Bush 41 Funeral plans

35,149 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GlassHalfFull
flown-the-coop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Given the length of the train, they are going to have to make some decisions. I would thing they pull it up to Main or further, utilize the concrete surface in the area just south of Main to temporary structures / platforms (and fence removal). They would then need to either split the train at Wellborn or move it North to allow for the motorcade.

Given the public viewing areas, it aint stopping south of GB Drive.
dubi
AG
phatpat21 said:

Flight path?

phatpat21
Haven't found it yet, I'll post here if I find it.
Scruffy
AG
flown-the-coop said:

Given the length of the train, they are going to have to make some decisions. I would thing they pull it up to Main or further, utilize the concrete surface in the area just south of Main to temporary structures / platforms (and fence removal). They would then need to either split the train at Wellborn or move it North to allow for the motorcade.

It is stopping between old main and Joe Routt. At least that is where the practice train was stopped.
They have a ramp/platform built there (where the old "fish lot" was).
They have been practicing this morning.
FearNoWeevil
AG
Scruffy said:

flown-the-coop said:

It is stopping between old main and Joe Routt. At least that is where the practice train was stopped.
You can check Google maps and see the pavement along the tracks between Kimbrough/Joe Routt and Old Main, along with the ramp into the old fish lot. Was redone after the library was built for this occasion.
KidDoc
AG
Just heard a loud jet fly low and fast over my clinic @ Hwy 6 & Fitch. Went to this thread right away figured it was something to do with the funeral.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
Probably so. But that's no where near 21 fast movers. Maybe 2-3.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Probably so. But that's no where near 21 fast movers. Maybe 2-3.
Yeah I figured it was a few of them arriving and landing first. Don't think Easterwood could handle 21 fight jets trying to land all at once.
Oogway
2 jets right over my house. We are already in the flight path for Kyle flyovers, this was slightly northwest of that.
Tailgate88
AG
We need someone who works at Easterwood to update the thread!
D_Wag97
AG
Right over Castlegate at Greens Prairie. Looked like two fighters headed toward campus, then one did the missing man formation...spiraling way up.

BradC34
AG
Notice it said 21-aircraft. Don't think we're going to have 21 Hornets buzzing over at once. I'm also at 6 & Fitch (ish) and those guys are flying LOW. Flight path was roughly from 6 & Fitch in the direction of Bush Library (or maybe the train stop location). Blackhawk passed over in the same direction a few minutes later.
CharlieBrown17
AG
https://news.usni.org/2018/12/04/navy-jets-depart-for-texas-ahead-of-unprecedented-21-aircraft-flyover-for-bush-funeral

This says 21 hornets
Oogway
One of their own is 'missing' so 21 is a nice number to have. Godspeed, Mr. Bush.
CharlieBrown17
AG
So I guess 7, 3 ship missing mans?

I prefer the 4 ship that one pulls up. Would be hard to do with that many though
Stupe
S
I'm assuming that the 21 fighters is referencing a 21 gun salute and one will pull up into the Missing Man pattern.
bushytailed
AG
Good evening colleagues,

Please find below updates in preparation for the interment of President Bush as of COB Tuesday, December 4. As always, a full list of updates can also be found at: honoring41.tamu.edu and georgehwbush.com.

Essential Info
  • Our campus will be open tomorrow, Wednesday, and closed on Thursday.
  • The Office of the Provost sent out a detailed note today related to observances for the Wednesday "Day of Mourning" proclamation issued by Governor Abbott, with guidance per TAMU campus or site. I encourage you to read information about our campuses. For any questions that remain, contact provost@tamu.edu.
  • Last night, the City of College Station issued a news release related traffic closures, parking and public viewing information. Traffic closure updates include:
    • George Bush Drive, from FM2818 to Wellborn Rd.
    • Wellborn Rd, from University Dr. to George Bush Dr.
    • Penberthy Blvd, from Luther St. to George Bush Dr.
    • Marion Pugh Dr. at George Bush Dr.
Today's Activities
  • Today, full rehearsals commenced at the train arrival and Bush Library sites, locations that will be within the secure perimeter on Thursday.
  • I would like to offer a special shout out for jobs well done to TAMU Special Events and SSC grounds teams for their amazing work in place in construction, audio/visual equipment, logistics, and grounds beautification in preparation to honor President Bush and his family. Being at the rehearsal today with military and other participants was truly moving; I am sure the actual event will be even more so.
  • Media credentialing, interviews and preparation continued today.
  • The Athletics Department unveiled a new helmet sticker that the team will wear to the bowl game on December 31st, as well as a "41" patch that our basketball teams will wear following the funeral, both of which were approved by the Bush family.
Tomorrow/Wednesday
  • Remember, this campus is open tomorrow (Wednesday).
  • We expect an increased number of members of the media to arrive tomorrow. Please refer media to tamunews@tamu.edu so that we may log and manage requests for interviews and media needs centrally in support of the Bush family and the Military District of Washington leadership.
  • We hope to have authorization to release some information about those Aggie students and others who have the distinct honor in serving in the funeral and interment in certain roles.

Finally, thank you for your patience as these logistics are finalized. While our campus is home to this extraordinary event, we are in support mode to the Bush family and the Military District of Washington and are working hard to ensure that we remain in step with their guidance. We have received so many comments already from our visitors about how much they appreciate the welcome that they have received and the excellent support to them by university employees. I believe that many of them are seeing what President Bush saw in us and also how much we love him.

Sincerely,
Amy B. Smith
Sr. Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer

(edited with revision that was later sent)
dubi
AG
Stupe said:

I'm assuming that the 21 fighters is referencing a 21 gun salute and one will pull up into the Missing Man pattern.

