Good dog needs a home

2,497 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by momlaw
tbone94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last week, I found a dog that was living out off the Hwy 30 area around BIrd Pond Road. When I stopped my truck, he came up to me and you could tell he was a good dog. I couldn't let him go or call the dog catcher, so I took him back to my office. He was really hungry and thirsty, full of fleas, a few cuts, and very underweight. We couldn't help but recognize that this was a very friendly, people loving, good natured dog that was grateful to get some help and attention. We named him Jack. We took him to the vet, had him checked out, got his vaccinations, ran tests to see if he had heartworms or anything else going on. Jack didn't have heartworms, and surprisingly had a clean bill of health. We bathed him a few times since then, and he's been staying with me. Based on his condition my guess is that he had been on his own for 2 weeks at a minimum, perhaps much longer. Despite his situation he was very happy and trusting.

He's a black lab mix, about 1 yr old, 35 lbs, and has a great calm and loving temperament. He looks just like a smaller lab. He seems potty trained, but had 1 accident in the house on the first night where he went #1 very briefly. It was only due the fact that our Jack Russell has gone #1 in that room. Everyone who meets him comments about how good of a dog he is.

So, I'm looking for a permanent home for Jack. I didn't think my wife would go for it because of our Jack Russell Terrier, but she loves Jack and she wants to keep him. But the problem is this dang Jack Russell. She is super territorial and aggressive with him. It's definitely a problem.

I know there are a few great private rescues in town, but we want him to have a family and a home. He is really good with other dogs and kids. If you know of anyone that is interested in meeting this sweet boy, please just PM me or let me know how I could reach you, or share my fb post. Here is my facebook post.

Thanks and gig em!
momlaw
AG
Thanks, Tim.
Suggest you check out potential homes, references especially from land lords to assure they can have a dog and veterinarians the family has used in the past.
Appreciate your taking the pup in and working to find suitable home.
Lucky dog.
momlaw
Broncos
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for helping Jack out. Just want to make sure you have posted him on the Brazos Loat & Found Pets FB page in case someone is looking for him.

This is why I wish every dog got a chip with their first set of shots as a puppy.
ratfacemcdougal
Brother lost a dog once in suburban Houston....she was found on his birthday 5 miles from home. No chip way back then, but a collar with name and number. Once a dog is out and has his nose to the ground, they can travel far.
DrAeroAg05
AG
Still looking for a home for Jack?

Also, your Facebook link isn't' working.
tbone94
AG
Thanks everyone for the help with Jack. We have found him a great home with a great family that already loves him as one of the family. I wish I could post pics of Jack and his happy family.
Stupe
S
Good for you.
Tailgate88
AG
tbone94 said:

Thanks everyone for the help with Jack. We have found him a great home with a great family that already loves him as one of the family. I wish I could post pics of Jack and his happy family.
Thanks for doing this. Often people are unwilling or unable to put in the time and effort you did to find him a home. Sadly, dropping them at the shelter does not always have the outcome we would hope.

And I will use this opportunity as I always do on lost dog threads - PLEASE CHIP YOUR PETS!!! Seriously - when you go in for the first round of shots just have them chip them. It's cheap, easy and could save their life.
momlaw
AG
Chip and R E G I S T E R and keep updated.
The number of dogs and cats found with unregistered or out of date info chips is heart breaking.
momlaw
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.