Photos from yesterday: Bush 41 train and planes

2,751 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gpetecstxag
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like many other people, I had to pay my respects to Daddy Bush by witnessing the passing of his funeral train. It was quite moving to see all of the support given by everyone as the train passed through our amazing community.

The flyover was awesome to witness, even if done in stages, and a very fitting final tribute to such an amazing gentleman. I know how he loved being in the air above it all, and now he is forever.

RIP, Mr. President.

gibby03
AG
Awesome pictures!!! Thanks.
DWren
Unfortunately I think more people showed up to take pictures than pay their respects .

I'm sure this is old man yelling at clouds to most . I was very happy to see so many show up... but disappointed so many seemed to be there just to take pictures.
As soon as train approached keveryone raised their cell phones .. most didn't even bother to remove their hats.

I get it's a historic event.. but how many pictures do you need?
I got the same pics on my phone today everyone else has and I didn't take a single picture of the train. And I'm glad I got to witness it through my own eyes and take in the occasion.. not witness it through the screen of my phone.

Carry on
dubi
AG
Fantastic photos!

And I think a real photographer was respectful of the event. He wasn't standing on the track or trying to touch the train when it passed by both of which we witnessed.
gpetecstxag
AG
Pictures of Bush 4141 final stop:
Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dZm8fegerugekP2V8
I debated whether to find a spot along Wellborn Rd or on Campus. I chose campus to be nearest his final train stop. I wanted to feel I helped welcome him home. The official map showed Kyle Field parking lot as the nearest location, but I found the Wellborn Rd sidewalk in front of Cain Garage was open. I was fortunate to secure an elevated perch (wheelchair ramp) on the SW corner of Cain. I saw the formation of the Aggie Band, Ross Volunteers, Singing Cadets, and colour guard in lot 61 across the tracks. I saw the funeral hearse and buses arrive and eventually UP 4141. Although obscured by the train, we heard the cadets sing and the band play -- "Hail to the Chief" and to all our surprise, "The Aggie War Hymn" (whoop!). My angle for the flyover was limited, but still amazing. After the crowds dispersed, I discovered upper levels of Cain Garage were open again. I was thrilled to be one of a very few to take pictures of UP 4141 from above. The views of this historic site were extraordinary.
TexasAggie_02
AG
DWren said:

Unfortunately I think more people showed up to take pictures than pay their respects .

I'm sure this is old man yelling at clouds to most . I was very happy to see so many show up... but disappointed so many seemed to be there just to take pictures.
As soon as train approached keveryone raised their cell phones .. most didn't even bother to remove their hats.

I got the same pics on my phone today everyone else has and I didn't take a single picture of the train. And I'm glad I got to witness it through my own eyes and take in the occasion.. not witness it through the screen of my phone.

Carry on

Judging by all the flag waving I saw, I think most people were there for the right reasons. Nothing wrong with photographing it. I have pics my mom took in the 80s when the Olympic torch came thru our little town. They are terrible photos, but they have meaning to me.

Also, I was on campus for the AF1 flyover. As soon as it came into view, someone called it out, and everyone stopped talking. There was dead silence until it was over.
Tailgate88
AG
https://today.tamu.edu/2018/12/07/president-george-h-w-bush-buried-at-texas-am-university/
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
DWren said:

Carry on

I "get" what your sentiments are, but respectfully disagree.

I shared my photos and videos with many who couldn't be here but would have loved to have been

The sound in those videos captured raw emotions of us and those around us. Even the pictures showed frozen images of Americans from toddlers to 90 yr old VFW's

I doubt very seriously that "41" would have thought any of it to be disrespectful
Stupe
S
Exactly.

It's funny that a guy comes on here saying how he was more respectful because he was more reverent...for a man that requested that the Aggie War Hymn played and people saw them off at his funeral.

Edit:

I don't respectfully disagree, I completely disagree.

What you are saying is actually insulting to everyone that showed up in chilly, rainy weather and you need to get over yourself.
gpetecstxag
AG
Pictures of SAM41 final flight:
Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2sPvW2Rm98tjTkzRA

Special Airlift Mission 41 (Air Force One) flyover of George H.W. Bush Presidential Library. Aggies gather outside Reed Arena to pay their respect to Bush 41 and his family on the WWII Navy Airman's final flight en route to Houston. My view was atop the West Campus Garage. As the plane approached, the crowd grew silent--awestruck by the immensity of this historic event.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.