Estate planning attorney recommendation?

4,613 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAG4EVR
TXAG4EVR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We recently moved here from out of state, so need to get TX documents. Wills, POA's, etc.

Our family situation is pretty basic. Married after graduation and are still married. The children are out of the home and self supporting.

Our wills are simply "I love you, honey" documents. We are thinking we need something a bit more elaborate.

Any recommendations?
ag009
AG
We use and recommend Middleton & Middleton.
studioone
wes hall
846-3444
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Middleton and Middleton are great
Jetty
AG
We recently had Jeff Harris do our Wills and POA great job reasonable price. The Ellis Law Firm.
carpe vinum
AG
Chris Peterson
meinkee
Read an interesting article in the NYT on Sunday regarding a concern called Freewill. A web site that helps you set up a will for free. The way they make their money is commissions from non profits that they encourage you to leave a part of your estate to. I briefly looked at the site but not closely enough
To opine on it. It might be worth a look
Tigermom84
AG
Middletons.
CEAg78
AG
Jetty said:

We recently had Jeff Harris do our Wills and POA great job reasonable price. The Ellis Law Firm.
Ellison Law
Jetty
AG
My Bad - Sorry!
TXAG4EVR
AG
Thank you for these suggestions
Abbyag06
Check into a Trust. My parents are working with someone now and a trust is apparently a better way to go vs. a will. Less headaches for your loved ones later on.
happyinBCS
A trust is the only way to go no probate
Cholula Verde
AG
happyinBCS said:

Are you sure.....in laws had a trust, MnL passed and it had to go thru Probate. Cost FnL a bundle because the firm milked the process for everything it was worth. After it was all probated, FnL, my spouse and spouse's only sibling said no more of that BS and decided to break the "trust". What ever you do, get legal help from an attorney that is both a CPA and a lawyer. BTW....several folks have already suggested the firm in BCS that meets the CPA/attorney criteria. FWIW!
happyinBCS
If the trust owned all the assets I don't see how your father in law had to go near the courthouse. When your mother in law passed it was now under his control when he passes it would be under whoever is the new named trustee. One of the most important parts of having a trust is when they are still alive and have lost their mental capacity it is seamless for the new trustee to take over and take care of all the finances and care necessary for their loved one, all done without any probate process.
hopeandrealchange
Mike Middleton came highly recommended many years ago. We have used him for several things over the past 15 years. Can't say enough good about him.
RockofAges
hopeandrealchange said:

Mike Middleton came highly recommended many years ago. We have used him for several things over the past 15 years. Can't say enough good about him.
+ 1 for Mike
Cholula Verde
AG
happyinBCS said:

If the trust owned all the assets I don't see how your father in law had to go near the courthouse. When your mother in law passed it was now under his control when he passes it would be under whoever is the new named trustee. One of the most important parts of having a trust is when they are still alive and have lost their mental capacity it is seamless for the new trustee to take over and take care of all the finances and care necessary for their loved one, all done without any probate process.
I am not an attorney.....we have learned all "trusts" are not created equally. Don't need a "trust" for loved ones to take care everything when we are mentally incapacitated + avoid probate. FYI.....Get an attorney who is both a CPA and an attorney. You will be glad you did! Also, Middleton's are awesome!
TXAG4EVR
AG
Thank you for sharing suggestions and insight gained from personal experience.
Keep 'em coming, please!!!
InMyOpinion
FlyingMudball said:

happyinBCS said:

Are you sure.....in laws had a trust, MnL passed and it had to go thru Probate. Cost FnL a bundle because the firm milked the process for everything it was worth. After it was all probated, FnL, my spouse and spouse's only sibling said no more of that BS and decided to break the "trust". What ever you do, get legal help from an attorney that is both a CPA and a lawyer. BTW....several folks have already suggested the firm in BCS that meets the CPA/attorney criteria. FWIW!

I would be curious what kind of trust?
Where the assets that went through probate in the trust?

Curious because I am going through the process with my in laws now to create a trust and transferring assets.

happyinBCS
A living trust. Also to respond to the above statement "we don't need a trust for loved ones to take care of everything when we are mentally incapacitated " Then you must know way more about your future than most. The beauty of a living trust is as it states it is living so if you are in a terrible accident in a coma etc or dementia has set in etc the appointed trustee is there and running everything without missing a beat. I am not here to sell anything only explain that a properly written living trust will keep you and your loved ones away from an unnecessary probate process and make life better for all involved.
Cholula Verde
AG
TexAgs....always good feedback on a plethora of topics! Good luck OP.
Aggieland Proud
AG
We have been thinking of updating our wills as well. I see the trusts that are available through the TAMU Foundation where you basically leave your estate to A&M. Is this the same or equivalent to the living trust being mentioned on this thread? Not really sure what is meant by living trust. Lots of homework to do!
Cholula Verde
AG
Farmer Ag said:

We have been thinking of updating our wills as well. I see the trusts that are available through the TAMU Foundation where you basically leave your estate to A&M. Is this the same or equivalent to the living trust being mentioned on this thread? Not really sure what is meant by living trust. Lots of homework to do!
TAMU is also in our estate plan! A word to the wise, please make sure you include specific guidelines for how you want those gifts used (I.e. specific programs, scholarships, etc., etc.). If you don't include guidelines, FYI, you may not rest well in your afterlife destination!
GIGI90
Joe Patranella @ Banks, Banks & Patranella
RanchAg
AG
Second this. You can document now in your will and with Foundation on how you want your gift to be used in the future. Not a big deal if it changes, but gave us peace of mind knowing we were able to decide how our gift would be used after passing.
96aggies
Jeff Harris at the Ellison Law Firm is board certified in Estate and Probate Law so he can do easy to very complicated and can set up just about anything. They also have a board certified tax attorney in the office that can inform you of all the tax implications. Good Luck!
TXAG4EVR
AG
I appreciate the continued input!
happyinBCS
Have you made a decision ?
TXAG4EVR
AG
I have not. Narrowed the options to 3 firms.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.