1775 Pit BBQ

24,857 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Anubus
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

K Bo said:

There is but it's not in the same ballpark as Brenham Truth, IMO

No it isn't. But the smoked Turkey 1775 has is one that makes you want to come back. Truth beats it in every category but Turkey and proximity

The way I read is that K Bo is saying the Brenham Truth is much better than the Houston location, not comparing to 1775.

Maybe I'm wrong, but he's replying to Halibut asking if there's a Houston location.
agfan2013
AG
toolshed said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

K Bo said:

There is but it's not in the same ballpark as Brenham Truth, IMO

No it isn't. But the smoked Turkey 1775 has is one that makes you want to come back. Truth beats it in every category but Turkey and proximity

The way I read is that K Bo is saying the Brenham Truth is much better than the Houston location, not comparing to 1775.

Maybe I'm wrong, but he's replying to Halibut asking if there's a Houston location.

That's how I read it too. Which would be odd as the main pit master/owner runs the pits at both locations depending on the day, but I've heard he spends more time in Houston these days so I'd figure that location would be better. Never been to Houston though, Brenham about 5 times now.

1775 is close but I'd give Truth a bit of an edge on comparing the two, but 1775 is definitely best in the B/CS area.

I'd be curious to the poster that thinks he's got 1775 beat on brisket, that's a tall task. And it's easy to baby a brisket or two on small cooks, remember it's much harder to crank out 40 all in one day that are phenomenal tasting.
TxSquarebody
Don't get me wrong. You won't hear me knocking 1775. They are good. I just think my BBQ is better. Also, whether it is 2 or 200, you're still baby sitting. Capacity+fire control+checking individual cuts=consistency across the cook. You might have 40 on the pit, but each cut is unique. I have capacity for 15 and routinely cook 5 at a time. Again, nothing bad to say about 1775. Quality food and good people. Head to head, I like mine.
kddub
TxSquarebody said:

Don't get me wrong. You won't hear me knocking 1775. They are good. I just think my BBQ is better. Also, whether it is 2 or 200, you're still baby sitting. Capacity+fire control+checking individual cuts=consistency across the cook. You might have 40 on the pit, but each cut is unique. I have capacity for 15 and routinely cook 5 at a time. Again, nothing bad to say about 1775. Quality food and good people. Head to head, I like mine.
The difference between Brad Doan and this guy is that Brad would only get on a thread about his competition to support them, not to say that his BBQ is better. The Doan family keeps it classy.
kddub
TxSquarebody said:

They're good. I think mine is better. Willing to give away a whole brisket Thanksgiving week to prove it. You can message me for details.
I think this is classless, but that's my opinion.
TxSquarebody
kddub said:

TxSquarebody said:

They're good. I think mine is better. Willing to give away a whole brisket Thanksgiving week to prove it. You can message me for details.

And worth every penny we all paid for your opinion. Again, 1775 is good food and good people. I've said that throughout. Sorry you have a problem with giving away free food.
kddub
TxSquarebody said:

kddub said:

TxSquarebody said:

And worth every penny we all paid for your opinion. Again, 1775 is good food and good people. I've said that throughout. Sorry you have a problem with giving away free food.
Class is the difference!
kddub
TxSquarebody said:

kddub said:

TxSquarebody said:

I would say the same nice things if i were highjacking my competitions thread like you're doing. This thread is about 1775 and you got on here to try to convince people that yours is better, even offering free food to prove it. Like i said, Doan would never do something like this, he would only support you as a fellow pitmaster. Doan worked hard to get to where people are starting threads about him on forums like this. His hard work is the reason this thread got started, not yours.
Rex Racer
AG
Love me some 1775! I need to get back out there this weekend.
pudge
I've heard good things about both places. I would be worried if the owner didn't think his food was the best. I don't know if this is the best place to post that, but it did get my interest up in both places. I live in Sugar Land, but I may need to take a trip to sample both places soon!
kddub
I had a chicken half at 1775 this weekend, it was incredible. I hope they add this to the daily menu.
Aggie
AG
kddub said:

I had a chicken half at 1775 this weekend, it was incredible. I hope they add this to the daily menu.

This
I went there this past weekend and was disappointed they didn't have chicken available
Everything else was great.
kddub
Was out there this weekend and found out they are now serving Nolan Ryan's new line of prime beef, Goodstock Black Label Prime. It was awesome, best I have ever had. Nolan Ryan is selling this exclusively to 1775 so this is the only joint you can get it in this area.
Broncos
Just checking in to say that 1775 is still slangin' exceptional meats...

The Goodstock brisket straight up melts.
dr_boogs
AG
What are their current days/hours for dine in?
Donny Hall
Donny Hall
pro tip: check facebook before you go

thur - sat 11am-sold out.

Also fun fact me and Ray Riley taught Brad how to cook

I also taught Jeff Savel how to use harbor freight stick welders so he could build the moberg pits
Broncos
Donny Hall said:

pro tip: check facebook before you go

thur - sat 11am-sold out.

Also fun fact me and Ray Riley taught Brad how to cook

I also taught Jeff Savel how to use harbor freight stick welders so he could build the moberg pits

Pro tip 2: get there early. I got there at 10:30ish the other day and by 10:50 there were at least 20 people in line.
ChampsAg
I didn't want to derail the boomtown thread.

1775 chicken is the best that I have had in town. Their ribs are my go to order.

I know that everyone has their own opinion but I just can't imagine what people see in boomtown, cooper's or c&j.
jja79
AG
They haven't been to 1775. If they had the others wo6be dropped like a hot potato.
AgsWin2011
AG
I still haven't made it out to try 1775 but definitely am going to someday. My favorite place in the surrounding area is LJ's in Brenham. Their brisket and pork ribs are amazing. Their sides are good too, especially the collard greens and Mac n cheese. Without a doubt the best Mac and cheese I've ever had.

I still need to make the trip to Snow's as well.
chickencoupe16
AG
Heismenberg said:

I still haven't made it out to try 1775 but definitely am going to someday. My favorite place in the surrounding area is LJ's in Brenham. Their brisket and pork ribs are amazing. Their sides are good too, especially the collard greens and Mac n cheese. Without a doubt the best Mac and cheese I've ever had.

I still need to make the trip to Snow's as well.

If you're going to Brenham, check out Truth's.
ChampsAg
LJ's is legit and even though not completely unknown, not as busy as Truth. Truth was amazing but open limited hours. LJs owners are great guys!
Anubus
I went to Truth BBQ the day just before the last Texas Monthly ranking was about to come out. They were there taste testing. IMO it is the best brisket you can get in the area. I want to try out LJ's but I haven't had the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.