Forget Mr. Hamburger

27,593 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Croatoan
theycallmemrtibbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
australopithecus robustus said:

Point taken but a drive through time of 18 minutes is beyond excessive. Drive through should be 5-10 for quality. For typical fast food, 3 or 4.

That said, I'd rather wait 10 or 15 in fuego or Whataburger drive through than 3 at jack in the box for instance.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. So 18 minutes is beyond excessive but you'll gladly wait that for Whataburger? And, for the record, the wait time in a Whataburger drive thru can far far exceed 18 minutes.
australopithecus robustus
Yeah I noticed that could be misinterpreted.

What I meant was the RANGE of 10, tops 15 minutes.
Stucco
australopithecus robustus said:

Point taken but a drive through time of 18 minutes is beyond excessive. Drive through should be 5-10 for quality. For typical fast food, 3 or 4.

That said, I'd rather wait 10 or even up to 15 in fuego or Whataburger drive through than 3 at jack in the box for instance.
If you order online I'd wager the wait is more to your liking.

https://orders.cake.net/11137501

GiveEmHellBill
AG
techno-ag said:

It takes a long time at 5 Guys, too. Heck, I've waited 15 or 20 at Top of the Hill before. Well worth it.
Wife and I ate at Top of the Hill for the first time this weekend. Absolutely fabulous burger......but we waited over 20 minutes and it wasn't super busy. Luckily our chili cheese fries came out about halfway through so we had those while we waited.
legalbird
Even that big orange and white place takes a long time. I think they have two lanes for the drive thru.

It takes a while to fine tune the mechanisms of a clock. Someone that wears an apple watch may not get it.

Anyway, can't wait to try Mr Hamburger out.

SchnauzerMom
Husband and I decided to try Mr. H on Thursday evening, it was not a great experience, but even after what we experienced, we will be back to give them another shot.

-I got there a little after 8:00 - 2 cars in the drive thru. 1 at window, 1 waiting behind
-After sitting at the order area for over 5 minutes, I politely asked if they were open. Not sure what was going on, but couldn't hear the young lady and she kept breaking up. Eventually she came on and was able to take my order.
-As I am pulling around to the window same car is still sitting at window and the second car drives off.
-Employee comes out to my car (in the rain) to verify the car had driven off, and to make sure my order was correct. She repeated it correctly.
-I then waited another 25 minutes in line. I get to the window, she repeats my order again, I pay, she hands me food, but had to wait on the drinks. She was extremely nice and apologetic about the wait.
-I get home, the order is completely wrong. Even after she verified my order numerous times, I was still given the order of the car who drove off in front of me. Didn't realize until I was already home and by that point it was 9:00. They were closing, we were hungry.

It is obvious something was off on Thursday night. There was a manager type employee standing there watching everything unfold within the drive thru. However, it could have helped if he would have been doing quality control. Was it a bad experience, and not what we ordered? Yes, but we will give them another shot. Although we ate burgers and fries which were ice cold and not what we wanted or ordered, they had great flavor. I actually got to eat the burger that was my second option behind what I ordered. I think once all of the kinks get worked out, and the staff is fully trained, Mr. H has potential to be a solid contender for great burgers in B/CS.
legalbird
I'm gonna give a detailed account of my experience...stay tuned.
DimeBox17
AG
Just ate at Mr. H and was not impressed. Ordered the original burger and fries. Both burger and fries were not freshly cooked. Burger had great flavor but I'm not a fan of a dried out patty. Fries were dry and were not even close to being hot and fresh. Food was out in about 3 minutes because it was not made to order. I would have preferred waiting 15 minutes for fresh food. I'll give it another shot
Croatoan
AG
The person standing there in the kitchen was me. I am sorry to hear you or anyone else was there that night. I stopped in after being alerted to some issues going on with our staff and customers were the victim. Someone lost their job that night.
SchnauzerMom
I'm sorry someone lost their job that night. I was quite frazzled after getting home and realizing we had the wrong food, but I get it, sometimes it happens. The food we had was enough to keep us interested in your menu, and we will be back!
Kitten With A Whip
Croatoan said:

Sorry to hear that KWAP. While we've been open 3 weeks now, the drive thru has been open only half of that time. We are working to train everyone to do it the same way every time. Clearly that doesn't always happen which is why you had your experience.

You will notice that none of the new premium burger joints have drive-thru windows. There is a reason for that. Making a fast casual burger in a fast food concept and maintaining made-to-order quality at low prices has exceptional challenges. We've had it down in Huntsville for a while and we will get it right here. Try us again soon and let me know how it goes please. Thanks for the feedback!
I understand and I'm not hating on ya. I'll give you some times to get it all worked out, but I will definitely be back! Thanks for the responses here. I know there will be trolls and those you simply cannot please no matter what, but, in my opinion, your presence here shows you care.
legalbird
Great tasting hamburger.

Fast service.

Clean

Employees looked great with uniform. Very professional appearance.

My only comment. Invest in a self service ice machine. The cashier shouldn't be handing ice.
AggiePhil
AG
Gotta agree about the ice. Major mistake IMO. A couple of the people I was with acted like that alone would keep them from returning.
75AG
AG
AggiePhil said:

Gotta agree about the ice. Major mistake IMO. A couple of the people I was with acted like that alone would keep them from returning.
Do they touch your ice?
Croatoan
AG
Our cashiers scoop the ice for our customers. Of course it is done in a completely sanitary way. We do not touch the ice.

