HS Teacher Quits 2nd week of School?

7,481 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pudge
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Anyone find this odd? I'm happy to share the name, but didn't want to put it out there if I shouldn't.

Quote:

Dear A&M Consolidated High School Parents and Guardians:
This email is to communicate with you that **** ******, your child's former World Geography teacher, resigned on Tuesday, August 28th. We are committed to finding a top-notch teacher who will meet our needs--who would be suited to maintaining a disciplined environment, building positive relationships with students, using data to drive instruction, and someone who will be a continuous learner.
As we recruit a replacement for this position, we will have one of our top substitutes serving as the teacher.
Your support is appreciated. Feel free to contact me at NUMBER if you have any questions.

Mrs. Elder, Principal
JMac03
AG
He was also a basketball and golf coach.
Aggie
AG
Uh... with the behavior of kids today and stupidity of parents, I don't find it odd at all.
Throw in the fact that CSISD is a very low paying district, despite having high property taxes. One can teach in many many districts within an hour of college station and make quite a bit more $.
Only thing I find odd is that it doesn't happen more often

And no I'm not a teacher
carpe vinum
AG

Doesn't appear related, but I don't know the name of the referenced teacher.
JMac03
AG
Different teacher. This was done 8/28. What happens when a teacher breaks their contract?
montegobay
TEA can take their teaching certificate. So getting another public school teaching job in this state will be a no go.
UmustBKidding
[We have made it clear that when posters start that argument we are going to remove the post. -Staff]
JMac03
AG
Quote:

The job is posted online pretty easy to figure out who. I don't know the reason but people are making assumptions and word among the students is not that, and they knew exactly what was up the last two times with who and what. So I would ask to not assume the worst today.
I do not understand what you are saying here. I could understand assumptions. Are you saying the students are saying this isn't what it is? What do you mean "knew exactly what was up the last two times with who and what"?

And I am in no means assuming this teacher did anything wrong at all. I just do not understand what you wrote.
UmustBKidding
People on another thread are saying things that may or may not be why he is gone. He is gone/resigned and students agree he quit. Students are typically well aware of when inappropriate things are happening and will be happy to spill the beans. They have offered no such stories in this case.
doubledog
An administrator for BISD told me that about 40% of teachers quit before their contract is finished.
76Firebird
I am a teacher at AMCHS. Clearly I will not speculate or talk about rumors about why another teacher may or may not have left. Just to address the characterization of our profession and our school, that I have seen in this thread, I will say that this is my 20th year at that school and I feel blessed and happy to work there. Our administrators and our students are amazing. Sure there are a few bad apples now and then that can give you headaches, but overall it is a fantastic place to work that does not create burn out or make our lives miserable as it has seemd to be characterized so far in this thread.
carpe vinum
AG

Great to know. Thank you for posting.
JMac03
AG
UmustBKidding said:

People on another thread are saying things that may or may not be why he is gone. He is gone/resigned and students agree he quit. Students are typically well aware of when inappropriate things are happening and will be happy to spill the beans. They have offered no such stories in this case.

Another thread on here? Where is it?
UmustBKidding
Tail of this one I believe is referring to this individual and think it's way to early to call this.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2949178/last#last
double
AG
It is not the case that the kids aren't talking. And they are being very specific.
JMac03
AG
double said:

It is not the case that the kids aren't talking. And they are being very specific.
jeffk
AG
I've had it happen on campuses where I worked multiple times. Sometimes they get a non-teaching job offer and bail or other times they just can't take another day in the classroom.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

An administrator for BISD told me that about 40% of teachers quit before their contract is finished.
No, I think you misheard. Annual attrition rates overall hover above 10%. He or she was probably referring to first year teacher retention rates, which is tracked by the state according to district size. Here is the most recent report:
Teacher Attrition by District Size 2014-2017 (PDF) https://tea.texas.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=51539622924

Quote:

- Attrition of all teachers and especially beginning teachers was markedly higher for the smallest districts than for the largest.

- In the academic years shown, attrition of beginning teachers was about twice as high for districts with fewer than 500 students as for districts with 50,000 or more students.

- For smaller districts, attrition was markedly higher among beginning teachers than among all teachers.

- Attrition of beginning teachers and all teachers declined slightly for most size categories in academic year 2016-17. The remaining results were mixed or less pronounced.

Bryan & CS fall somewhere in the middle of the pack. The worst last year were the smallest districts where new teachers left after 1 year at an overall rate in the state by about 37%. It was much lower for larger districts, about half that.

Some people find out teaching is not for them, but most who plan to quit will stick it out for the school year before leaving.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
ro828
I knew of a teacher (same district I was teaching in, different campus) who quit at the end of his first day. Teaching assignments are binary just like shoes: they either fit or they don't. And many teachers quit in the middle of the day (one memorably quit in the middle of a faculty meeting) at the campus I was on, to the point where if a new person came on board you didn't bother learning their names until they'd been there at least two weeks.

As to suspending a person's certificate, I think that's reserved for gross impropriety.
montegobay
I want to add that I've been in public education in Texas for over 25 years and have never had a teacher at my school resign before the end of the year. However, if one did, I would completely support cancelling the teacher's certificate unless there were some extenuating circumstance. Our job is not easy. You know that when you sign up; suck it up, Buttercup and fulfill the obligation you agreed to fulfill.

The millenials come to teaching
Mathguy64
AG
If you have to resign after the school year starts because of something like a spouse getting transferred, a district will let it go. If you resign in mid year and they get a whiff that you are getting anther job at a different district or just bail, they absolutely will pull your certificate for a year. You failed to honor a valid contract and thats the price. And to be clear, the District holds the certificate. TEA doesn't take it or cancel it.
BrandoC
AG
As a coach myself, there is always a better job than where you are currently working. ALWAYS. As long as you communicate that you are leaving and are in agreement with the district nothing is wrong with it. Being in the classroom, even in the best school districts, is not the same as it was 10+ years ago. The younger generation does not have integrity and respect for teachers as they once did. As a male coach I can be stern and demand respect and get it in an athletic environment. In the classroom with many disrespectful kids who have no drive are raised by ignorant parents, is a different story.
Wicked Good Ag
I am sure there is more to both of these stories at AMCHS but until verified rumors can get out of hand. However that said I am surprised these stories haven't been verified by news outlets especially the one months ago
GoneGirl
AG
My son's algebra 2 teacher quit the week before school began. I'm not sure we read anything into that. Sometimes people move, especially if they aren't the primary bread winner.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Sinuso
AG
Happens all the time at my HS. I've taught there for 4 years and every year there has been at least one teacher who reaches the limit and just walks out. This year, we had one that made it all the way to the 3rd day of school.
pudge
As long as the oilfield is doing well and there are a lot of high paying jobs, you will see teachers getting out during the school year. They see it as a chance to get the money while they can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.