Forget Mr. Hamburger

27,592 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Croatoan
oldag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Food and service way below par, nothing close to the hype. Wait 45 minutes at 3pm for food and then they forget the Jalapenos? Heard lots of other folks commenting the same.. They had at least 8 people working and the drive through was blocked off. Only part that was working right was the guy running the cash register, of course!
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PXChg.gif[/IMG]
AggiePhil
AG
<shrugs> I thought it was pretty good. As good as or better than Whataburger with some cool extra menu items.
b0ridi
I would ask for money back after 15 minutes and go to a different place. It's just a burger
isitjustme
AG
Wanted to go there Friday evening but they had lines and figured it was opening weekend pangs, which turned out was what was going on. We instead went to Chicken Oil - burgers were fine but nobody ate their fries, not at our table or at about 10 other tables. 3 people, $34.

Wife tried Mr Hamburger again Saturday morning to surprise me with a breakfast sandwich. The sandwich was pretty darn good, but I had to hear from my wife about the 25 minute wait. They'll likely figure out the service issues, or they won't last. We'll give them a couple of weeks to improve.

We do like their Huntsville restaurant and we realize they aren't supposed to be McD or Taco Bell fast, but taking too much longer than DQ or whataburger is not going to win you many repeat customers.
rsa
AG
AggiePhil said:

<shrugs> I thought it was pretty good. as good as or better than Whata with some cool extra menu items.

Went Friday evening. Yes, they were slow, but it was their first day and they were swamped. Our burgers were good, as were the sides. They were slammed at 5:45 when we went in even with all 3 registers open. Watching the staff at work we noticed that they were courteous and did their best to correct any issues/mistakes that may have come up. All-in-all despite the minor hiccups we enjoyed our meal and will likely return and try something new.
BCStalk
I wish I had video of the way they were treating workers. The wife and I can typically tolerate bad service, but this was beyond that to where it was uncomfortable. I'll stick with the other good burger places in town. This place doesn't deserve my money.
FlyRod
I know where I'll be having lunch tomorrow.
Croatoan
AG
My name is John Mathews, Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2004, and I am the owner of Mr. Hamburger. I've been a serial lurker on Texags since school and have posted maybe once or twice. Nevertheless, I love this online community and the unique take it has on Aggie Sports and everything else.

I took a big risk in bringing Mr. Hamburger to Aggieland and thought we were prepared for our opening. What I did not anticipate was the tremendous level of business we received. We did zero advertising hoping for a slow manageable start. That did not happen. We still had a fantastic soft and grand opening but things started going downhill Saturday when the fatigue set in.

I hope I can count on my Aggie family to give us an opportunity to get things right. We want to treat our staff with the utmost respect, pay them well, and provide exceptional food and service to our customers. This is what we are known for and why Mr. Hamburger has been in business for 60 years.
We are going to close for Labor Day and take the time to give folks rest and to re-tool.

We will get this right and I just ask you to give us that opportunity. Thanks and Gig 'em!
TellMeMore
Thanks for being upfront. Too often consumers don't understand the challenges you face. The names of people who failed before they succeeded would stun some people. This is the greatest country in the world. You get your shot. I think finding workers to buy in is hard, but very important. I am waiting a couple of weeks for you to get it right. I, for one, hope you get it so you can carve a spot in the burger world.
FlyRod
Good Bull from the owner.
Tailgate88
AG
I look forward to trying this place. Also wondering why someone would start a thread about a brand new restaurant that is clearly overwhelmed with business when they first open.
halibut sinclair
Mr. H will be fine. Eat 'em up Kats!
techno-ag
AG
Kudos, sir. Somebody on another thread said people on this board are not the vox populi of BCS, so don't let the Negative Nancies on this board get you down. Wishing y'all all the best as the semester continues.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
bcstx06
Mr. Mathews I completely understand. Some people are so quick to judge a business as soon as it opens. I visited your business and enjoyed it. Yes I had to wait a long time for my food but that is because there were so many people to serve and it was a nonstop line of people coming in after me. You have my support and business and thank you for expanding here. I like all of the history on the walls and the diner feel as well.

I can see this business becoming a franchise!
Wicked Good Ag
We went to soft opening on Wednesday I think

Gave a quick report in comings and goings. They had a ton of workers there and line was not bad when I got there but steadily increased while we were there.

Burger is done with hard sear so you get charred edges. Fries are similar to Koppe Bridge. We will go back again when they have time to settle in. I usually give every place at least a second chance especially if we go early into business opening.
legalbird
Million dollar advice about to be given. Maybe give me some french fries one day.

NEVER REPLY OR RESPOND TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA...

NEVER READ IT

TRUST ME......
Broncos
Croatoan said:

My name is John Mathews, Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2004, and I am the owner of Mr. Hamburger. I've been a serial lurker on Texags since school and have posted maybe once or twice. Nevertheless, I love this online community and the unique take it has on Aggie Sports and everything else.

