Autonomous vehicles coming to Downtown Bryan

6,461 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KidDoc
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're here!

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Downtown-Bryan-introduces-first-ever-self-driving-trolleys-499174601.html
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
gopitt
Another move in the right direction for downtown Bryan.
Amazing the number of new restaurants and shops that have opened there over the past year.
Finally, a functional and thriving downtown in B/CS.
91_Aggie
AG
gopitt said:

Another move in the right direction for downtown Bryan.
Amazing the number of new restaurants and shops that have opened there over the past year.
Finally, a functional and thriving downtown in B/CS.

You already spouted this propaganda earlier in this thread.
gopitt
I did somewhat repeat myself. My error. I'll blame it on old age.
Please point out the propaganda.
A number of new restaurants and shops have not opened downtown in the past year or so and continue to do so???
Just stating the facts.
bobinator
AG
If you didn't click on the link, they're going to be out at First Friday this week.
doubledog

I like the idea, however I think it should be tested on the A&M campus. Students are the worst, jay walkers, bike riders, skate boarders and pedestrians. Driving thru campus can be a taxing experience for a sober, alert driver who can anticipate (i will live forever) students who do the stupidest things in traffic, on sidewalks, and places not designed (or allowed) for vehicles (motorcycles/scooters/bicycles on sidewalks and footpaths). If it works on the A&M campus, it can work in downtown Bryan (until someone vomits all over the dashboard).

bobinator
AG
They have done quite a bit of testing on the A&M campus. But there are a couple of things the cars have to deal with in downtown Bryan that make it a better test environment (or at least a different one) than campus. They also don't want to put them on any roads where people are travelling above about 20 MPH.

But downtown Bryan has the combination of foot traffic, car traffic, parking along the streets (so the cars have to deal with people backing out of spots), and the fact that you can't really go very fast through downtown anyway that make it a great spot.

Also, part of the whole thing is to expose new people to autonomous vehicles. Building public trust in the technology is a huge part of it, and students and folks on campus have seen the different autonomous vehicles going around for quite a while.
91_Aggie
AG
I can see some people looking to get injured by these. Good Daniel Stark personal injury lawyer jas that office right in downtown.
RG20
Neat, but way overkill for this town
mgreen
Autonomous cars crossing train tracks. What could possibly go wrong?
techno-ag
AG
Maybe that's why they've got two standby drivers for each vehicle, ready to prevent going past railroad arms and to provide an eyewitness for defending against litigation.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
techno-ag
AG
Take the trolley survey, tell CoB what you think.

http://wtaw.com/2018/11/30/city-of-bryan-wants-to-know-what-you-think-of-the-new-downtown-trolley/

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
KidDoc
AG
We were down there last week and didn't see them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.