Moving to CS...

2,688 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by summergal
tfunk02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since I work remote we decided to move into our family's farm house in College Station.
We are late 30's with no kiddos and have been big city people most of our lives. What should we do to meet people and get socializing?

We will be out past the airport near the Brazos River.

Side question... How do I find trash collection if CS will not do it? Do I use bvtrashvalet?

Thanks for any tips!
Rearview
AG
For residential trash there is also http://texascommercialwaste.com/bags.shtml

Living there, do you have home Internet lined up, assuming you need it for work? Living outside the city limits, Internet can be difficult. There are some wireless providers that cover different areas (CEO, Rise, Brazos WiFi).

Welcome to the area!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Not sure if community involvement is your thing, but if so Leadership Brazos Valley may be of interest. It is through the chamber. I have a friend that did it and spoke very highly of it and the contacts and friendships that she made.
tfunk02
AG
I had 3 fixed wireless companies out there. The only one that was able to get a signal that worked decently without a huge tower was Rise. We are only getting 6mbps down / 1.5mbps up even though you can see the tower less than 2 miles away. They said there's a lot of interference in the signal that can be from communications devices used by O&G operations, and there are a lot of those on the property down between us and the tower. Anyway, it's a little different than the 1000up/1000down I was getting, but it should be good enough when paired with satellite TV. I'm still searching and looking for better. I'd like to be able to live stream my cameras and just have YouTubeTV, but that will take at least 3x what I'm getting there now.

Captn_Ag05, I'll check it out. I haven't been active before, but I'm not opposed to it and have been interested in it.
RockofAges
tfunk02 said:

I had 3 fixed wireless companies out there. The only one that was able to get a signal that worked decently without a huge tower was Rise. We are only getting 6mbps down / 1.5mbps up even though you can see the tower less than 2 miles away. They said there's a lot of interference in the signal that can be from communications devices used by O&G operations, and there are a lot of those on the property down between us and the tower. Anyway, it's a little different than the 1000up/1000down I was getting, but it should be good enough when paired with satellite TV. I'm still searching and looking for better. I'd like to be able to live stream my cameras and just have YouTubeTV, but that will take at least 3x what I'm getting there now.

Captn_Ag05, I'll check it out. I haven't been active before, but I'm not opposed to it and have been interested in it.
tfunk02 did you try VxV Communications or Brazos WiFi ?

We have VxV Communications cause that's who could service us at an affordable price.
techno-ag
AG
Join the Brazos County A&M Club for socials.

There are competing rural trash services. Brazos Area Garbage Service (BAGS) is one. Dillo Disposal in Somerville is another.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
tfunk02
AG
VxV Communications never emailed me back. I'll try again. How fast can they go?

I'll definitely do some of the A&M Club socials! Thanks for reminding me of that.
agnerd
AG
Social opportunities in college station revolve around the schools, churches, or northgate. With no kids and over 30, make sure to join a big church.
Post removed:
by user
K2T2
If you're not a churchy Joe, downtown Bryan is a great place to meet people. I'm over 30 with no kids, and I'm down there most weekends, either playing shows or seeing shows or getting food/drinks or grumbling that I'm playing a show on stupid First Friday. You can meet all sorts of people down there, not just college-aged and college-associated, and do lots of different things (including reminding people that the alley behind Rev is in fact a toilet, not a photo op).
aviationag
AG
The College Station Noon Lion's Club meets at the Hilton on Mondays. Great people who give back to the community and will also help you get engaged in other activities in the area.

Send me a message and I'll connect you with someone who knows the community backwards and forwards.

Also, become a 'regular' at The Republic!

Welcome to Aggieland!
summergal
Go to church at A&M United Methodist Church's Contemporary service at 9:45. Lots of people your age in this service.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.