CS wants to raise taxes again

5,803 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FlyRod
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rusty reported tonight on KBTX that CS is considering raising the ad valorem tax to .505 per $100 valuation.

Special public hearing on it Wed. Sept. 5 at 7 pm in the city council chamber.

I think this would knock them up above Bryan's rate?

Anybody have any insight?
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
CivilAg10
AG
isitjustme
AG
techno-ag said:

Rusty reported tonight on KBTX that CS is considering raising the ad valorem tax to .505 per $100 valuation.

City of Bryan is just under 63 cents. But if CS does this change, they will be just under 80% of Bryan's rate while having much higher valuations and utility rates. This will work to Bryan's advantage, so I approve of the rate hike.
91_Aggie
AG
How does that work to Bryans advantage?
aggiepaintrain
AG
They are raising rates this year because values are probably dropping next year.
I will move to Bryan as soon as I can.
Atleast there you don't get screwed by the tax office AND utilities in Bryan.
FJB
southerner
AG
They are also creating a homestead exemption of 5%. The rate increase will be "revenue neutral" for the city and create a small tax decrease for properties with the homestead exemption.
techno-ag
AG
southerner said:

They are also creating a homestead exemption of 5%. The rate increase will be "revenue neutral" for the city and create a small tax decrease for properties with the homestead exemption.
Ah. Another swipe at rental owners.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Oogway
That's one perspective; but perhaps another would be that it encourages home ownership which is also good for CS.
AgGunNut
AG
When KBTX initially reported a few weeks ago, they did very little research and spewed raw numbers. Guess they're doing the same here, despite numerous people leaving comments on their Facebook post that their story was inaccurate and/or misleading.

This rate increase will be about $8 more per year per $100k of valuation and is a wash with the new homestead exemption. Side note: the proposed city budget is actually LOWER than it has been in the last several years.
oldag00
AG
Do you really believe this makes a difference whether someone buys a home or not?
hopeandrealchange
southerner said:

You might want to reread the details on the homestead exemption.

Most will not catch the trick the city is using here. Pay close attention to what they are proposing.

This is from an article in the Eagle.

While at its previous meeting the council agreed unanimously to pursue such an exemption, which will remove 5 percent of a home's valuation from taxation, Councilman Bob Brick and Councilwoman Linda Harvell abstained from Thursday's vote, with the rest of the council supporting the motion.
southerner
AG
What am I missing?
91_Aggie
AG
agrab86 said:

This will work to Bryan's advantage, so I approve of the rate hike.
I still want to know how this tax rate change in one city is an advantage to another city.

cslifer
Me too, especially considering that CS will still be 13 cents below Bryan.
oklaunion
techno-ag said:

On an earlier broadcast, he said " point five cent" increase which to me is one half of a penny. The way it read on the screen at the time was $.505 which to me is a fifty cent increase.
cslifer
What is the trick? Are we missing something?
isitjustme
AG
cslifer said:

Even though th CS tax rate will still be 13 cents lower than Bryan, CS property valuations and utilities are already much higher than Bryan's. So when CS raises tax rates, it becomes more expensive to live, invest, and develop in CS, so people looking to do that in this area look at nearby alternatives, of which Bryan is the main one. Even with a higher rate, Bryan's valuations and utility rates are sufficiently low enough to make Bryan more attractive.

This is especially true as CS has many recent rate increases - about 10% over the last 4-5 years - while Bryan has held their rates. So expectations are that CS will be more likely to continue raising rates while Bryan won't. This too makes Bryan more attractive to home buyers, investors, and developers.
Oogway
I don't know that it will influence home buyers, per se. However, it may cause some landlords who dabble in real estate to free up some of their properties that are not cost effective in their portfolio. It isn't a direct A=B, and it isn't a large increase, but it is one way to encourage *middle class families and retirees (who don't wish to rent) to stay in CS.

*By middle class, I am using Business Insider's range of middle class income for Texas (from San Antonio/Houston) and enlarging it by using both cities: $37,00-123,000.

Edit--sorry agrab86, my post is replying to another, but what you say is essentially spot on.
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

What is the trick? Are we missing something?

I have not seen anything that has said my homestead taxes will be reduced by 5%. They have said they will knock 5% off of valuations.
How old are you? Are your valuations locked in? How long have they been locked in? Are they taking 5% off the valuations you are paying tax on? Are they going to knock 5% off the valuation and then increase the tax per $100.00?
The statement I have seen does not say I will be saving 5% on my homestead property taxes.
bloom
I do not live in the COCS, but I do own property in the area. The guy who just installed tile for me owns a rental home. The plumber i use owns a rental home. These people might be forced to sell with the new tax rate (your scenario) but the the people/businesses that own multiple properties won't miss a beat. I personally hate to see this happen. I liked hearing the tile guy tell me about his rental unit and how it fit into his plans for the future.

The alternative is this:
COCS places greater tax burden on rentals
Rental rates rise to cover increasing costs
COCS bemoans high rental rates

If I was king, Texas would lock your value when a home is purchased (as some states do) and only reassess when the home sells. If they did this they could not play with the "we have not raised taxes" line, "give" groups homestead exemption increase exemptions, etc as much and cities would have to be more honest about how they are raising and spending funds.
techno-ag
AG
If anybody here attends tonight, please report back.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
AggiePhil
AG
agrab86 said:

cslifer said:

Even though th[e] CS tax rate will still be 13 cents lower than Bryan, CS property valuations and utilities are already much higher than Bryan's.
There's a reason why CS property valuations are higher than Bryan's. Just sayin'.
isitjustme
AG
No disputing that there are some very good reasons why CS valuations are higher than Bryan's. And in previous years, CS has offset those higher valuations with substantially lower tax rates. My point is that as those tax rates get closer to each other and given the utility situation, Bryan will look better to many.
91_Aggie
AG
Bryan may look better to many, but couples with kids are still going to buy based on school districts.

