ANOTHER SEXUAL ASSAULT AT THE COTTAGES

6,276 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cslifer
szimmerman78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
theycallmemrtibbs
Very sad to hear about your daughter, seems like there have been an increase in recent weeks of these types of assaults.

If she is a student, here's some great resources: Survivor Resource Guide

Student Life also has a lawyer on staff to help students with legal matters, like rental contract disputes: https://studentlife.tamu.edu/sls/

cslifer
Per state law they are only required to release the victim from the lease. Texas property code 92.0161 lays out how she can get out of it (documentation ect).
TxSquarebody
Has the guy assumed room temperature yet?
Floor it until you see God
CrottyKid
AG
Agreed. All tennants should be released at least temporarily to get the perps blood stains out of the carpet and off the walls and ceiling.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Has there been a positive ID and arrest?
Oogway
It seems like this (or something like it) has been going on for at least two to three years (back to 2015). Is it the same perpetrator? I remember reading/watching the news and the residents (at the Cottages) would awaken and the man was standing over them watching. Creepy.
OP- hope they catch the perp and hope your daughter is able to find some peace.
Love Gun
Guns. Buy them. Train with them. Use them accordingly.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Hire an attorney
txgardengirl
Fred Bayliss

Wayne Rife

Hire an attorney and get her & Her roommates out.
cslifer
People crack me up, why run straight to the attorney route? Management will let the victim out when required documentation is produced (police report or hospital record). They aren't obligated to let the others out under the law. People make things sooooo much harder than they have to be.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Because nobody is advocating for "you" except for you and whomever you hire.

We don't know sll the details, but it sure sounds to me like this particular property has some security issues......based only on reports we've heard in past 18 months

Landlord certainly has legal counsel. Why would anyone deny same to the occupants of a property that was invaded?
cslifer
security issues? Do they have faulty locks on the doors? I would venture to say that complex is no less secure than others in town.
TKDMom
People crack me up, why run straight to the attorney route? Management will let the victim out when required documentation is produced (police report or hospital record). They aren't obligated to let the others out under the law. People make things sooooo much harder than they have to be.

If my college-aged daughter had an intruder come into her home and sexually assault her roommate, the apartment complex had better let her out of the lease. I'd just as soon she not become another statistic.
cslifer
I understand your personal feelings, but the law is very clear on this. They must release the victim once proper documentation is provided. They are not obligated to release anyone else no matter what mom/dad/attorney/cousin has to say about it. It isn't personal, it is just business.
taxpreparer
AG

Quote:

If my college-aged daughter had an intruder come into her home and sexually assault her roommate, the apartment complex had better let her out of the lease. I'd just as soon she not become another statistic.

[url=https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3004976/next][/url]

Quote:

cslifer
1:05p

I understand your personal feelings, but the law is very clear on this. They must release the victim once proper documentation is provided. They are not obligated to release anyone else no matter what mom/dad/attorney/cousin has to say about it. It isn't personal, it is just business.
Just to be clear; are you saying that the roommate was not a victim, just because she was not assaulted? her apartment was broken into. She was victimized. If this has happened in multiple units, the complex manager should have gotten of their backsides and done something to beef up security. maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe they were afraid that a response would indicate culpability. Whatever, they should be as accommodating as possible to the victims (all occupants of the breached apartments, and working as hard as possible to assure other tenants they have taken steps to prevent further incidents. Will it be cheap? No, but it does seem top be necessary.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Oogway
I think I can understand both perspectives in that the way apartments are constructed these days, it is essentially a 4 (or 5) bedroom but each bed has it's own lease, so management doesn't have to view it the way a parent or resident would (which is from the viewpoint that this apartment (in its entirety) may be unsafe. Because this has been an ongoing issue, I'm curious; are people not locking their doors? Is there a 'passkey' problem and the locks need changing?

The apartments are managed by Homestead U, one of those national management companies and an arm of Columbus Pacific Properties based in Santa Monica, California. One of their CEOs is Brian Shirken. Maybe someone from that group of residents could give him a call. Although, given that this has been going on since they've owned the property (2014), my guess is they aren't concerned.
The apartments have a lot of positive reviews which are either true, incentivized , or not true. I don't know anyone who lives there so I haven't got a clue.

Again, I hope they catch the perp. In the meantime, be careful out there and lock your doors.
aggiepaintrain
AG
it's all fun and games until it's your kid

sublease the place if you can't get out of the lease

this is why the tamu dorms look better and better
cslifer
It is really quite simple. The roommate was a victim of a burglary, nothing more. The law says the apartment must release you if you are the victim of a sex crime or family violence ect. Burglary is not listed in the "must release from lease" list. So no, the roommate is not a victim so far as the lease is concerned.
In fact, if the piece of garbage came through the victims window and never left her private room, the other roommates weren't even victims of a burglary.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Please everybody

Stop feeding the troll

He was almost gone. Long after already being forgotten
cslifer
Come on now, just because you don't like the law it doesn't make someone a troll when they quote it.
BaitShack
AG
It looks like they caught the guy.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-police-arrest-man-tied-to-several-assaults-near-Holleman-502482482.html

happyinBCS
Is this guy in Jail? The 5 news said he bonded out
Alta
AG
If they want out isn't that why they should hire a lawyer? The only way out of a contract isn't because state law says you have an out.
cslifer
If the law is on their side it really doesn't matter if you have an attorney or not....
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Please everybody

Stop feeding the troll

He was almost gone. Long after already being forgotten
cslifer
Nobody responded to you so you just decided to respond to yourself?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.