Tell me about Rise Broadband

8,321 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saltydog13
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One house we are looking at has that for the only option
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
Check out your phone signal. Chances are Verizon has the better reception. Get their unlimited plan on a tablet, use the 15 gigs hotspot option if you need to use a laptop. Watch videos on the tablet, check email on the laptop.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
GSS
Rise "had" been reliable for our 10M plan, but oversold our tower, resulting in an extreme slowdown every evening. Outages have been rare. We have been given about a 30% discount while they resolve the issue.
saltydog13
AG
Had it for 2 years and so so about it. Data caps and the highest speed of 25mb. That att deal looks interesting
DrAeroAg05
AG
saltydog13 said:

Had it for 2 years and so so about it. Data caps and the highest speed of 25mb. That att deal looks interesting

Same experience here. It's decent service and the reliability seems to have improved over the last year. Sometimes the speeds are slow due to the oversold tower, but generally it's sufficient for Netflix and Texags.
BrazosWifi
We regularly have customers switch over to Brazos WiFi from rise due to oversoldtowers and the data caps.

If we our signal can reach you, I can guarantee a better service without data caps.

We are closed for the weekend but I would be happy to visit with you on Monday.

Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
RockofAges
Depends on where you live? But i would check out both options below.
Brazos wifi and check out VxV Communications, we just had them installed at our house and it's been super fast. sales@vxvcommunications.com

tbone94
LOYAL AG
AG
Rise comes up often enough that I should just put my reply in One Note for easy coy and paste.

Quite literally the worst company I've ever done business with. I've resolved issues with the IRS faster. That's not a joke. True story:

Me: Hi, I'm down.
Them: It'll be three weeks to get a tech there.
Me: I work from home and must have the internet. That's not good enough.
Them: Sorry.
Me: Tell your guy to come in three weeks and collect your ***** I'll have replaced you by then.

I went to Texas Broadband which was very slow but at least reliable. Eventually we got CEO to build a tower in the neighborhood and it's been good.
tbone94
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Rise comes up often enough that I should just put my reply in One Note for easy coy and paste.

Quite literally the worst company I've ever done business with. I've resolved issues with the IRS faster. That's not a joke. True story:

Me: Hi, I'm down.
Them: It'll be three weeks to get a tech there.
Me: I work from home and must have the internet. That's not good enough.
Them: Sorry.
Me: Tell your guy to come in three weeks and collect your ***** I'll have replaced you by then.

I went to Texas Broadband which was very slow but at least reliable. Eventually we got CEO to build a tower in the neighborhood and it's been good.
Same. We were down several times for excess of a day. In a couple occasions, we were down for multiple days.

Had a billing problem where we went on autopay and they didn't tell me it would take 60 days for autopay to kick in and i got a disconnection notice. I called immediately to pay he bill to avoid disconnection and they told me they would process the card on file. The following Monday the service was disconnected.

Their employees are in a call center inn colorado and they are definitely lazy and don't provide good service over the phones.

We're a business that heavily relies on our internet and our phones are voip so we're screwed when we're down. I had so many issues we went to Brazos Wifi. They have been excellent.
Vivificus
AG
I have Rise broadband and have for a little a year. I have not had issues with outages, but I'm also not blown away with the speed. I can generally stream 4K on a TV without issues, but once you get multiple devices going it can be pretty slow.

I would like to have tried Brazos WiFi, but due to my house location (tabor) I would have had to install a 50' tower, and I was not interested in doing that for $2,000.
Viv
stinkerbelle
Had Rise for a few months about a year or so ago, never, ever, ever again. I will do without internet before I sign up with them again. We were down more than we were up and they refused to compensate us for any of the downtime. We were basically told, that's just how it is. I work a lot at home and it was literally impossible to do. I was having to go sit at McD's or somewhere with free WiFi, which was ridiculous since I was paying for internet at home, they just couldn't figure out what to do to keep us up and running. I also had a neighbor with close to the same issues.
techno-ag
AG
Vivificus said:

I have Rise broadband and have for a little a year. I have not had issues with outages, but I'm also not blown away with the speed. I can generally stream 4K on a TV without issues, but once you get multiple devices going it can be pretty slow.

