Marine One to GB41 Library...What about AF1?

1,910 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rapier108
FarmerKeith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marine One to CS

This is cool...And I like the fact that they're going to open a restaurant.

My question is...What is it going to take to get one of the two retiring Air Force One's setup at the GB Library in a few years when the new ones enter service. 41 was President when the 747-400s entered service, and his library is one of few that has ample space to accommodate such an exhibit. Seems like solid logic to me...Anyone know anything about that discussion?
BQ_90
AG
unless you take out the parking lot not sure there is room for that
hijakeroo123
AG
Most likely, the retiring Air Force Ones will be scrapped due to security reasons (similarity to replacement aircraft could possibly a major risk). This is what typically happens with the presidential vehicles, the one at the Bush Library is actually the last which will be put out on display.
happyinBCS
To go inside Air Force 1 at the Reagan library is a very cool experience.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wright Patt AFB has a pretty large collection of AF1 aircraft. Wouldn't be surprised to see it join those.
Mathguy64
AG
The LBJ ranch has his Presidential Lockheed JetStar.
pudge
Those are 747-200 airplanes used as AF1... tells you how old they really are...
carpe vinum
AG
Would be cool, but I'd imagine the maintenance expense would be LARGE.
Rapier108
pudge said:

Those are 747-200 airplanes used as AF1... tells you how old they really are...
Pretty much the last two -200s built. The -400 was already in production when the VC-25s were being built.

Some of the -400s upgrades were incorporated into the VC-25s.
Rapier108
hijakeroo123 said:

Most likely, the retiring Air Force Ones will be scrapped due to security reasons (similarity to replacement aircraft could possibly a major risk). This is what typically happens with the presidential vehicles, the one at the Bush Library is actually the last which will be put out on display.
It wouldn't be hard to remove all of the classified equipment before putting it on display, especially if no one will be going inside it.

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force (Wright-Patterson), the Smithsonian, or the Museum of Flight in Seattle would be likely candidates to get one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.