"Rural" Wifi

3,298 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by taxpreparer
NurseC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

I know this topic has been discussed at great lengths, but with coverage and service changing rapidly, I would like to make sure I'm up to date on the latest intel.

My home is in SoCo, between Greens Prairie Rd and Millican. I use an electronic medical records system from home and need reliable, consistent service. We sadly did not get this from CEO.

Is Brazos WiFi a good alternative?? Any recommendations are appreciated!
taxpreparer
AG
We recently built in the back of Enchanted Oaks and put up a fifty foot tower to get access to Brazos Wifi. Even though we are less than two miles from their office, we receive their signal from their King Oaks Tower (Line of sight is required.) We are paying for their 30 Mbit service and are happy with the results so far. We have been in the house less than a month.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
nthomas99
AG
Yes, I've had them for close to two years and have found them to very reliable with great customer service. You'll hear pretty much every customer of theirs echo that sentiment here.

There are *very* occasional outages (e.g., due to really bad weather), but they are good about communicating and getting it solved pretty quickly. We're probably talking less times than I can count on one hand per year. Besides that, I consistently get the 30Mbps down/ 10 Mbps up I pay for.

Pro-tip - Try it out for a few months to see if it's good, but then pay a year at time - 25% discount!
UmustBKidding
Brazos is good but not in that area. Rise is likely available but will be worse than ceo.
Depending on how far south frontier may be a less than ideal alternative.
GSS
Rise tweaked something, as we pay for 15M, and get 25-30M now....but only during offpeak hrs. Evenings the speed falls to 2-3M. A call to Rise last night resulted in the admission of "a lot of our TX towers are oversold"...with no known plan of correcting it.
BrazosWifi
UmustBKidding said:

Brazos is good but not in that area. Rise is likely available but will be worse than ceo.
Depending on how far south frontier may be a less than ideal alternative.

We have recently expanded in the Millican/Wellborn areas.

Give us a ring and we can see what it would take to get you going.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Jetty
AG
We have had Brazos WiFi for almost a year in Enchanted oaks....Love them - very good service!
ChampsAg
We had them in Millican and have them now off HWY 30

Recommend them constantly to others
Ryandawg
taxpreparer said:

We recently built in the back of Enchanted Oaks and put up a fifty foot tower to get access to Brazos Wifi. Even though we are less than two miles from their office, we receive their signal from their King Oaks Tower (Line of sight is required.) We are paying for their 30 Mbit service and are happy with the results so far. We have been in the house less than a month.
Howdy neighbor (Jetty too)! We also just moved to Enchanted Oaks. How much was the tower, and how much is the monthly charge for 30Mb?

harrierdoc
AG
It was recommended to me to try Viasat. Anyone used them? How do they compare with BrazosWiFi?
tfunk02
AG
I moved out to the country a couple of months ago and had to try it all outside of satellite.

Brazos tried, but even though I can clearly see their tower from my roof, couldn't get a good enough signal.
CEO said I needed a huge tower due to trees.
Rise was the only one that could get a signal, but it was 5 mpbs down and 1mbps up and has terrible latency spikes and packet loss even though their tower is the closest and has the clearest view of the 10ish I can see.

I kept hunting for a better internet and finally found one on the RV forums. I got a cell phone booster and a hotspot that uses AT&T LTE service with unlimited data and no deprioritization. I'm now getting 15-45 mbps down and 10 to 80 mbps up. I've had it for a month now with no issues so far. https://www.otrmobile.com/

The booster I got was a SureCall4Home with a yagi antenna and a dome internal antenna. I then got the refurbished nighthawk from OTO.

Good option if you don't want to install a $$ tower...

Here's a speed test I did for this post. It's pretty typical of what I get now.
UmustBKidding
If you can get any wisp they will all likely be better than any satellite provider like viasat
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

I got a cell phone booster and a hotspot that uses AT&T LTE service with unlimited data and no deprioritization.
Just curious, the OTR site says nothing about unlimited data and no deprioritization (or if it did I missed it). Are you sure of both?
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
tfunk02
AG
techno-ag said:

Quote:

I got a cell phone booster and a hotspot that uses AT&T LTE service with unlimited data and no deprioritization.
Just curious, the OTR site says nothing about unlimited data and no deprioritization (or if it did I missed it). Are you sure of both?
They have totally changed the site since I first bought in a little over a month ago. I know I made sure of it before I bought in. Maybe they can answer that in the chat? I did just about 0.4TB of data last month and never noticed any deprioritization.

Also, a little risky that the main provider may zap them, so I wouldn't do the ones that are more than a month long.

Here's the article that I got the original information from. At the bottom you can toggle the tabs to see alternative providers for each service. There are a ton of providers for all major carriers. I just chose AT&T because it was the best I get here. I chose OTO because they are cheap and had refurbished Nighthawks.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/network-management-aka-throttling-practices-for-cellular-data-carriers/

Edit: The article from RVmobile says they contacted OTO and that they said it "not subject to throttling or network management".

Edit2: You may have miss the unlimited part on their site. It's on the front page.

Edit3: From their FB page.
techno-ag
AG
Thanks good info.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
taxpreparer
AG
If I remember right, the tower was $2,500, and the monthly is $105.
Ryandawg
taxpreparer said:

If I remember right, the tower was $2,500, and the monthly is $105.
Thank you! (And sorry it took so long to reply)

taxpreparer
AG
No worries. good luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.