Forget Mr. Hamburger

27,729 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Croatoan
BCS12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

Have eaten there twice and love it. "The Professor" rocks. The onion rings are the best I've had in town (not over-battered).

A MINOR criticism/suggestion: consider a higher quality bun. Y'all have such great burgers, they deserve it!
A really good, juicy, greasy burger. I did order onion rings and got fries instead, but it's cool. I agree with the bun comment. Burger House has the best buns.
isitjustme
AG
Picked up some Mr. Hamburger for lunch today. Before I try a place's "special" hamburgers, I want to make sure their standard burger is good, so that's what I ordered at the drive-thru with onion rings on the side.

Food came out in a very timely fashion, and the taste of both the burger and rings were outstanding. Even the bun performed well. I will indeed be ordering some of their "special" burgers in the future
viejo
For that kind of burger, I'm going to Whataburger.....Aggie owned.
halibut sinclair
viejo said:

For that kind of burger, I'm going to Whataburger.....Aggie owned.
So is Mr. H.
redchapterjubilee
I snuck in last Thursday for lunch. Was worried after reading all the negative comments on here. I shouldn't have worried. Had my food in less than 10 minutes but I also got in there right at noon. I had whatever it is they call the deep fried burger in a combo. Burger was delicious, fries were good. Portions were a little small but certainly enough for me for lunch. $10 for all of this is a little steep but the food was certainly good. I'll go back but certainly not all the time.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
As far as fast food goes I think they may have the best fries in town.
Croatoan
AG
Glad to hear you say that about the fries. Few people realize how much effort goes in to making a crispy, non-greasy fresh cut fry. It's not easy. Ours is a two-day process using a potato with the correct starch/sugar content.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm gonna try this place soon
unmade bed
Tried it today at lunch. Was delicious. No issues with service. Will bring my girls back this weekend to join the Kids club for the Tshirt!!! Glad OP posted this. It has been my daily reminder to give it a try
Birddog
AG
Went on Tuesday night around 9pm using drive through, 4th car in line, took about 10 minutes to get the burger, double meat double cheese add bacon. They Forgot the bacon,so had to park and go inside. They put on a little extra for my trouble. The bacon was thicker than the transparent bacon Whataburger uses. Was better tasting than Whataburger, but more expensive. Will go back.
nwspmp
Croatoan said:

Glad to hear you say that about the fries. Few people realize how much effort goes in to making a crispy, non-greasy fresh cut fry. It's not easy. Ours is a two-day process using a potato with the correct starch/sugar content.
Completely agree. First time I went fries were very good.

Second time though, around 4:30 on Tuesday, the fries appeared as if they'd either not been fried the right amount of time/hardly at all. The color was a gray-brown and they were mushy inside and out with no crispness at all.

Was still great and the double burger, holy cow was it good.
bushytailed
AG
Blue star for the Ol' Sarge burger
MTTANK
AG
Went around 2 today with the wife. We split the fried burger combo and added cheese. It was about a 5 minute wait or so inside, so quick service. Not sure what bun complaints are all about, mine did not fall apart at all. Was toasted nicely. Wife and I loved it! Will not hesitate to go again, very impressed. Now, if you can open us one in South College Station????
GIG 'EM
bearkitten
Mr. Hamburger, would you pretty please bring the chili cheese burrito to the Bryan location? Please and thank you.
Croatoan
AG
I was wondering how long it would be before we got this request! We will certainly take it under consideration. For those that don't know, the Bryan menu is slightly different than the Huntsville menu.
TheAlarmGuy
Croatoan said:

I was wondering how long it would be before we got this request! We will certainly take it under consideration. For those that don't know, the Bryan menu is slightly different than the Huntsville menu.
South College Station ?????
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Picadillo
The bun comes lightly toasted and warm; most places serve cold burgers where the only thing that's warm is the paper-thin 1/4lb patty that just came out of a freezer. Would not change the bun.
Tariny
We stopped by for lunch today. Service was fast, we got there around 12:15 p.m. and had our food (The Killer and The Warden) in about 5 minutes. I really liked their fries, but the burger was over cooked for me (I'm a medium rare/faintly moo'ing kind of girl) and was super salty.

The staff was very friendly, the shakes looked good, and I love all of the old local news paper pictures on the wall. I believe we will be back, I'll just ask them to go easy on the salt next time and hopefully they can accommodate. Has anyone tried their chicken sandwiches yet?
jh88ag
AG
Tariny said:

We stopped by for lunch today. Service was fast, we got there around 12:15 p.m. and had our food (The Killer and The Warden) in about 5 minutes. I really liked their fries, but the burger was over cooked for me (I'm a medium rare/faintly moo'ing kind of girl) and was super salty.

The staff was very friendly, the shakes looked good, and I love all of the old local news paper pictures on the wall. I believe we will be back, I'll just ask them to go easy on the salt next time and hopefully they can accommodate. Has anyone tried their chicken sandwiches yet?
Just curious, did you request that they under-cook your burger? Seriously, no burger place in their right mind will serve burgers med rare as their standard process. I like them med rare too, but I don't expect to get that.
Tariny
I didn't expect it either, it's just what I prefer, and I only said anything as a warning to others so they would know to ask. It was my first trip there, next time I'll ask if they can do medium rare.
Croatoan
AG
By default, we cook medium-well to well-done. We are happy to cook to any temperature however. We also season heavily but it still should not be overwhelmingly salty. You can always ask that we go lite on the seasoning. Thanks for trying us out!
Jess04
Croatoan said:

By default, we cook medium-well to well-done. We are happy to cook to any temperature however. We also season heavily but it still should not be overwhelmingly salty. You can always ask that we go lite on the seasoning. Thanks for trying us out!
Good to know. I thought the burgers were a little overdone too and made it hard to appreciate the all beef Angus patty.

