First Look at Bryan Superpark Plans

6,092 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by barbara314tx
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-council-gets-first-look-at-super-park-amenities-prices/article_4b904930-4c1a-5823-aee6-e38a5d077995.html#comments

I thought the input from the citizens survey showed a clear preference for nature trails and natural areas to be the predominant use of the former golf course, with athletic fields down the list. However, the first phase plan show the major portion will be comprised of an indoor athletic complex and outdoor fields , with an estimated initial price tag of up to $75 million.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIop0kU-d39tgyAq4qkIUvyW4rmjnGKFqF-vKfP-r5C0nX2g/viewanalytics
toolshed
AG
Nature trails and natural areas don't bring in tourism/ sports events, which I think is the intended purpose of the development. Something in the idea of Veterans Park. This proposal doesn't show any football/ soccer fields, so it seems to be filling a different niche. The indoor areas will provide something that BCS doesn't have, outside of school venues.

I think it's wise to build something that will bring in rental fees/ HOT taxes to offset the city's investment, seeing the proposed amount of money to be spent on the area.

There looks to be a large natural lawn area on the corner closest to Wellborn/ VM. That, in addition to cleaning up the lake area, adding bulkheads to the shore areas, seems to fulfill some of the "natural" area requests.
Law361
AG
Could be 10-20 years?! What a joke
starks500
no not a joke
birdman
It's difficult for politicians to skim money off nature areas.
michellecan
I'm excited to see this. It's great for Bryan!
bcstx06
Bryan's New Superpark Will Include A Private Developer

http://wtaw.com/2019/03/27/bryans-new-superpark-will-include-a-private-developer/

Can't wait for BigShots!!! I just hope they don't try to make it small just because they believe this area can't support this type of business. Please don't make this mistake, bigger is better!

bryanhome
Hope they take better care of the Super park than they are the new golf course. It is a disgrace the shape it is in.
bcstx06
Are they adding a extra 3rd lane to West Villa Maria along the side of the park and also adding a street through the park? That's what it looked like they were doing the last time I passed through that area, but it was dark.
BCSWguru
That's a turn lane into the park and is good to go
davido
AG
birdman said:

It's difficult for politicians to skim money off nature areas.

Spoken like someone with no clue how local service works. Easy to poke fun from the cheap seats.

So who are you proposing is making all of this money from the deal? I'll hang up and listen.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
bryanhome said:

Hope they take better care of the Super park than they are the new golf course. It is a disgrace the shape it is in.

I realize this post is from almost a year ago

We just played there Saturday for the first time ever. The course was packed with players but still less than 4.5 hrs for a round including a 30 minute break at the turn

Club house has very nice bar area and plenty extensive menu. Food was >= acceptable......about like Applebees IMO

Greens are fast. Like frozen pond fast. Little "rough" in some patches but acceptable for winter play. Fairways yielded playable lies 95% of the time and greenside bunkers actually had real playable sand.

For the price, I imagine that a normal weekday its not a horrible track at all. Weekends there are a lot of balls flying around. (Including from #11 fairway duckhooks into the practice area)

AG
Agreed. The new golf course was an excellent move by the city.
EliteElectric
EliteElectric
Getting a Big Shots Golf at the SW corner of that property.
Brian Alg
source?
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
EliteElectric
I have the plans for it in my office. Got invited to bid it.
bcstx06
EliteElectric said:

I have the plans for it in my office. Got invited to bid it.

Wow! That's great news! Is that near where they added the new turn lane?
EliteElectric
SW corner
Captn_Ag05
AG
What is the timeframe for construction?
EliteElectric
Have no earthly idea it hasn't even bid yet, but judging by the drawings and taking a completely wild guess I would say 15 -24 months after contract letting. So somewhere between fall 2021 and summer 2022
barbara314tx
My mind is a bit foggy these days, but isn't this the location where the arsenic/lead was found from the old Atochem plant? From what I recall the lead couldnt be completely removed. How would we find credible info on this?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.