No more left turns onto Wellborn Rd from Navarro Dr and Cain Rd

3,699 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SPI-FlatsCatter 84
Jess04
How long do you want to ignore this user?

About time. That maneuver looks so dangerous during times of high traffic.
kevmiller
I get the need to eliminate left turns onto Wellborn from Cain... but this is going to force even more vehicles to the cluster that already is at wellborn/ Rock Prairie

Belton Ag
AG
Extremely well thought out move by the city to do this while Holleman South is closed between Deacon and S Dowling. Bravo COCS.
phatpat21
Per CSPD, they are going to make an intersection at Deacon Rd/Wellborn
So that will be good but who knows when that will be
I get that it sucks to close that intersection down but man it was WAY to dangerous
Lone Stranger
Right turn off Cain to u-turn at Deacon back towards campus says "hello". And none of those folks can hang a u-turn without turning into the farthest right lane headed back towards campus.

Be careful out there.
doubledog
So what is more dangerous, turning left across three lanes of traffic or making a wide U turn that forces one to cross at least one or two lanes of traffic?
Rexter
That's a poorly written blurb. It should say the left turns from Wellborn, or ideally, the side streets must turn right due to the full median on Wellborn. There was nothing done to Cain or Navarro.
The way it reads, some poindexter is going to think he can still cross Wellborn from Cain or Navarro.
prymetyme07
I've never seen a city so horrible at advanced planning.

You close a major thoroughfare (Holleman South), forcing people to already one of the most dangerous intersections in the city (Cain/Wellborn) and then are surprised by the increase in Major accidents.

And then instead of putting temporary traffic signals there (similar to what's being used by TXDot at Raymond Stotzer and 2818) you close the intersection forcing ALL Holleman traffic to Rock Prairie road, or to make a right down Wellborn and then U-Turn at Deacon to head North.

This is something someone should be fired over.
AggiePhil
AG
prymetyme07 said:

Just out of curiosity, where all else have you lived?
ShaggySLC
prymetyme07 said:

You close a major thoroughfare (Holleman South), forcing people to already one of the most dangerous intersections in the city (Cain/Wellborn) and then are surprised by the increase in Major accidents.

And then instead of putting temporary traffic signals there (similar to what's being used by TXDot at Raymond Stotzer and 2818) you close the intersection forcing ALL Holleman traffic to Rock Prairie road, or to make a right down Wellborn and then U-Turn at Deacon to head North.

This is something someone should be fired over.
Then you have a garbage pick up right in the middle of all of it. Those decisions no doubt caused the garbage truck driver to get mowed down.
Oogway
I'm not sure what your meaning is here with respect to the sanitation employee's terrible injury. I agree with prymetyme that perhaps a temporary light may have been a useful installation. It would've been a PITA for north/south travel because of three lights within a half mile of each other: 2818, Jones Crossing, Cain/Navarro but sometimes safety trumps convenience. With respect to the garbage pickup, that is on the driver who hit the City employee. Drivers are responsible for being aware of other vehicles and this particular driver was not. The taxpayer who pays for that sanitation service was in that location prior to the increase of traffic, so will the City perhaps find an alternative way to pick up garbage from that home? Perhaps going forward they will, since, again, safety is important. But there are many reasons for stopped vehicles on busy roads, and drivers need to be aware and use caution.

So, sorry if I misconstrued what you meant. It is a really rough stretch of road there with respect to busyness, speed, and impatience and until it is resolved will probably take effort on all drivers to be careful.
ShaggySLC
Oogway said:

I'm not sure what your meaning is here with respect to the sanitation employee's terrible injury. I agree with prymetyme that perhaps a temporary light may have been a useful installation. It would've been a PITA for north/south travel because of three lights within a half mile of each other: 2818, Jones Crossing, Cain/Navarro but sometimes safety trumps convenience. With respect to the garbage pickup, that is on the driver who hit the City employee. Drivers are responsible for being aware of other vehicles and this particular driver was not. The taxpayer who pays for that sanitation service was in that location prior to the increase of traffic, so will the City perhaps find an alternative way to pick up garbage from that home? Perhaps going forward they will, since, again, safety is important. But there are many reasons for stopped vehicles on busy roads, and drivers need to be aware and use caution.