And if those couples have a choice and the only difference is a slight tax increase, they aren't going to choose Bryan.

So what you'll get are singles or retired folks or lower income people choosing Bryan locations.

But I'm not sure why you are so excited about Bryan "winning" here. Are you that caught up in the "Tribal " competition between area codes or zip codes???
Bryanisbest
AG
White flight will always prevail!
isitjustme
AG
91_Aggie said:

Bryan may look better to many, but couples with kids are still going to buy based on school districts.

And if those couples have a choice and the only difference is a slight tax increase, they aren't going to choose Bryan.

Couples with kids continue to choose Bryan. CSISD is fine, but Bryan has a broad range of academic offerings. At the higher end are 2 national blue ribbon elementary schools (and other good elementary schools), odyssey and inquire academies, the area's only IB program, and collegiate high. A lot of people pick BISD just for the schools/programs, and is one of the reasons we stayed in Bryan once our kids were school-age (both now done with BISD).

And the cost to get a family into a house in the great neighborhoods served by Bryan's good elementary schools is a lot less than most decent neighborhoods in College Station. (Anyone academically qualified can go to whichever other mentioned program they want to regardless of where they live in BISD.)

And, yes, it's okay to state that if prices (taxes in this case) go up in CS then it will help Bryan attract more homeowners, investors, and developers. I particularly like this because it will broaden Bryan's tax base and help to keep my taxes lower. So my statements are accurate, and have more of a selfish motivation than a CSvB situation.
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

(Anyone academically qualified can go to whichever other mentioned program they want to regardless of where they live in BISD.)

This is a good point. I think after the last zoning fiasco in CSISD, the fact any BISD student can attend those high schools works very strong in their favor.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
techno-ag
AG
Whelp, KBTX says no homeowners showed up to voice an opinion one way or the other. Next hearing is Sept. 13, 6 pm.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
UmustBKidding
Why bother showing up, they are going to do it anyway. Last public hearing I went to with planning I asked they they would consider X. I was informed that they were going to recommend to the council not X. I asked why they are holding a hearing if the answer was already decided. Because the state says we have to have one, but we have no intention of doing anything other that what we have already decided.
threecatcorner
If the state requires them to have a meeting, they should also require them to actually listen to the public.
Charli
agrab86 said:

91_Aggie said:

Couples with kids continue to choose Bryan. CSISD is fine, but Bryan has a broad range of academic offerings. At the higher end are 2 national blue ribbon elementary schools (and other good elementary schools), odyssey and inquire academies, the area's only IB program, and collegiate high. A lot of people pick BISD just for the schools/programs, and is one of the reasons we stayed in Bryan once our kids were school-age (both now done with BISD).

And the cost to get a family into a house in the great neighborhoods served by Bryan's good elementary schools is a lot less than most decent neighborhoods in College Station. (Anyone academically qualified can go to whichever other mentioned program they want to regardless of where they live in BISD.)

And, yes, it's okay to state that if prices (taxes in this case) go up in CS then it will help Bryan attract more homeowners, investors, and developers. I particularly like this because it will broaden Bryan's tax base and help to keep my taxes lower. So my statements are accurate, and have more of a selfish motivation than a CSvB situation.
We chose Bryan over College Station because of the IB program & Collegiate High School. And now add in the 2 charter schools, locations for proper schools really isn't an issue.
rcannaday
AG
Huge windfalls from increased property values... yet still needing to raise taxes...? Someone's budget must be getting multiplied.
techno-ag
AG
Charli said:

agrab86 said:

91_Aggie said:

We chose Bryan over College Station because of the IB program & Collegiate High School. And now add in the 2 charter schools, locations for proper schools really isn't an issue.
I can see this as a strong selling point for real estate agents with properties in Bryan. They'll say it's cheaper, lower taxes (if CS keeps raising), lower utilities especially without the CSU surcharges, and it doesn't matter what school it's zoned for thanks to the charters and Collegiate HS

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
isitjustme
AG
techno-ag said:

I can see this as a strong selling point for real estate agents with properties in Bryan. They'll say it's cheaper, lower taxes (if CS keeps raising), lower utilities especially without the CSU surcharges, and it doesn't matter what school it's zoned for thanks to the charters and Collegiate HS
I agree that it should work like this. But one big fact remains - property values are Indeed higher in CS, which means home sales prices are higher so commissions are higher. While there are plenty of agents who will stress Bryan's good attributes to homebuyers with school age children, most would rather have the larger commission that comes with the sale of a CS home.

ETA: nothing wrong with wanting to make more $$
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

techno-ag said:

I agree that it should work like this. But one big fact remains - property values are Indeed higher in CS, which means home sales prices are higher so commissions are higher. While there are plenty of agents who will stress Bryan's good attributes to homebuyers with school age children, most would rather have the larger commission that comes with the sale of a CS home.

ETA: nothing wrong with wanting to make more $$
True in theory and 3% of an additional few thousand may add up, but the agents I know are just happy to sell houses, whichever town they're in.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.