Calvert - Traffic Ticket Attorney

10,940 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
flyingaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for a traffic lawyer that will work with the Calvert Municipal Court?

Didn't see the speed limit change and by the time I realized it was too late.
75AG
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

Any recommendations for a traffic lawyer that will work with the Calvert Municipal Court?

Didn't see the speed limit change and by the time I realized it was too late.
That's your defense? I didn't see the sign? Not sure any attorney can win with that one.
flyingaggie12
AG
Just fighting the alleged speed not that I wasn't speeding.
75AG
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

Gotcha. Good luck!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

You're not going to win the case with "I was speeding, just not as fast as you say I was speeding".

Calvert has the shortest deferred disposition of any ticket I've ever gotten. If you're eligible for either deferred or defensive diving, those routes are much cheaper to get a ticket off your record.

If you fight the ticket, you're going to pay a lot more than $125, and you're likely to lose, so it's going on your record.
AggieBarstool
Own up and pay the ticket.
InMyOpinion
flyingaggie12 said:

Keep us updated on the outcome LOL!!
toolshed
AG
Obligatory "username checks out!".
Bucketrunner
Nasty little town. Known speed trap. And I've never gotten a ticket there.
Sinuso
AG
Have to second what Esteban said.

It's a known *Imfamous* speed trap.

For that reason they have a very efficient, fast system to take your money and wish you "good day". I had to call the court to get deferred adjudication worked out ~20 years ago and left a message. The Judge, himself (not a clerk) called me back about 10 minutes later and we worked it all out.

Cholula Verde
AG
Hearne and Reisel too!!
SCHTICK00
AG
Rosebud Lott
TJJackson
I just don't speed on 6 between Bryan and Waco. That 90 mile stretch is a speed trap between the small towns and troopers.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
techno-ag
AG
Looking forward to the day (although prolly not in my lifetime), when they build a bypass around Hearne & Calvert and we can sail past those towns at 70 mph.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Who doesn't know to slow down in Calvert?
gigem70
AG
Was this you first time to ever drive through Calvert?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FlyingMudball said:

Hearne and Reisel too!!

Watch out on the northbound side of town. That cop likes to sit right over the hill after the 45mph sign.

You can do 100 southbound with no problem.
91_Aggie
AG
The judge:
"Have you ever heard of Calvert before?"
Defendant: "Yes"
Judge: "Guilty, dumbass"

Seriously, if you drive 6 to waco, you just need to accept you'll need to slow down slightly before and after Calvert and same with Riesel.

LOYAL AG
AG
About 8 years ago Mrs. LOYAL AG and I left the kids with her mom in Beeville and headed to Port A for the day. On the way back I cut the cruise as we pulled into Taft but didn't work real hard to get from 70 to 55 to 45 to 30. Consequently I found myself in the Whataburger parking lot at about 1145 PM with the entire Taft police department. The arresting officer pulled in behind me and blocked me into the parking spot while the other officer raced through the parking lot and turned into the empty lot next to Whataburger then parked in front of me. Now, I'm driving a nine year old OD Green Ford Expedition, the very definition of a mom mobile yet apparently I was such a threat to the fine citizens of Taft that they needed the entire department to give me a ticket. Mrs. LA promptly hopped on Facebook to share the hilarity with the world. For what? 46 in a 30.

When we finally got back to her mom's house we walked in still laughing about it. Her step dad who was a Game Warden for the coastal area back then asked where the ticket happened and we said Taft. His response, "Oh, that guy's an idiot. I can't help you there."

When I called the courthouse this was the conversation:

Me: Got a ticket this weekend. Need to set up defensive driving.
Clerk: Why would you do that?
Me: Because I don't want it on my record.
Clerk: Deferred Adjudication is only 30 days.
Me: So this is just about money?
Clerk: Yes.
Me: Cool. What's that address?

My advice to OP. Take the 30 days deferred or whatever it is and move on.
Scruffy
Stupe
S
If you're eligible for defensive driving, I don't think that you can get deferred.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Stupe said:

If you're eligible for defensive driving, I don't think that you can get deferred.

