1775 Pit BBQ

25,010 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Anubus
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Smetena Road. Only open Saturday and Sunday.
GSS
andyv94 said:

I like Martin's
I like their BBQ, but despise the super slow service at Martin's..
NRA Life
TSRA Life
(Removed:11023A)
AG
GSS said:

andyv94 said:

I like Martin's
I like their BBQ, but despise the super slow service at Martin's..

Yes that is their downfall
redsnapper101
Not a Marine, US Army.... Named it after the year of the inception of the US Army.

I think it's the best in town (BCS)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/1775-texas-pit-bbq-2018/
JWN Class of 1990
College Station
redsnapper101
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Three-local-barbecue-joints-make-Texas-Monthlys-top-list-508945121.html
JWN Class of 1990
College Station
Broncos
Update: still the best BBQ anywhere near Aggieland.
Bunk Moreland
Broncos said:

Update: still the best BBQ anywhere near Aggieland.

Without question.
TxSquarebody
They're good. I think mine is better. Willing to give away a whole brisket Thanksgiving week to prove it. You can message me for details.
Broncos
PM sent.
Corn Pop
TxSquarebody said:

They're good. I think mine is better. Willing to give away a whole brisket Thanksgiving week to prove it. You can message me for details.

I challenge you to a cook off
Broncos
There's only one way to solve this. We can set up a smoke off and I'll be the judge.
TxSquarebody
Corn Pop said:

TxSquarebody said:

I challenge you to a cook off

Challenge accepted! Winner gets bragging rights, everybody gets meat sweats!
maddiedou
AG
I am in. I will let txsquarebidy. Eric. Do mine and yall can have some for the taste

We need 3 real bbq expert judges not me and

Actually I will put a 12 pack of beer against anybody that want to challenge him and we can have the cookoff

maddiedou
Donny Hall
FlyRod said:

They sound pretty far from the bypass. Hope they make it.
They got featured in Texas Monthly so they are keeping up with new found fame.

When I went a year and a half ago they were just starting out. Ray at the meat science center mentioned it. First bite i knew this place would blow up and people would drive very far to try it.

I always used to say "remember me when there are giant lines out here and yall are famous"

lol
FlyRod
Just read the TM article and will check it out.

Interesting shoutout to the sausage from Ed's Butcher Block in Bryan...yet another place I need to check out now!
TxSquarebody
FlyRod said:

Interesting shoutout to the sausage from Ed's Butcher Block in Bryan...yet another place I need to check out now!

I recently heard that he passed away and took the sausage recipe with him. Haven't confirmed if it is any different.
TexasAggie_02
AG
FlyRod said:

People drive in from Houston or farther to try it. They have been featured in Texas Monthly, and the Texas Bucket List. They will do just fine.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

The Putz family sold Ed's after he passed away late last year. It's now the Texas Meat Market.
halibut sinclair
TexasAggie_02 said:

FlyRod said:

People drive in from Houston or farther to try it. They have been featured in Texas Monthly, and the Texas Bucket List. They will do just fine.
Folks - the "too far from the bypass" thing is a running gag on this board.
FlyRod
toolshed
AG
TxSquarebody said:

FlyRod said:

I recently heard that he passed away and took the sausage recipe with him. Haven't confirmed if it is any different.

The new meat market has "Ed's sausage" noted in the cooler cases. So I assume they got the recipe and are continuing to make it. Some of the guys behind the counter are the same as were there previously.
halibut sinclair
I would almost guarantee that Eddie's wife knows the recipe.
FlyRod
This thread has totally piqued my interest in both the bbq place and Ed's Butcher Block, and major fail on my part for not investigating either to date. But thanks y'all.
toolshed
AG
Well Ed's is now Texas Meat Market, so don't look for Ed's Butcher Block signs.

https://www.txmeatmarket.com/
FlyRod
I know. Old names die hard. Anyway it's just up the road...

And old butcher shops need/deserve our business so looking forward to checking this out.
ChampsAg
The new owners worked with Ed and kept one of the more popular butchers on staff. So the recipe is safe for now from my understanding.

1775 has been my go-to in town since my first visit. With the new bigger pit and the addition of pulled pork, Brad is killing it. The Doan family is top notch and I have become good friends with them all. They even allowed my sons to come out and sell raffle tickets for their homeschool basketball team.

My favorite is the ribs and turkey but the pulled pork is pretty damn good. You can't beat the sides either. On Fridays and some Saturdays, Brad's mom makes dessert.

On second thought, it all sucks! Stay away!!!
Thisguy1
I've gone twice and been close enough to see the front of the line and the ribs were sold out both times.

I'm not a big brisket guy but I've been forced to get the brisket both times and I loved it. I'll probably call ahead next time to hopefully get some ribs.
ChampsAg
Call before 10:30 I think.
K Bo
AG
Was going to head to Truth Sat morning for some ribs, brisket, sides, and carrot cake. Is it worth going to 1775 instead?

ETA: coming from Houston
halibut sinclair
K Bo said:

Was going to head to Truth Sat morning for some ribs, brisket, sides, and carrot cake. Is it worth going to 1775 instead?

ETA: coming from Houston
Isn't there a Truth in Houston also?
K Bo
AG
There is but it's not in the same ballpark as Brenham Truth, IMO
Omega6464
Understand the father and son are former Army.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Rex Racer
AG
nm
milner79
If y'all promise not to get in line ahead of me for future holidays, I will tell you that 1775 hit it out of the park with the turkey breast we purchased for today's dinner. Man! Delicious, tender, moist. We will be return customers.
Wicked Good Ag
K Bo said:

There is but it's not in the same ballpark as Brenham Truth, IMO

No it isn't. But the smoked Turkey 1775 has is one that makes you want to come back. Truth beats it in every category but Turkey and proximity
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.