Retired mother-in-law moving to BCS

2,392 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by armymom
apoglo12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My recently retired mother-in-law will be moving to College Station this month. She is looking for ways to meet people and potentially seeking a part time job. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

TIA
BCStalk
Northgate sounds like a good start. What are her interests and hobbies? Might help to pinpoint some local groups or places.
Oogway
For a start, she might try speaking with the folks at the Senior Center:
http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=626

It is a place where folks get together and they have a variety of groups as you will see from the link.

If I think of some more I will edit them in.

Edit:
After some reflection, here are a few ideas for you...
Will she be attending a house of worship? There are a lot of great churches here and lots of friendly congregations.

Any particular interests? There are quite a few groups from politics to pickleball. Master gardeners, bird watching, card games, fantasy football, darts, running, cycling, triathlons, alumni groups from several universities, beer making, wine making, cooking, painting, travel groups and so on.

There are also a lot of volunteer organizations if her work hours permit.

dallasiteinsa02
Single?
hcrt74
AG
My wife is a retired teacher and she works part-time at Rachael's Hallmark in College Station next to Kroger's (3525 Longmire). They are currently looking for part-time help.
apoglo12
AG
Thanks for all the helpful responses. To answer some questions and give some add'l info:

1. She is 70, single, and moving from Temple, TX
2. Just retired last week from a career in radio advertising sales so work took up a lot of her time and she didn't really have hobbies
3. She's very social, active for her age (not athletic active), and enjoys trying new things and meeting new people
4. I passed along the information on the Hallmark as well! Thanks for this!

I passed along the info on the Senior community center and she will definitely be checking that out. Any other help would be great but thanks again!
CEAg78
AG
The monthly history luncheons are something I look forward to.
armymom
Line dancing is a fun group at CS senior center and social as well as the other activities they offer.
armymom
Fall CSTX parks and rec guide
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.