You can choose either. But defensive driving is cheaper and faster, plus you can use deferred if you get a second ticket. So I'd always choose defensive over deferred.

I've gotten my share of tickets over the years.
Stupe
S
It must have been a county rule that I...uh, I mean my friend...was talking about last May.
dallasiteinsa02
Got my first ticket on Monday in 23 years of driving. Going 23 in a 20 mile an hour school zone. There was a sign that I didn't see then another that was flashing that I got pulled over short of and luckily had slowed down in thinking I was entering a school zone.. The officer knew that I was thoroughly confused and knew that I didn't see the sign.
Aggie
AG
I don't know if Calvert is same but they used to not report tickets to the state.
I got a ticket going through Calvert on way up to metroplex in fall of 1997 for the A&M- North Texas game at Texas Stadium.
Never paid the ticket and never had an issue renewing drivers license ect.
Would get reminders in mail from Calvert court up until about 2005 or so and have not heard anything from them again.

All is good..... unless I get pulled over in Calvert again.
viejo
A good radar detector, and Waze, and i'm virtually invisible to the police. The former is worth every penny I paid. The latter is free. Use those two and almost no way you get a ticket.
Justin2010
AG
viejo said:

A good radar detector, and Waze, and i'm virtually invisible to the police. The former is worth every penny I paid. The latter is free. Use those two and almost no way you get a ticket.

Or you could just pay attention and not speed.
techno-ag
AG
Aggie said:

I don't know if Calvert is same but they used to not report tickets to the state.
I got a ticket going through Calvert on way up to metroplex in fall of 1997 for the A&M- North Texas game at Texas Stadium.
Never paid the ticket and never had an issue renewing drivers license ect.
Would get reminders in mail from Calvert court up until about 2005 or so and have not heard anything from them again.

All is good..... unless I get pulled over in Calvert again.
They've gone through several chiefs and officers over the years. One time the entire department resigned at once.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Calvert_Police_Department_Says_I_Quit_111737704.html

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
techno-ag
AG
viejo said:

You still have to watch out for traveling police cars (Waze won't warn you of those), and instant-on radar. But yeah, these days with the typical limit at 70 mph there's little need to speed on the highway anymore. It's coming into the little towns and speed zones out in the middle of nowhere that'll get you.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
agz win
AG
techno-ag said:

viejo said:

You still have to watch out for traveling police cars (Waze won't warn you of those), and instant-on radar. But yeah, these days with the typical limit at 70 mph there's little need to speed on the highway anymore. It's coming into the little towns and speed zones out in the middle of nowhere that'll get you.

Agree. I got popped coming into College Station for Saturday's game. Near Iona coming in on 60 from Huntsville. Out in the middle of nowhere and it was just him and me coming over hills. I wasn't paying attention and he was flipping his radar on and off while traveling. I had the music too loud and didn't hear my Valentine One chirping until too late. 86 in a 70.
Stupe
S
They work 60 a LOT.
EMY92
AG
I always laugh when going into Calvert, you see 90% of the vehicles hard on their brakes slowing down, the other 10% is happy to be passing all of the slow pokes...until.
Stupe
S
EMY92 said:

I always laugh when going into Calvert, you see 90% of the vehicles hard on their brakes slowing down, the other 10% is happy to be passing all of the slow pokes...until.
Yep.

Whenever I see that, I can't help but think "Now, this must be your first time in this town".

And...I do it in Sheriff Andy Taylor's voice.
anythingwebrelated
Welp! Got caught speeding 95 on a 75. Ticket says I can't take defensive driving for 20+mph ticket and I don't want it to go on my record (affect my insurance rates). What would be the best route? For those who just wanna bash someone I get it, I learned my lesson, I will not speed again ever in my life...
Esteban du Plantier
AG
anythingwebrelated said:

Welp! Got caught speeding 95 on a 75. Ticket says I can't take defensive driving for 20+mph ticket and I don't want it to go on my record (affect my insurance rates). What would be the best route? For those who just wanna bash someone I get it, I learned my lesson, I will not speed again ever in my life...

Can you do deferred?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.