Plumber for running a gas line?

1,310 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jetty
Jetty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want to convert our wood burning fireplace to gas logs. We live in the county and don't have gas in the house. We have a propane tank on the side of the house to heat pool/spa.

Anyone have a recommendation for a local plumber to run a longish gas line?
Thanks!
Koko Chingo
AG
I have used Wilsons Plumbing in the past for gas with great results. A couple of things to consider:

- This is a routine thing for most plumbers so there are many who can do this.
- Plumbers (especially good ones) are busy. If someone can jump on it the same or next day; I would be nervous. Most jobs like this have a small lead time.
- You say you are in the country; depending on where, maybe get quotes from someone in Caldwell or Navasota.
- It will be very expensive to pay a plumber to dig. To save money rent a trencher and do it yourself or farm out the digging. A general rule is to only pay skilled labor to do work in their skill set and get general labor to do the rest (at a greatly reduced cost).

If you do dig yourself or farm it out, make sure you do these things: --- Have your plumber give you the exact dimensions of the trench to be dug out, in writing on the estimate. Walk with the plumber and mark the exact path of the trench to be dug out. Mark the trench with the plumber present. Locate utilities http://www.lonestar811.com/ . Once that is done, double check that nothing showed up unexpectedly and either re-route (+ verify with plumber) or start digging. You can locate utilities before the plumber arrives too. The markings are valid for 14 days so this may/may not be practical in scheduling the entire job. Maybe ask them over the phone.

Digging sucks, and right now it being so wet, a shovel full seems like it weighs 75 lbs after 20 minutes of digging.

carpe vinum
AG
Wilson is my go to.
Jetty
AG
Thanks for the replies! Im thinking they'll go through the attic and drop down. I'm assuming that can be done??

The whole way from tank to fireplace is concrete.

We're off Hwy 30 about 3 miles past Central Baptist.

I'll give Wilson a call. Thanks again!
Koko Chingo
AG
Jetty said:

The whole way from tank to fireplace is concrete.

Ouch!

You may want to ask the board who does this kind of concrete repair work.

You do not want to mess around and do a poor quality patch job. Especially if there is a spot where people walk or play. You do not want the repaired area to heave later on down the road causing a tripping hazard.

Overall, concrete is not that big of a deal; just more expensive. Get a few bids; not just for price but to see if people have different methods/options for running the pipe.
Jetty
AG
Sorry I must have not have said it clearly. Have ZERO INTEREST in tearing up concrete!! Paid too much for that!

Hope they can run gas line up the wall and into the attic and drop down outside wall and into firebox.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.