Best News Station in Town??

3,047 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by McInnis80
AirlineAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which news station in town is your personal favorite? KBTX, KAGS, KYLE, KAMU??
BaitShack
AG
https://texags.com/forums/35
Broncos
KBTX, by far. No offense if you're a weather person with the others.
barbara314tx
I watch KAGS because of the weatherman. No offense to the others, but Bob French is the best.
Justin2010
AG
The production values for KAGS are so bad.

But I actually like the anchors on KAGS much better. And they lean conservative, where kbtx.... doesn't.
Look Out Below
AG
News people shouldn't 'lean' at all.
ontheedge
KAGS for me. I haven't a clue who is on KBTX anymore besides Bruffett and Shel.
Sleepnumber
AG
KAGS
Scruffy
AG
BaitShack said:

https://texags.com/forums/35

This.
The "news stations" in town are little better than the old neighborhood "paper" that came out one a week and less up to date than "next door" with even less impactful stories.
If you want weather, go online.
If you want to know what's going on around the area, this forum.
If you want to know what's going on in our neighborhood, next door and Facebook.
Want to know about crime, check the PD's ****yer or Facebook.
Goose83
AG
Look Out Below said:

News people shouldn't 'lean' at all.
True, but maybe you should tell that to KBTX then.
BrandoC
AG
All of them are trash but KTBX is way better than the rest. They rest are still in the stone ages when in comes to visuals and backdrops.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think kbtx does a solid job for this size market. I do think they cover way too many "my landlord didn't fix my roof" or "they wont fix the roads so i called the news station" type stories.
KidDoc
AG
KBTX for me by a large margin.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
WTAW covers local news well.
95_Aggie
AG
lol at someone trusting Facebook for news, neighborhood or otherwise
Buford T. Justice
AG
Perhaps I am very naive, but in this market, I've never understood why the "leading" tv news station, the only newspaper, and news radio station don't merge forces and present a cohesive approach to the news.
Stupe
S
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I think kbtx does a solid job for this size market. I do think they cover way too many "my landlord didn't fix my roof" or "they wont fix the roads so i called the news station" type stories.
Personally, I'm glad that they have to fill time with those types of stories. That's one of the reasons that we chose to stay here.

Stupe
S
AGnCS said:

lol at someone trusting Facebook for news, neighborhood or otherwise
"lol" all that you want, but official Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages from law enforcement or school districts are usually the quickest way to find out information. Same thing with neighborhood pages if the HOA is on top of things.

Stupe
S
Vertical tic-tac-to with that icon.
bobinator
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Perhaps I am very naive, but in this market, I've never understood why the "leading" tv news station, the only newspaper, and news radio station don't merge forces and present a cohesive approach to the news.
KBTX and The Eagle do have a little bit of a content sharing agreement. You'll sometimes see KBTX video on Eagle stories.

But one thing I hope that people understand is that KBTX has WAY more resources than KAGS does locally. There's a reason that they can cover seemingly every event in town compared to KAGS, which doesn't have anywhere near the staff.

One issue that all of the local news outlets face is that with the pay for journalists being as low as it is right now and this being a mid-size market (or for TV, a small market), there is really high turnover for entry-level journalists.

I think KBTX has done a really good job of keeping some really talented people here in town, and it shows.
AggiePhil
AG
KBTX does a great job in my opinion. I've lived in two other similarly sized markets. One was awful and the other had two stations on par with KBTX.
techno-ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

KBTX does a great job in my opinion. I've lived in two other similarly sized markets. One was awful and the other had two stations on par with KBTX.
KBTX has that awesome theme song that runs three or four times every newscast.

KBTX! Brazos Valley, this is for you!

No other media outlet in town has a song like that.
halibut sinclair
McInnis80
I moved to Temple a couple of years ago and was surprised to learn that Waco and B/CS are considered one TV market. Gray owns the CBS stations in both cities, Tenga owns the NBC stations, Raycom owns ABC and the FOX station is a Waco station with another transmitter in B/CS. I don't know if it still true, but if you get Direct TV in B/CS you get the Waco local stations.

The joys of small market news.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.