Satellite Radio Dead Spots?

5,477 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UmustBKidding
8RB8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone with SiriusXM notice a huge increase in dead spots throughout town? Always total outage driving past the new Jones Crossing HEB.
75AG
AG
Yes! I spoke to a tech at Sirius XM last week who told me they have outages reported in Kansas and College Station. But no reason why. After about an hour, my radio reset. Then happened again the next day.
lockett93
AG
https://www.rcrwireless.com/20151211/network-infrastructure/fcc-rules-in-t-mobile-us-favor-in-sirius-xm-spectrum-dispute-tag20

And this... claims it could be auto antenna made for both Sirius and XM
https://insidetowers.com/andy-seybold-offers-solution-to-t-mobile-siriusxm-interference/

My 17 F150 doesn't have issues, 13 Infiniti QX56 does.
birdman
Mine goes silent every day near the A&M building on Texas near Whataburger. Somebody is jamming my signals.
95_Aggie
AG
My reception would go out crossing over the bridge (2818 over Wellborn) but now it goes out as soon as I approach the new HEB on Wellborn.
ukbb2003
Mine and my wife's goes out by Tower Point and driving by the mall and Grand Station.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
I have issues at Fitch and 6 as well as Boonville and 6
GottaRide
S
6 between University and 2818. The worst reception is at Southwest Parkway/6.
AgsWin2011
AG
Can't believe some people still pay for Sirius XM anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but with Spotify Premium, Google Music, Amazon Music and even Apple Music being only $10 it's a no brainer.

Although sometime they send me an offer for 3 months for $25 but I don't ever take advantage of.
AggieAces06
AG
Heismenberg said:

Can't believe some people still pay for Sirius XM anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but with Spotify Premium, Google Music, Amazon Music and even Apple Music being only $10 it's a no brainer.

Although sometime they send me an offer for 3 months for $25 but I don't ever take advantage of.

Sign up for the trial, then call and tell them you want to cancel. They will keep dropping their monthly fee as long as you keep saying you want to cancel. I'm down to about $8/month.

But yes, I have had dead spots along Texas Ave near the Southwest Parkway intersection, and then Hwy 6 and Southwest Pkwy.
UglyScientist
I have problems at Fitch/Wellborn, Wellborn/2818 and 2818/60.
Post removed:
by user
bcstx06
Goes out at Wellborn and 2818 and has been doing so for years. Also along William J Bryan near the Brazos County Court House. Always goes out there. And several other places around town near taller buildings. Also under many of the overpasses on highway 6, but that's because the signal is being blocked.
Carny89
Downtown by the courthouse too. Just needs a clear view of southern sky.
UglyScientist
Ugh yes, forgot about the courthouse downtown!
saltydog13
AG
Heismenberg said:

You can get Sirius XM for $5 a month any day of the week, but there's so many dead spots around town that I cancelled.
chloelee
Texas and University for me
halibut sinclair
I've had Sirius for over 10 years in 4 different vehicles and never had an issue with reception.
Wicked Good Ag
Other than occasional underpasses and at many drive thrus we have never had a reception issue as well and we always get it for 30 dollars for 6 months
KK
If you are having dead spots consistently (same spots regardless of time) then it could be the antenna in your vehicle.

I had the same problem and found somewhere online that said they used the wrong antenna.

Took it to ford and they swapped it out and now it works fine.

I had a dead spot at wellborn/2818.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
birdman said:

Somebody is jamming my signals.
Pretty sure TexAgs Radio is doing the jamming. That Gabe is pretty sneaky.
stinkerbelle
I have been hitting dead spots quite a bit. I don't remember all of them, some are just in a one time passing, but 2 main spots I travel daily that I know are dead spots for me are Copperfield @ Boonville (Highway 30) and the Courthouse.
We got a 30 day free trial when we bought the car and in that 30 days I don't recall any outages or dead spots. Then we took advantage of the $25 special and that's when we started having problems. Now that I see this post and others having same issues, I think its just coincidence that it started happening after I purchased the special offer.
frito bandito
Have had issues in our current F150, especially at University and Texas; never had issues in a VW Passat.

However, I keep the account because I can use the mobile app to listen to Astros, Stars, Purdue football in my other car or anywhere else I have my phone.
halibut sinclair
Heismenberg said:

I prefer Sirius to those services because I like the "real" radio station feel to the Sirius channels - air talent, jingles, etc., without commercials. Plus Howard Stern, Astros, news and comedy channels.
stinkerbelle
KK said:

If you are having dead spots consistently (same spots regardless of time) then it could be the antenna in your vehicle.

I had the same problem and found somewhere online that said they used the wrong antenna.

Took it to ford and they swapped it out and now it works fine.

I had a dead spot at wellborn/2818.
Thanks for that info, will get mine checked out.
nwspmp
I've had it on my '13 Volt, my wife's '15 Genesis and my previous 13 Golf R and her previous '12 Passat. Aside from the underpasses, there are two spots that I've regularly had lack of signal. On WJB next to the courthouse (building blocking signal) and one particularly heavy tree cover on 29th near downtown.

We have it for $5/month including the streaming which I use on my phone and she has the satellite tied to her car.
Anonymous Source
S
Jason's Deli parking lot, without fail
Gig 'Em
JMac03
AG
birdman said:

Mine goes silent every day near the A&M building on Texas near Whataburger. Somebody is jamming my signals.
Interesting. It is an IT building. I drive past it every day and have spent lots of time in it, and never noticed it dropping. I will pay more attention when I drive by, but not sure what they would have to cause an outage.
montegobay
My husband's CRV goes out in front of new HEB and on 6 at University. My 2017 Pilot doesn't have dead spots.
birdman
That's correct. I assume the IT building transmits something that conflicts with my radio. Or it has some "halo" around it to prevent snooping. That diagnosis is based on watching every James Bond movie.

I've never had my radio lose signal ever anywhere else. And it cuts off immediately when I drive by it every single time which is twice per day.
JMac03
AG
birdman said:

That's correct. I assume the IT building transmits something that conflicts with my radio. Or it has some "halo" around it to prevent snooping. That diagnosis is based on watching every James Bond movie.

I've never had my radio lose signal ever anywhere else. And it cuts off immediately when I drive by it every single time which is twice per day.
I can find out. I know the majority of the gear located in that building. I can sit in the parking lot and mine works, so not sure why it would fail on others. It did not cut out on my way to campus, leaving or coming back today.
MsDoubleD81
AG
AggieAces06 said:

Heismenberg said:

Sign up for the trial, then call and tell them you want to cancel. They will keep dropping their monthly fee as long as you keep saying you want to cancel. I'm down to about $8/month.

But yes, I have had dead spots along Texas Ave near the Southwest Parkway intersection, and then Hwy 6 and Southwest Pkwy.

Same here with the price of Sirrius. I also get the online listening added in for free - argued that in the deal 2 renewals ago.
UmustBKidding
Doubt its anything in the building but the tower located next to blue baker. Know its got some sprint equipment but may also have to Tmo on it. The site on top of Jasons across the street is Verizon. The site behind Jack in the box/on top of hotel is AT&T It's a RF rich environment over there. Basically the issue with intermod can happen almost anywhere. Been chasing a problem case near Readfields but only when the sun goes down, likely someones lighting system causing it, but now to find it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.