The reason we do this is because the type of ice we use, flake ice, will not dispense through an automatic dispenser. It cakes up. An inconvenience to us and the customers but we have so many that love our ice over the many years that we hesitate to change it. And no, it is not the same ice as Sonic which is known as nugget ice. Flake ice is softer and more irregular shaped. Sone people will appreciate it and others will say "its just ice". Just a matter of preference.
MelsSass
The ice is awesome!!
75AG
AG
Thanks. From the posts above, I thought employees were picking up ice with their hands.
76Ag
AG
Hamburgers are of course very subjective. My wife is very picky but a few weeks ago we ate burgers at Ted's Montana Grill in CS, CO. She now thinks they have the best burgers on the planet and now she wants to try burgers at most places to compare them. Top of the Hill burgers were very good but different from Ted's. They are just two different sort of restaurants. If I had realized it was started by Ted Turner I wouldn't have gone there but that's a different story. Now we will try Bernie's Burger Bus in Katy. Can anyone tell me how the Mr. Hamburger burgers compare to others?
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Now we will try Bernie's Burger Bus in Katy. Can anyone tell me how the Mr. Hamburger burgers compare to others?
Nobody tell him Bernie Sanders owns this place.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I had a cheese burger through drive thru the other day, I liked it. Service was pretty fast too.
Will try other items soon.
FlyRod
I will be back when I hear they have better buns, or have introduced an option to upgrade the buns.
legalbird
If Bernie was a real hamburger place only catsup, one size of hamburger, 1/2 a pickle slice, and 5 day old bread. He would not have any motive to be excellent and you wait in line for 2 hours.
Kitten With A Whip
FlyRod said:

I will be back when I hear they have better buns, or have introduced an option to upgrade the buns.
There is not a thing wrong with their buns. If THAT is your only complaint then you are just looking for something to be a snit about.
FlyRod
Last time was there with 3 co-workers. All agreed they need buns that hold together better. Not a snit, a collective observation.
Croatoan
AG
We grill our buns on a flattop griddle which is intended to help the bun not fall apart when subjected to sauces and grease. It is most likely that the buns you were served were not grilled properly. This is a complaint we don't get in Huntsville or Bryan when we know we've grilled it properly. I'm not opposed to offering an upgraded bun which we have offered in the past but our current bun will stay our normal bun.
techno-ag
AG
It's really hard to beat this owner's responses to all the criticisms on here. That's the way to handle it, IMO. Polite but firm. Open, honest, & nonconfrontational.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Kitten With A Whip
techno-ag said:

It's really hard to beat this owner's responses to all the criticisms on here. That's the way to handle it, IMO. Polite but firm. Open, honest, & nonconfrontational.
Agreed.
jja79
AG
This thread is a gold mine of free advertising.
FlyRod
Quote:

We grill our buns on a flattop griddle which is intended to help the bun not fall apart when subjected to sauces and grease. It is most likely that the buns you were served were not grilled properly. This is a complaint we don't get in Huntsville or Bryan when we know we've grilled it properly. I'm not opposed to offering an upgraded bun which we have offered in the past but our current bun will stay our normal bun.

Great response, thank you. I hope you get the grilling inconsistency problem under control and continue to attract business!
legalbird
GOLDEN

Please make the ice machine counter height so nobody has to bend down or to keep things from falling in.

Also, the cooks were wearing gloves, so if cashier handles ice, gloves are needed. Money is dirty!!

EBrazosAg
AG
Went today. I think closest compare is MOOYAH. Fewer fries and they were end of meal warm when served. Service speed fast - maybe 3 min. Burger was top notch. Line way too long at 12:00. Lucky I ate with some retired friends who always eat at 11:30. I would try again - and if in Bryan would be high on my list. If in College Station I have as good if not better options closer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ_90
AG
went there for lunch. lost my order, onion rings and burger over cooked.

$11 for cheeseburger, rings, and drink. not worth it.

will pass it by and go to Whataburger
Croatoan
AG
Never a good excuse for losing an order. Sorry BQ. I already spoke with our Manager about your order and he remembers it.

On a broader note, we have received numerous complaints about overcooked burgers when we know the burger is the way we do it. Part of our challenge has been educating locals on how we cook our burger. As we have done in Huntsville for so long, we grill our patties at a high temperature to create a sear on the outside with a little char on the edge. If you want to get technical, it is the Maillard reaction wherein different flavor compounds are created when you sear meat at a high temp. Like searing a steak, or blackening tomatoes for a roasted tomato salsa. In meat, it locks in the moisture on the inside and creates flavor when our seasonings hit that high temp on the flat top. It is what makes us unique. We explain the process on the wall in our restaurant so that when people get a burger with that slight crisp edge, they don't think we overcooked it. Even still, we understand that to some people, we've "burned the burger" or "overcooked" it when our staff is doing it the way they are supposed to. I'm not trying to say this is the way you should like our burger, but it is the way many people like their burger. It's okay if you don't and I don't blame anyone for going somewhere else if it isn't their flavor profile. However, we are happy to cook the burger anyway you like it! Simply ask that your burger not be seared and we will find a cooler spot on the grill to cook yours on.

Thanks everyone!
Creekisrising
Stopped in for lunch for the first time today.

Guy at the counter was very friendly and helpful. Burgers and fries were both very good.
My first reaction was that the burger was over cooked (I prefer medium rare) but I ended up really liking the flavor.
95_Aggie
AG
Has a burger place ever been so thoroughly critiqued as this thread?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.