I took a big risk in bringing Mr. Hamburger to Aggieland and thought we were prepared for our opening. What I did not anticipate was the tremendous level of business we received. We did zero advertising hoping for a slow manageable start. That did not happen. We still had a fantastic soft and grand opening but things started going downhill Saturday when the fatigue set in.

I hope I can count on my Aggie family to give us an opportunity to get things right. We want to treat our staff with the utmost respect, pay them well, and provide exceptional food and service to our customers. This is what we are known for and why Mr. Hamburger has been in business for 60 years.
We are going to close for Labor Day and take the time to give folks rest and to re-tool.

We will get this right and I just ask you to give us that opportunity. Thanks and Gig 'em!

Responses like this will get me in the door to give it a chance.
75AG
AG
Mr Hamburger owner,

Don't worry about the OP. He was pissed his dinner wasn't perfect. At 3 PM. Old people /smh....
Broncos
75AG said:

Mr Hamburger owner,

Don't worry about the OP. He was pissed his dinner wasn't perfect. At 3 PM. Old people /smh....

It doesn't help that he's old either.
RG20
[That is not how we allow posters to respond on this forum. -Staff]
oldag76
AG
Thanks for the advice RG20. My wife anD I both decided to stop in as there were plenty of open parking spaces so we thought they would be able to handle "normal" volume at 3pm. One person was in line. There were open tables. We ordered, got our drinks and sat down. After 25 minutes I went to check. There were 6 orders ahead of ours I was told. 1 burger and one chicken, no fries or rings. Basic order. I checked at 35 minutes, and they offered our money back. Kitchen was chaos. At 40-45 min I went for ice for our drinks and they had or order trying to figure out the name to call.
Both sandwiches were incomplete and chicken was way over done. Paid for jalapenos and didn't get them.
Glad to see the owner monitoring social media and truly appreciate his honesty. Nothing makes me happier than seeing hard working, risk taking Aggies succeed.
Honest direct feedback helps you grow and improve. In the real business world there are no "participation trophies". I hope Mr. Hamburger corrects their problems and succeeds. It is a good concept.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PXChg.gif[/IMG]
Croatoan
AG
We really do appreciate the honest feedback and advice. I tell my family and friends that go to my restaurants that they aren't helping me if they tell me things are good when they really aren't. Of course there is constructive criticism and then there is criticism that is intended to hurt. We don't spend the time nor take the energy to respond to the latter. I look forward to checking back on this board as each of you gives us a try and you let me know how we are doing. You're always welcome to call me on my cell phone about your experience. 936-661-9151

Gig 'em
Stupe
S
legalbird said:

Million dollar advice about to be given. Maybe give me some french fries one day.

NEVER REPLY OR RESPOND TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA...

NEVER READ IT

TRUST ME......
That is completely incorrect.

An owner or manager that responds to both the positive and negative reviews in a professional manner will probably get business from people that appreciate customer service. HOW they respond is the important factor.

The owner of Mr. Hamburger gave an outstanding and informative reply to a poster that started a thread that was nothing but negative and I'm going to take my family there BECAUSE of his reply.

You, on the other hand, made another post that is completely pointless on a thread. Your advice wasn't worth a three dollar bill, let alone a million dollars.
Fleen
This board alone offers a quick case study on the impact of a business owner's social media response and the impact on current and/or potential customers...
BCSWguru
this thread is hilarious. I went for lunch today and could not have had a better experience.
Croatoan
AG
Thanks for coming in! We've had a great day and are starting to hit our stride.
dubi
AG
Croatoan said:

Do you have gluten free buns?
TheAlarmGuy
dubi said:

Croatoan said:

Do you have gluten free buns?
Free Water Dubi LOL
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
JSAD
I've been to Mr. Hamburger in Huntsville, probably a few years back and was super happy it came into B/CS... The food is really good to me, but the only thing i have to say that was kind of a let down (which again happened within the first week because i was over-eager to eat) was that i never got the fries with my combos, the 1st one didn't bother me, but the 2nd one was for my girlfriend so yeah... kinda had to get them... other than that, really good product, and a better location for where it's at. Can't wait for ya'll to bring breakfast back. I kinda wanted to try that.
cs69ag
AG
Is it really about $ 11.00 for 1/4 lb burger, fries and a drink?
Croatoan
AG
Yes we do.
Croatoan
AG
Our Original burger, which is 1/3rd lb, with fries and 20 oz drink is $9.96 tax included. For Certified Angus Beef and hand cut fries/hand battered onion rings, I think you will find that is an exceptional value. If you're not familiar with Certified Angus Beef, I encourage to look it up. Truly a better beef that you can taste the difference.
TheAlarmGuy
Croatoan said:

Our Original burger, which is 1/3rd lb, with fries and 20 oz drink is $9.96 tax included. For Certified Angus Beef and hand cut fries/hand battered onion rings, I think you will find that is an exceptional value. If you're not familiar with Certified Angus Beef, I encourage to look it up. Truly a better beef that you can taste the difference.
very good deal we're not in the 70's 80's or 90's anymore.
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
FlyRod
I second that. Any lunch of quality at or around $10 is a hell of a good deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.