Registering a cell phone with 911 - possibly a dumb question

1,952 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CSTXPolice
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have a land line. Does anyone know how I can have my home address associated with my cell number? If I have a medical issue and all I can do is dial 911, I'd like for EMS to know where I'm at. Or is this something they can easily look up at dispatch?
AgFan1999
AG
Hope this is helpful!
ratfacemcdougal
thanks
UmustBKidding
What this means is if you ever think you will need 911 get a phone line. And a phone is frontier, not Suddenlink Vonage or any other VoIP service
BrazosWifi
VoIP providers (Like Us) have the ability to attach your physical address to your phone number for 911.
It is an extra step but it is standard on what we do.

Now, it is IMPORTANT to know that VoIP services require the internet to function. If your internet is spotty, 911 + VoIP may be not be your best option.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
AgFan1999
AG
Most counties will allow you to register a phone number for emergency text purposes - might be able to tie that to a physical address?
UmustBKidding
It also matters how it's registered. Basically the psap (911 center) looks up the location for the ani (phone number in that aniali database maintained by the local exchange carrier, locally frontier. If the number is ported or not in their pool of numbers it has to look it up in the clec database where the number is hosted. So via ss7 it Does a tcap query to find out who is in control of the number (npac) and then another to the lidb of that carrier to get the Ali information. So it can get looked up in a database (scp) that is local (or well connected), or to some clec database who's has no regulation or connectivity security regulation like the incumbent phone companies do.
Works most of the time, what constitutes most. So most states have hold real phone companies to 5 nines of reliability. So functionality less than 99.999% of the time has penalties. In reality that is still broken 6 minutes a year. Have you ever used anything on there internet that is down less 6 minutes a day? So if you absolutely need it to work, real phone from the incumbent provider.
Average Joe
AG
BrazosWifi said:

VoIP providers (Like Us) have the ability to attach your physical address to your phone number for 911.

Now, it is IMPORTANT to know that VoIP services require the internet to function. If your internet is spotty, 911 + VoIP may be not be your best option.

It was my understanding that it is not just an ability but a requirement by the FCC to have the physical address attached for 911 services.
ro828
Are you basing this on the idea that you will be at your home address when a medical emergency arises? Remember, what you carry is a mobile phone. You may be far away from home at a moment of crisis. Hopefully the Emergency Services people can locate you by triangulation. It works on Law and Order; I have no idea how well it works in real life.
Average Joe
AG
ro828 said:

Are you basing this on the idea that you will be at your home address when a medical emergency arises? Remember, what you carry is a mobile phone. You may be far away from home at a moment of crisis. Hopefully the Emergency Services people can locate you by triangulation. It works on Law and Order; I have no idea how well it works in real life.

Cell phones are supposed to direct to the current location. Through e911 they can be directed to the home, even if you are somewhere else. Voip is always set up for your physical address.
AggieBarstool
I know in the case of AT&T, you can update the address associated with your phone number to ensure 911 operators have the most correct address should you ever have to call them.
marrocco
Based on my last two tours of their facility, the 911 service for Brazos County and Bryan gets data from cell phone calls that can place the call to 10ish feet of the caller's location. I assume College Station has similar capabilities.
UmustBKidding
Different carriers use different technologies. The legacy gsm carriers (att TMobile) use utdoa and legacy cdma carriers (Sprint Verizon) us agps. But while it at times can get lucky at 10 meters it typically is 50 ( in know we use feet here) but in dense vegetation or even a crowd you are not ensured to be located. And imparements like multipath degrade utdoa and lack of clear sky's hurt agps. So all the 911 centers get fed the location data from carriers but it's flawless by any means. When it's ten feet it's good but under degraded condition they may only get a cell id or worse a lac.
BrazosWifi
Average Joe said:

BrazosWifi said:

It was my understanding that it is not just an ability but a requirement by the FCC to have the physical address attached for 911 services.

VoIP services can be purchased without 911 registration. We register all of ours because I would be terribly upset if a customer of ours could not reach the proper authorities in an emergency.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
CSTXPolice
AG
Our Dispatch is able to get location data from cell phones, but accuracy varies and can usually not be relied upon as the sole link to a specific address. It can be useful when we have a prior report linking your cell phone and your address. If you live in College Station and you'd like to ensure we have a prior record linking your phone number to your address, please email your full name, email address, and phone number to tlopez@cstx.gov so that I can assist.

To register your cell phone for emergency notifications (or "reverse 9-1-1" service), please use the form found here: https://public.coderedweb.com/CNE/en-US/BF69A85CC20E

Regards,
Ofc. Tristen Lopez, #799
Social Media Officer
College Station Police Department
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.