Explain?

Will all 21 fly by at the same time?

or 7/7/7?
Gigemchicken90
AG
FearNoWeevil said:

Scruffy said:

flown-the-coop said:

You can check Google maps and see the pavement along the tracks between Kimbrough/Joe Routt and Old Main, along with the ramp into the old fish lot. Was redone after the library was built for this occasion.
this is where we tailgate and had to move this year. We were told that they were keeping the area a "green space" for this occasion. They contacted after Mrs. Bush died and he was hospitalized. I think this is also when the Corps and Band begin to practice for this day.
Oogway
This is from a FAQ on the govt site referencing state funerals:
Quote:

"Flyover- Flyovers with a missing man formation are provided at funeral or memorial services in honor of rated active-duty aviation personnel, and dignitaries of the Armed Forces or federal government. During a state funeral, the flyover consists of 21 tactical fighter aircraft, in formation as a single lead aircraft followed by five flights of four aircraft each. The number three aircraft in the final flight executes the missing man maneuver. NOTE: President Kennedy was the first president to receive a flyover, which consisted of 50 fighter aircraft, with a missing V formation."

jiffer
AG
Does anyone know the route that the motorcade will take from the train? Will they come back down Wellborn to George Bush?
Scruffy
AG
Per the website they go down Olsen to Bush
Stupe
S
I don't have a clue since this has never been done before.
Tailgate88
AG
Does anyone here know if and when they might be doing practice runs for the flyby today? I would love to get some video and think it might be easier to get close today rather than fight traffic tomorrow.
Oogway
Someone may have more precise times, but yesterday it was between 2:30 and 4:00? I guess whatever time I posted because they passed over two maybe three times (if I run out of the house it's always too late!). When the planes come for the football games they often practice in the late afternoon. The path for this flyover wasn't the same (obviously) as the games so I won't have as much time to spot them. Tbh, the Jones Crossing parking lot may have a pretty good view.

Edit to add-if you get pics/video, please post them here. I am very proud that they are honoring the former President in this manner.
Tailgate88
AG
Oogway said:

Someone may have more precise times, but yesterday it was between 2:30 and 4:00? I guess whatever time I posted because they passed over two maybe three times (if I run out of the house it's always too late!). When the planes come for the football games they often practice in the late afternoon. The path for this flyover wasn't the same (obviously) as the games so I won't have as much time to spot them. Tbh, the Jones Crossing parking lot may have a pretty good view.

Edit to add-if you get pics/video, please post them here. I am very proud that they are honoring the former President in this manner.
I am going to try that location when I hear them flying around. I'm near Wellborn so I assume they'll be forming up to start their runs out here. When that happens, I'm going to high tail it up to Jones Crossing and set up my tripod and see what I can get. I'm only filming from a couple iPhones but still might be able to get some cool video. We'll see! Will post what I get.
csnole
Air Force One will fly over Bush Library today around 4 PM!!
dubi
AG
csnole said:

Air Force One will fly over Bush Library today around 4 PM!!

Quote:

Confirmed: AIR FORCE ONE will fly over the George Bush Library and Museum in College station around 3:55 p.m. WEDNESDAY (today) to pay tribute to 41. The plane is flying under the name "Special Mission 41."

Best viewing spot: Reed Arena parking lot will be open to the public.
frito bandito
CBS reported this morning that the plane bringing 41 back to Houston this afternoon will do a flyover of the Bush Library / gravesite. Has anyone confirmed this, or have a time when this will occur? Sorry, did not see the post above me. Thanks for the info.
BradC34
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Does anyone here know if and when they might be doing practice runs for the flyby today? I would love to get some video and think it might be easier to get close today rather than fight traffic tomorrow.

Just hang out in the parking lot at the Towerpoint HEB. They'll pass very close.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-flyover--501978231.html

Quote:

The 89th Airlift Wing will conduct a tribute flight in honor of former President George H.W. Bush with an Air Force VC-25A over the interment site at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library on the campus of Texas A&M University Wednesday at about 3:55 p.m.

The Boeing 747 aircraft flying over College Station is one of two VC-25As assigned to the Presidential Airlift Group, 89th Airlift Wing. When the President of the United States is onboard the VC-25A, it is commonly referred to as "Air Force One." For this mission supporting the State Funeral, the aircraft call sign is "Special Airlift Mission 41," in honor of the former President of the United States.

Texas A&M students, faculty and staff, and members of the public who are interested in watching the flyover are encouraged to view it from the Reed Arena parking lot on the Texas A&M campus. The Reed Arena lot will be open for parking to all who would like to attend.

The flyover may not be viewed from the grounds of the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library Complex as it has been closed in preparation for the former president's interment ceremony on Thursday, Dec. 6.
University officials said the event is an opportunity to be present close to where the flyover will be in order to wave in a show of love and support for President Bush and his family.

The 89th Airlift Wing provides global Special Air Mission airlift, logistics, aerial port and communications for the president, vice president, members of Congress, cabinet members, combatant commanders and other senior military leaders. The 89th Airlift Wing is based at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland,
happyinBCS
It would seem the flyover this afternoon will be quite a bit later the schedule says they are suppose to be leaving joint base Andrews at 12 15 yet they are still having the church service
happyinBCS
Wheels up at 1 27
TexasAggie_02
AG
happyinBCS said:

Wheels up at 1 27
does that mean that they will be here at 4:55 then?
dubi
AG
Quote:

does that mean that they will be here at 4:55 then?
They can make up time in the air depending on prevailing winds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.