hamlin, who has held the county's district clerk seat for nearly 25 years but is not running for re-election."
I would like to see the proof Mr. Hamlin has they received the jury summons before "convicting" them of jury dodging.
Oogway
The article seemed to indicate that the summons is sent through the mail and if it is not returned then they assume the address is correct. That does seem to leave some wiggle room for whether someone has received the summons.

One sad thing in the article was how low the response rate in general is: 28-30%.
TxSquarebody
oldag00 said:

Quote:

I would like to see the proof Mr. Hamlin has they received the jury summons before "convicting" them of jury dodging.

Exactly! Without sending certified mail, how can they prove it was received? I haven't received a jury summons in years.
Floor it until you see God
gettingitdone
Would Marc Hamlin have been so forthcoming if he hadn't hand picked Meece to be he replacement?
Rexter
History repeats itself......like husband, like wife....

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/the-meece-connection/article_8f555353-43cd-5fc7-8ae9-90f29e4a8aeb.html

And another lawsuit and bankruptcy......

https://www.watsonlawyers.com/watson-law-firm-blog/former-jps-file-for-bankruptcy/
befitter
Typical Meece behavior. They have been doing this crap for over a decade and maybe more. They are ridiculous.
KaneIsAble
AG
TxSquarebody said:

oldag00 said:

Quote:

Exactly! Without sending certified mail, how can they prove it was received? I haven't received a jury summons in years.
Ha - using the Post Office mail as a reference. Since I've signed up for Informed Delivery from the USPS I now find there's an envelope about every 3-4 weeks that hits my email but never makes it to my mailbox.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.