Wellborn Closed Northbound at Balcones due to Accident 12:30 pm 9/20/18

3,581 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Geop84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beware traveling northbound on Wellborn past Rock Prairie. Car is upside down in the road and they have Wellborn closed. Accident investigation appears to be on the scene.
toolshed
AG
I pray the city employee is ok, though likely has major damage to his legs based on the accident pics on KBTX.

Side note: I've wondered why COCS still uses this style trash truck that requires the driver to get out and manually attach and dump the cans vs the other style where the driver stays inside the cab. I'm sure there's a reason, but it seems like a much more labor intensive method to me.
91_Aggie
AG
toolshed said:

Side note: I've wondered why COCS still uses this style trash truck that requires the driver to get out and manually attach and dump the cans vs the other style where the driver stays inside the cab. I'm sure there's a reason, but it seems like a much more labor intensive method to me.

I would wonder why a trash pick-up route would require stopping on Wellborn to pick up trash. That seems like the bad design here.

Scruffy
AG
91_Aggie said:

toolshed said:

I would wonder why a trash pick-up route would require stopping on Wellborn to pick up trash. That seems like the bad design here.

if you look on Google maps, there is a house right there.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@30.5799993,-96.3205363,118m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1
91_Aggie
AG
Scruffy said:

91_Aggie said:

toolshed said:

if you look on Google maps, there is a house right there.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@30.5799993,-96.3205363,118m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1
Right, but it seems like a bad idea to make a complete stop in traffic lane on Wellborn to pick up the trash with it being 3 lanes wide and a major thruway now.

Morpholino
AG
Wellborn still closed at 3:51PM. Detour on Navarro. Major traffic FYI.
Scruffy
AG
I agree, but that house was there before they expanded the road.
Maybe the planners should have created a drive-through lane there for the trash pick-up? If they were to do that, where would it go?
That house/property was there from back when wellborn was a "2" lane road. I don't even remember where it became dirt.
91_Aggie
AG
Scruffy said:

I agree, but that house was there before they expanded the road.
Maybe the planners should have created a drive-through lane there for the trash pick-up? If they were to do that, where would it go?
That house/property was there from back when wellborn was a "2" lane road. I don't even remember where it became dirt.
Yeah, but at some point you got to put safety above "that's how we always did it"!
Tailgate88
AG
I went through there at 1:15 and was diverted into SW Valley with everyone else. It took 30 minutes to get to Welch. I just turned and headed south. T&P to the trash truck driver.
AgsWin2011
AG
I was on my way back to work at 12:10 when I saw the road was closed ahead. Luckily I was able to cut through Fraternity Row and went all the way down to Rio Grande to get on 2818 west bound. Can't believe all the suckers waited in that line at Welsh.
OnlyANobody
Whether there should be a stop right there or not could be debated either way. But those trucks are really big, have several lights and are simply hard to miss. Drivers just seem too busy with things other than paying attention to what is happening around them.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Tow trucks loading the vehicles now.
Aggie1205
AG
They didn't clear until almost 7?
AgGunNut
AG
There are several comments about it that have apparently been removed by mods, but it was closed for so long for a comeplete reconstruction to be done given severity of injury and (likely) due to a government vehicle being involved.
agnerd
AG
91_Aggie said:

toolshed said:

That's what happens when you annex properties in the country so you can collect more tax revenue, but don't bother to invest the money required to safely serve the property. City would be well within their rights to purchase part of that property and build a pullout for the city truck to pull into to collect trash. City could also have paid TxDOT to add a shoulder here when they were expanding Wellborn. Probably would've been a lot cheaper than this is going to end up being. Trash truck is now forced to stop on the road to pick up trash and endanger city workers and drivers. If this house was still outside city limits, they'd have private trash service that would be allowed to pull into their driveway. Not the first time the city has annexed property and then failed to provide safe access.
Stupe
S
This is the fault of the driver of the car that hit the SUV, not the city.

There is NO WAY that they were paying attention as hard as they hit that vehicle.
75AG
AG
I derailed the conversation last night. Sorry for that. Here's my question:

The wreck occurred at 1045 AM, and the road was cleared and opened after 7 PM. Does it normally take over 8 hours to do an accident reconstruction/investigation?

Having lived across the country, I've never seen a major thoroughfare closed for that long. Even in wrecks resulting in multiple fatalities.
Stupe
S
There are certain aspects that can draw out an accident investigation:
  • Fatality
  • Serious injury
  • Law Enforcement involved in the wreck
  • EMS / Fire involved in the wreck
  • Major injuries with alcohol involved
  • City vehicles
  • Reasonable belief that criminal charges could be filed.

That wreck had several of those factors.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
To quote your comment on The Eagle's site:

Quote:

If the city hadn't annexed that area to get their greedy hands on that tax money, they wouldn't have to be providing trash service to this house. Just something to think about...

That house has been in the city limits for quite a long time. That's pretty much the geographical center of College Station these days. Are you bemoaning the fact that anything south of 2818 is COCS?

Just trying to understand your point of view.
95_Aggie
AG
Why does someone in Houston care about what is in CS city limits?
cslifer
Where the accident happened has been in the city limits since at least the 80s, pretty sure you can't tie annexation to this. Also, nobody, cities included, can just "pay txdot" to add something. Txdot does what txdot does when it comes to their roads. They are the only ones who have any control over construction on those roads, heck even new businesses have to meet their regulations and get a permit for a driveway.
TLDR: it is fun to blame the city and txdot for stuff but this one is on the drivers.
MeKnowNot

91_Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

This is the fault of the driver of the car that hit the SUV, not the city.

There is NO WAY that they were paying attention as hard as they hit that vehicle.
You are thinking common sense and not like a lawyer.

You can probably bet everything that the city will be sued for "being negligent" for creating this this unsafe work condition.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.