Restaurants or cafes that will let you bring your own wine

2,785 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gunner0740
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to bring my own bottle of vino to a restaurant or cafe. What places in B/CS allow you to bring one in?
Gunner0740
Maddens charges a cork fee but let's you bring in your own wine
Tumble Weed
Just called Madden's. They have a $20 cork fee.
jskin261
A while back Yole's La Familia in Welborn was byob.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
jskin261 said:

A while back Yole's La Familia in Welborn was byob.

Still is.
gettingitdone
I believe Polly's Mi Conina allows you to.
TxSquarebody
OMG Seafood is BYOB
Floor it until you see God
happyinBCS
I think that is a bit high I think they want to sell their own wine
Gunner0740
$20 cork fee is a pretty standard pricing for a cork fee
happyinBCS
[You didn't join TexAgs a month ago and you have been around long enough to know that this is not the General Board. -Staff]
BlueMiles
AG
Paolo's used to bug no longer does. See nought's post below.
DPlainview
AG
I'd say that's a little aggressive there with the new guy, why the tone? I'd also say that a $20 corkage at a "nice" restaurant is pretty standard - it's much higher in Houston/Dallas. They want you, of course, to purchase the wine they provide. That's how they make money. To me, for providing you with stemware, serving your bottle, and forgoing the revenue - $20 doesn't sound like that much.

IMO paying a corkage is generally only worth it if you are going to bring in a higher priced bottle of wine ($40+). However, strictly from an economic perspective (given 2x+ markups) as soon as you go past a $20/btl - it's cheaper to pay corkage.

To answer your question directly, there aren't many "nice" restaurants in town that have a corkage fee at all (e.g. Republic, Veritas, Christopher's, Porter's, Poppy, etc.). This is primarily for two reasons. First, almost all of our nice restaurants have a full bar. As soon as an establishment serves hard liquor, it is against the law for them to allow patrons to bring in alcohol. Second, most restaurants want you buying their alcohol - allowing corkage substantially cuts into their profits so most don't even if they can.

I will actually choose Madden's on occasion if we have a nice bottle of wine and don't want to cook because of their corkage fee policy. I appreciate the restaurant's willingness to allow that option.
nought
AG
Paolo's no longer can allow you to bring your own wine as they serve hard liquor now.

40 Tempura does allow you to bring your own wine. I believe their corkage fee is $15, which is reasonable to me. It lets me bring, say, a $50 bottle of wine and drink it for $65 total rather than drinking a $50 bottle of wine and paying $150 for it (like you would at, say, Christopher's, which has some of the highest markup in this town).
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks for the update. I'll edit my earlier post.
FlyRod
Ask the folks at Ronin...they are pretty cool in general and if you tell them its for a special occasion they likely will let you do it. No idea what if any corkage fee they'd charge.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Cenare for a while didn't/maybe still doesn't have a liquor license. Could bring in bottles and they wouldn't even charge a corking fee.
Tumble Weed
Thank you to everyone for all of the recommendations. I went to Madden's, and it was a nice lunch. They had some food options that would go with the wine.

I am planning on giving Ronin a try, they just aren't open for lunch. I went to a banquet this week in the Ice House on Main. It has undergone quite the transformation.
Gunner0740
[The Aggleland Forum is strictly moderated regarding posters being respectful to each other when replying on a thread. If a poster is disrespectful on this particular forum use the voting function so we will be alerted to the post. Do not respond with an inappropriate post. -Staff]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.