Eyeglasses cost w/A&M VIsion Plan

1,596 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by legalbird
Nutmegger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where do y'all get your eyeglasses from using the A&M Vision Plan? And how much did you end up paying for them? I realize it depends on your frame selection, so you can note if that was a significant factor in your cost.

I've had glasses forever that are perfectly fine so each year since I started at A&M I have just been using that $150 benefit toward contacts. Well this year I realized that I have enough contacts stocked up so it seemed better to use the $150 on a new pair of glasses. Since it was the last day of the fiscal year when I realized this, I went to my eye doctor and they referred me to purchase from their affiliated retailer next door (Lenscrafters). They said they accept A&M insurance so I thought it would be covered normally (except the difference in frame cost over the $150 credit). The bill ended up being $200 and I'm not sure if this is normal cost with insurance or if I should have gone elsewhere. The last time I purchased glasses was pre-insurance so I am unsure of the average prices people pay when they have insurance. I do remember paying around $350 last time, so maybe $200 is the average price paid w/insurance?

After reading through our vision plan, it seems insurance should cover $150 + 20% on frame cost overage, and a $15 copay on lenses. My frames were $90 over the $150 covered, and with 20% off the overage it would be $72, plus the $15 lens copay = $87. When I called SuperiorVision (A&Ms vision provider), they stated you only get those benefits if you go to "discount providers". Apparently "in-network" is not the same as a "discount provider"? After further research it seems the only "discount provider" in the area is Texas Regional Eye Center. I have read that they may be overpriced to start with, so maybe it would have cost $200 after all was said and done anyway? Just curious what others may have experienced....
Koko Chingo
AG
Sam's Club, see Donna. She will spend the time with you to make sure you have something that is perfect
Nutmegger
AG
Koko Chingo said:

Sam's Club, see Donna. She will spend the time with you to make sure you have something that is perfect
Thanks, but I have already made the purchase. I was trying to figure out if this is a normal cost for glasses with A&M insurance.
JMac03
AG
Mine were $220 this year. I prefer not to say where I bought them for a few reasons. In previous years, even with name brand frames, they were under $100. I know this year I was given top of the line lenses without asking for them and my frames weren't super cheap (I want to say frames were going to cost me around $50 OOP). So I don't know if with the new vision insurance that went into place for FY18 caused the rate to increase, or if it was the lenses that was the drastic increase (whereas I think I just had plastic before).

Either way, I paid no where near $220 for my glasses several years ago. Heck last year (2017) I got prescription sunglasses and they were $80 OOP with name brand frames.

Edit - I did get my first two pair of glasses (non-$220 ones) at Eye Trends. I just didn't find any frames I liked this time around so I shopped around.
Koko Chingo
AG
Ok...

At Sam's about $30 - $40 out of pocket for single vision with upgraded polycarbonate lenses.

Wife did no-line bifocals in sunglasses for $52 out the door.

One kid with real bad eyes, $138 out the door for two pairs, one pair with a super fancy Hi-Index lenses so they won't be Coke bottles.

Other 2 kids single vision polycarbonate, nothing but the co-pays.

All prices above are with TAMU insurance. So far Sams, especially Donna has exceeded all expectations.

It killed my negative stereotype of wallmart owned companies. I don't shop at Walmart and tolllerate Sam's because I buy in bulk. Sam's optical has been great with great customer service. It's been a hidden gem
AgSportsFan2007
AG
I normally pay around $175-$200 with the insurance benefit. I get all of the extras with the lenses to get them as light and glare-free as possible due to the strength of my prescription.

I wouldn't think what you paid is out of the line if you got the bells and whistles (well worth getting if you only buy glasses every few years).
histag10
AG
It's likely your lenses that are driving the cost up.
If you upgrade lenses insurance basically pays nothing
armymom
Bought mine at Sam's this year and had to return 4 times because the progressive lenses were just not right. Returned to doctor and they said it was the glasses. Sam's did redo them and were better but not perfect. Husband gets his at the doctors office at Crystal Vision on Rock Prairie. We always pay for premium lenses so runs high.
AggieBarstool
Yes, your experience is normal and commensurate with mine over the last decade.
Counterpoint
AG
I dropped the TAMU vision plan and started getting the $7 designer glasses online (I know that's not your question, I just like them a lot, and you can't beat the price!).
JMac03
AG
Tell me more
basketaggie
AG
Eyetrends. Husband and the kids get the glasses with in the budget and then like $15 for their lenses. It's a bargain. I have a much much much more complex prescription and mine were $220. That's for the highest high index, progressive Zeiss lens. They will pull up the plan and price everything out for you, so you can pick and choose. Super friendly, great staff. I can't say enough good things about them.
legalbird
Always get your prescription in hand.

Wait for your eyes not to be dilated.

Go to Sams or Costco or somewhere like that. Look for no high pressure salesman to assist you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.