I went for lunch with a group of coworkers shortly after you opened and it was a mad house. The dinning room was packed. About half of our orders were incorrect and the portion sizes for the sides were all over the place. I returned my burger to correct the order and it came back wrong a second time (gave up after that). Some people in our group had huge potions of large sized onion rings, while others received only a few smaller sized onion rings, like they were the last of the batch. Also, some of the onion rings were overdone, almost burnt.

We'll give it another shot and see how it goes.
Legacy Work Spaces
I prefer my burgers well done. Love my steaks medium with some pink, but for some reason pink inside a ground beef patty drives me crazy! Went to Mr Hamburger the other day and enjoyed my meal. Look forward to returning as I need to try the Chili Cheese Dog next!
MTTANK
AG
LegacySuitesandSolutions said:

I prefer my burgers well done. Love my steaks medium with some pink, but for some reason pink inside a ground beef patty drives me crazy! Went to Mr Hamburger the other day and enjoyed my meal. Look forward to returning as I need to try the Chili Cheese Dog next!
Agreed on burgers vs steaks. In meats class at TAMU we were taught steaks were fine pink or rare in the middle. You kill the bacteria that have been compounding by cooking the outside of a steak, inside is protected so to speak because it has not come into contact with the air or blade you cut it with. The only way you can safely eat a burger not cooked through, is if it is fresh ground on the spot within a short window of time between grind and cooking it. In ground beef it has bacteria compounding inside from being ground up. Lots of people like them undercooked, and are alive to tell the story though. Just increases your risk of getting sick from consuming it that way.
GIG 'EM
Belton Ag
AG
Yeah, I would never, ever eat a hamburger pink on the inside unless I had just ground the meat myself in my kitchen with my equipment that I had sterilized prior to grinding.

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to eating at this place. Circumstances have kept me from getting over there but I will be soon. I read the menu and it looks awesome.
Legacy Work Spaces
MTTANK said:

LegacySuitesandSolutions said:

Agreed on burgers vs steaks. In meats class at TAMU we were taught steaks were fine pink or rare in the middle. You kill the bacteria that have been compounding by cooking the outside of a steak, inside is protected so to speak because it has not come into contact with the air or blade you cut it with. The only way you can safely eat a burger not cooked through, is if it is fresh ground on the spot within a short window of time between grind and cooking it. In ground beef it has bacteria compounding inside from being ground up. Lots of people like them undercooked, and are alive to tell the story though. Just increases your risk of getting sick from consuming it that way.
Helpful info. Thanks! Will let my friends who like pink inside their burger know as I have more than a few of them.
woodiewood1
Actually, Tom Dobson CEO and majority owner went to Southwest Texas University. Dont know if founder dad went to college.
Kitten With A Whip
Hit the drive-thru Friday afternoon just before 5 PM and it wasn't a great experience. I'll definitely go back because I think it's just a matter of working out the kinks and finding employees that care about their product.

Negatives about the experience:

-18 Minute wait in the drive-thru and I was the first in a growing line
-Burger not made to order
-Burger was dry and over-cooked
-No detectable seasoning or even salt
-Far too many fried peels instead of actual fries

Positives:

-Hand made patties (instead of pre-made pressed/frozen patties)
-Nice back yard grill flavor
-Nicely toasted bun
-Fabulous onion rings!
-Great ice

Overall, I think they have the potential to be one of, if not THE best burgers in town. This isn't your standard burger place like Burger King, Whataburger, DQ or JITB. I will definitely go back and give them another try or two. Unless the food is just horrid, I don't usually give up after just 1 or 2 early misses.

hcrt74
AG
Thought we would try it for the first time and found everything about our visit to be very underwhelming. For starters, I don't understand the rationale for charging the prices that they do. Nothing special about our burgers & fries. Just not willing to give this place another chance since there are much better options in B-CS.
legalbird
See? For the owner, it pays not to respond to anything.

Let the gourmet experts hash it out.

After reading all the comments, I will try it out this week. It sounds great.
Kitten With A Whip
legalbird said:

See? For the owner, it pays not to respond to anything.

Let the gourmet experts hash it out.

After reading all the comments, I will try it out this week. It sounds great.
No, it does indeed pay to respond. It shows he cares about his product and his customers. Positive feedback can be a good thing and that is what I was shooting for.
Croatoan
AG
Sorry to hear that KWAP. While we've been open 3 weeks now, the drive thru has been open only half of that time. We are working to train everyone to do it the same way every time. Clearly that doesn't always happen which is why you had your experience.

You will notice that none of the new premium burger joints have drive-thru windows. There is a reason for that. Making a fast casual burger in a fast food concept and maintaining made-to-order quality at low prices has exceptional challenges. We've had it down in Huntsville for a while and we will get it right here. Try us again soon and let me know how it goes please. Thanks for the feedback!
techno-ag
AG
It takes a long time at 5 Guys, too. Heck, I've waited 15 or 20 at Top of the Hill before. Well worth it.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
australopithecus robustus
Point taken but a drive through time of 18 minutes is beyond excessive. Drive through should be 5-10 for quality. For typical fast food, 3 or 4.

That said, I'd rather wait 10 or even up to 15 in fuego or Whataburger drive through than 3 at jack in the box for instance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.