Place to launch model rockets in B/CS?

5,349 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Goose83
AgFan247
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son got his first rocket through cub scouts and they are going to launch at the Museum of the American GI later next month, but he is very excited to launch a rocket and I thought we would just build another and do so, but I'm racking my brain to think of good places to launch them in College Station. Anyone have ideas on places we could launch small/medium model rockets?

TIA
Oogway
Probably not Easterwood.

Kidding aside, will it harm the grass much? If not, then maybe one of the larger parks? Anderson? If so, maybe that big gravel parking lot that is used for football games (north of the Bush library on campus). They might not mind if it is not during a peak time.

Edit, clarity
91_Aggie
AG
Model rockets won't burn the grass (assuming you use the metal deflector plate on your launch pad), but you need a big area since they float down on parachutes, so they could float quite a ways depending on wind intensity and if you actually had them pointed directly upwards.

I'm not sure how Millican Reserve works (if you can just go in like a park or if it is private property, but they have a huge area that is devoid of trees that could work).

Veteran's park if it is empty of games. Usually best time to shoot rockets is very early in the morning when there is no wind.

I am not 100% sure of College Station's ordinances on model rockets in their parks or city, though.

I know some people shot some in Shenandoah in the main park, but they probably used A or B engines that didn't go very high.
UmustBKidding
We launched them from my yard before being overrun by COCS. The GI museum is a pretty small space but Estes says only 200ft required for A &B engines. That would easily be covered by Bachman or Central park. The old Bryan golf course is way beyond that. On off hours some place like central baptist parking lot might work. The Bryan R/C club has a flying field also might be a possible site.
Probably have some left over rocket/launch parts. Username at
conspiracy
Net

BQ_90
AG
Go down to the brazos bottom
trouble
AG
We used to use the soccer fields in North Bryan.
dubi
AG
We launched them on the field next to pebble creek elementary.
taxpreparer
AG
I used to launch them in the big field at the corner of Texas and University or the South Knoll playground. But that was the early seventies and model rocket engines are classified as fireworks so probably not legal to launch inside city limits.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Sinuso
AG
Used to see lots of them in the Consol parking lot/ practice fields when I lived on Arboles. I think there was a club that met there on Sunday mornings....
stinkerbelle
I have seen people launch rockets at Veterans Park. They are always in the first parking lot to the left when you turn into the park from University, although turning in from University is closed right now.
Agmaker
Good info. Have also been wondering where to launch. Thanks
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
We've done ours in the field between Creekview and Cypress Grove. Veterans is good too if there's nothing else going on.
rsa
AG
We took our Weblos den to the fields by Consol in the past. Worked out pretty well.
techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

Model rockets won't burn the grass (assuming you use the metal deflector plate on your launch pad), but you need a big area since they float down on parachutes, so they could float quite a ways depending on wind intensity and if you actually had them pointed directly upwards.

It's been a while for me, but I seem to recall some "strip chutes" that we're basically long pieces of cloth that allowed the rockets to come relatively straight down, floating away less than a regular chute. If still available, might be something to consider if firing off near houses.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
frito bandito
Streamers are long strips of materials designed to bring rockets down more or less on the same trajectory they went up.

Model rocket engines are not considered fireworks.

Here is the National Association of Rocketry's webpage about rockets and safety:

NAR rules
Oogway
Some of those gates at Consol have locks (the last time I was by the practice fields) so you might want to double check. The high schools have had to become more security and vandal conscious.
Stupe
S
taxpreparer said:

I used to launch them in the big field at the corner of Texas and University or the South Knoll playground. But that was the early seventies and model rocket engines are classified as fireworks so probably not legal to launch inside city limits.
I used to hunt dove where CSHS is, but I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon now.
Oogway
I'm pretty sure the doves have been replaced by grackles now so if a rocket took a few of those out I wouldn't say a word.
skeetboy3
AG
I use Pebble Creek park when taking my son. C level engines will go too high there though. Sandstone park had been good to me as well. Also, cut a hole in the top of the chute and it will drift less. Anderson Park, Veterans Park and South Knoll would all be good ones, though South Knoll and Anderson would be limited to A/B engines.
AgFan247
AG
Thanks to all for the input. I was wondering about sandstone as well. I have already put holes in the chute to decrease drift so hopefully that will work. I will def try veterans park if/when we get into the bigger rockets.
AggiePhil
AG
Which engines could you use on the polo fields?
taxpreparer
AG
In the 70s it was class c. I lost my best rocket in the suoer structure of the original Zachery build.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
farmrag
BQ_90 said:

Go down to the brazos bottom
No!!!
skeetboy3
AG
I would be afraid of hitting traffic on Texas or University.
Goose83
AG
Back in the 70's and 80's we mostly launched them on the Polo Field. There was plenty of room, even for the D powered rockets of the day. We used to shoot them at A&M Consolidated as well, but unfortunately that's not possible anymore since they paved everything over.

Anyone know if the still have the weekend meets up at the Hearne Airport? I went to one back in the 90's, and it pretty cool, but I got sidetracked by life and never got back up there for another one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.