So, sorry if I misconstrued what you meant. It is a really rough stretch of road there with respect to busyness, speed, and impatience and until it is resolved will probably take effort on all drivers to be careful.
I just meant you have all that going on in that one area then have to have a trash pick up on Wellborn. That puts the sanitation worker in a terrible position IMO. My understanding of the wreck was someone turned left off cain and was struck by a car going north on wellborn and that car hit the garbage truck with the worker behind it. That house has been there forever so I understand they need their trash picked up but that wreck seemed predictable given all that was happening over there. Just thought it was avoidable situation with better planning in place. It had long been dangerous there before that happened.
Oogway
Agree completely; I really do wish the P&Z had created the area immediately west of the RR (from Rock Prairie to Cain, essentially where the Barracks is) zoned as commercial instead of multifamily. It gave the light industrial companies a place that was ideally situated between south CStat, campus and Bryan.
979ag
AG
I think the easiest fix would be to extend Old Wellborn road down to the Balcones stoplight where the new HEB is. I'm not a city planner but that seems a lot more logical than adding another light on Wellborn.
UmustBKidding
Old wellborn does not extend that far so they would Have to acquire the property and up is not going to add an additional crossing. It will move to Deacon and Cain will close
Expert Analysis
AG
Belton Ag said:

Extremely well thought out move by the city to do this while Holleman South is closed between Deacon and S Dowling. Bravo COCS.
You would hope they fix the intersection at Holleman and Wellborn before they start the 2818 project, but chances are they do the two at the same time so that traffic can be impacted as much as possible...

There is no reason the intersection at Wellborn and Rock Prairie was not upgraded before the Holleman South closures. The closure of Cain and light at Deacon has been in the works for years as well.
momtaxi
Just a question. Isn't there anything any one can do to hurry this up? Maybe lawsuits or talk to the district congressman? Traffic is a nightmare now and it going to cause a major accident at rock prairie and the tracks now
Stupe
S
kevmiller said:

I get the need to eliminate left turns onto Wellborn from Cain... but this is going to force even more vehicles to the cluster that already is at wellborn/ Rock Prairie

And doing U-turns in both directions since there is no way to turn left to head towards Wellborn on the south side of Rock Prairie.
ukbb2003
I've noticed an influx of U-turns at Deacon now...thanks.
AggieBaseball06
AG
phatpat21 said:

I get that it sucks to close that intersection down but man it was WAY to dangerous

This will be much needed but I feel like it is still a long way off. Until then.... good luck.
Stupe
S
phatpat21 said:

And the people south of Rock Prairie that are zoned for Consol along with the people north of Rock Prairie that are zoned for CSHS just had more time added to their commutes.
woodiewood1
phatpat21 said:

They sure need to hurry it up with a light at Deacon. This afternoon there were five southbound cars making upturns at Deacon to go back north on wellborn in the middle of heavy traffic. Lots of wrecks going to occur there.
doubledog
woodiewood1 said:

phatpat21 said:

They sure need to hurry it up with a light at Deacon. This afternoon there were five southbound cars making upturns at Deacon to go back north on wellborn in the middle of heavy traffic. Lots of wrecks going to occur there.
I agree a U-turner almost hit my car at that intersection. Someone turning right on to Welborn from Deacon has no way of knowing if the driver in the left-turn lane on Welborn will actually make a left turn on to Deacon, or will U-turn across two lanes of traffic to head north. Worlds will collide.

The best option is to close the left-turn (U-turn) lane on Welborn and Deacon until they can put up (yet another) traffic light there.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Some of these traffic issues, especially in South CS, reminds me of a school construction issue we had back home in the late 90's into the 2000's

Wake up one September and at the middle school they are like 28 teachers and classrooms short. Admin acts completely puzzled that after building a new elementary school every 2-3 yrs for a decade that those kids are now middle school aged. I guess they expected them to stay 7-12 yrs old forever.

Amateurs hired by cousins and amigos.

One thing I think they need to do is to extend WM Fitch towards the river and then loop around the airport to connect with 47

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.