I would like to have tried Brazos WiFi, but due to my house location (tabor) I would have had to install a 50' tower, and I was not interested in doing that for $2,000.
So did Rise have a closer antenna to that did not require a 50 foot tower or did they put a tall pole or something?
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Vivificus
AG
I think Rise had line of sight with my rooftop. Brazos WiFi would need the 50' tower to get line of sight
Viv
UmustBKidding
Wickson wireless had reasonable coverage in that area. They put an antenna on a friend's tower when they were expanding east. But then Steve sold To skybeam and the quality leaked out quickly. Have friends that host wifi providers in that area for tx broadband, Brazos WiFi and rise. Another friend further east building his second tower might help cover towards Tabor. Not sure is he has talked to Jim about his site.
BrazosWifi
UmustBKidding said:

Wickson wireless had reasonable coverage in that area. They put an antenna on a friend's tower when they were expanding east. But then Steve sold To skybeam and the quality leaked out quickly. Have friends that host wifi providers in that area for tx broadband, Brazos WiFi and rise. Another friend further east building his second tower might help cover towards Tabor. Not sure is he has talked to Jim about his site.
I'm always looking to fill in the gaps with repeater towers. They may only pick up 4 or 5 customers but it if it helps someone avoid satellite or some other terrible internet, I am willing to add the relay.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
toocool
To: Brazos WiFi, not familiar with your product but have heard great things. I don't understand how all this internet works but are you working off cell towers like Verizon ATT or how does your company not get over loaded in areas.
BrazosWifi
toocool said:

To: Brazos WiFi, not familiar with your product but have heard great things. I don't understand how all this internet works but are you working off cell towers like Verizon ATT or how does your company not get over loaded in areas.

We own/lease our own infrastructure so we have a lot of flexibility in meeting demand.
I'm not going to say that we are without problems but we work diligently to solve them when they do arise.
saltydog13
AG
Figured I'd bump this thread after the crappy service we've had this week with Rise. Went out for 14 hours on Tuesday and is now going on ~6 hours out since last night. Anyone else in the area experiencing outages? I know they sent out an email back in october about "network improvements," but it seems to have gotten worse since then in regards to both speed and outages. I would even take suddenlink over rise at this point.
JP76
I've seen some issues this week in the forest lakes area of college station.
GSS
Our area (Snook) has been down since last night. After a 2-day outage in early Nov, service came back at better speeds than ever seen (15-23M). Just needs to be reliable...
BrazosWifi
We've been picking up quite a few Rise refugees this week.

I can't imagine our customers having multiple day-long outages. They would crucify us.
saltydog13
AG
I called and apparently they're replacing a receiver on the snook tower and don't have an ETA on completion. I agree on the better speeds (30/50 down and 15/20 up), but there's also been more times that just 2 cell phones can't browse at the same time.
BrazosWifi
saltydog13 said:

I called and apparently they're replacing a receiver on the snook tower and don't have an ETA on completion. I agree on the better speeds (30/50 down and 15/20 up), but there's also been more times that just 2 cell phones can't browse at the same time.
I suspect they're feeding you a line of BS. There are people all over this area out. We have been getting calls from Navasota, Snook, Hearne, and Bryan.

I'm not saying they can't be working on something in Snook but is seems there is something larger at play.
saltydog13
AG
Oh no doubt. I was just relaying what line of BS they fed me. There's people (housley communications?) laying fiber out here so I don't know what that's about either
EBrazosAg
AG
saltydog13 said:

Oh no doubt. I was just relaying what line of BS they fed me. There's people (housley communications?) laying fiber out here so I don't know what that's about either
Housley Comm laid fiber under and over my driveway 2 years ago and I still have no way to get fiber internet......so don't hold your breath..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
saltydog13
AG
Definitely not holding my breath, but they're developing a neighborhood out here in snook so I wasn't sure if it's a possibility at some point.
Tex Aggie
AG
Wish Brazos WiFi could get on the wixon valley water tower
BrazosWifi
Tex Aggie said:

Wish Brazos WiFi could get on the wixon valley water tower

I wish so too. We are on some of the other water towers in the area but Rise has those 2 under exclusive lease.
saltydog13
AG
Any plans to get out towards Snook?
RiverDog
BrazosWifi
We have a new tower going up in Cooks Point very soon. It's not Snook but we are getting closer.
saltydog13
AG
Works for me.
AgTrip
I called rise and asked what my service package included. We get 15mb downloads and 3 mb uploading for $119/month unlimited data no cap. I said thanks...now i can shop around and compare since this is 3rd day in row with no service at work.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.